What's new

What's the most effective "weight loss" sport?

Which is better?

• running

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • swimming

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • walking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • yoga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other / all of them are equally effective

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Live91

後輩
2 Oct 2006
I'm not sure which one, I'm hesitating between running,walking,swimming and yoga classes.Which is better?
[Don't worry I'm not a weight obssessed teen going anorexic or anything ^^ I just wanna get in shape because I gained a few pounds.]

Whatever you will do and keep doing without stopping is the best one for you.

Have fun.

Running is the best for burning calories, and especially interval training, but as Sabro says, it is best just to do something that you can enjoy and do consistently.

i voted for swimming.. maybe it's not the best for weight loss, but it is effective, and it does work on your entire body. as far as i know, it is only sport that can stretch/define whole body.. every part of body, almost every muscle included ;)

Hm, I see. Well I guess I'll run and swim then [stretching sounds good too me !]

Actually, I think a combination of two would do best. Perhaps running and swimming could do it for you.. or maybe just running and walking for you not to get injured. I used to jog and train kendo. ^_^.. I must start again... XP

Agree with Alma, Swimming is great for the whole body, plus I think it is fun!

( I want to do some swimming in Japan, but I don't know where to find some nice swimming pools, and how people in swimming pools think about nipple piercings....)

Agree with Alma, Swimming is great for the whole body, plus I think it is fun!

( I want to do some swimming in Japan, but I don't know where to find some nice swimming pools, and how people in swimming pools think about nipple piercings....)
I'm so embarassed when I'm swimming because well I look ahem..developped.So yeah I HATE when the lifeguards start staring or saying things that really are suspicious:
"how old are you>?
"Hey, you're not suppose to swim in this area!Only adults can go, but it's ok you can swim some more"'
That's why I always wear big baggy pants and sweatshirts.
>.> I swear, what a pain swimming in public pools!

Just something else to consider, high impact or weightbearing exercises are excellent for bone health, so running and yoga would both be excellent choices for that. Verg gradually going hard would be the way to go, as ligaments, joints, and tendons take longer to develop than muscle.

Beginner joggers are best off doing a couple weeks brisk walking, then doing a month or two of a combination slow jogging and walking, then slow jogging for a few months, and then a few months after getting into interval training. Interval training doesn't take a long time, twenty minutes at most.

Just thought I would elaborate more on exercise and bone health. There was a forty-five year old guy who cycled hardcore an hour everyday. He was however quite shocked to discover that his bones were as delicate as a person's of a much high age group. So as the article put it, 'he had the heart of a seventeen yeal old, but the bones of a seventy year old'. Also that Tour De France riders also see bone loss during their ride. Quite simply, calcium is lost in sweat, as well as that the body quits maintaining bones if their is no need for strong bones, just as the body quits maintaining muscle mass if one stops lifting weights.

People who only stick with low-impact or non-weight bearing exercises like cycling, swimming, or rowing aren't giving the body reason to maintain or build stronger bones. High impact exercises like running, skipping rope, mogul skiing, gymnastics are excellent for bone health, so long as one doesn't do these kind of exercises everyday. Also weight-bearing exercises like calisthenics, weightlifting, yoga are good for bone health.

Revenant said:
Also weight-bearing exercises like calisthenics, weightlifting, yoga are good for bone health.
I read that in my exercising book. Now, I feel this urge to go lift some weights.

What a lot of people forget is that even if you maintain your weight perfectly over time, if you do not lift weights your lean body mass begins to decline and your body fat increases.

Sport is one thing. Determination is another. With the right sport and discipline, you are on your way to a fit body.

Sport like swimming, basketball and skipping are good. You better don't give up half way because it is "pain". Good luck.

If you combine running and swimming, that is by far the best!

But...swimming is low impact and easy on the joints, where running can cause problems if done incorrectly. Bottom line, do what you find fun and you will burn the most calories...if you don't like it, you won't do it, and you won't burn any calories!

Dutch...why do you need a pool? Japan is surrounded by water...I swim in the ocean 3-5 times a week!

Swimming is the best exercise for the body, period. Running is great too, but it can hurt the joints in the knees like CC1 hinted to above. You must take it easy on yourself when running.

I would also recommend Rowing. It's also a great overall body workout. It's a great way to get toned. (You don't need an actual boat to row in. Their are rowing machines available in gyms. Most)

Also Remember, you can't spot burn fat. So simply doing sit-ups won't reduce belly fat. It will only build muscle underneath the fat.

Oh yeah. Drink lots and lots of water. Water is a Huge factor in weight loss.

PS: Please, no one ever go on the Atkins Diet. Your not losing fat, your losing muscle. You'll become quite lethargic as well. Not a healthy program.

Back
Top Bottom