What's new

What should I do?

Hi, Gold Coin Lover. I am not Japanese, so I probably cannot give you much information for direct comparison. I tend to shun news, although sometimes I miss it mostly because I find myself falling behind the recent news. I have a hard time understanding what is going on out there, and often feel news in politics and society are very detatched from me.
When I can understand the basic sense of the news piece, yes I agree with Joe that (although we were probably watching different news) they are depressing. It's not only me; I've talked to several people who shared the same reaction to news. These days I practically skip over news that I don't connect to, and see only what I can make some sense out of. Talk of tunnel vision; I am the god of tunnel vision ! :(
Politicians in general make me sad, but I admit some are hard working and try to bring some good out of what opportunity they have. I think my ignorance in many matters make me more depressed; on the other hand, some people who seem to understand the basics also seem not to care about much than the main trends, and go along. Convenient ?
At least your friend Joe seems to know his choice, and understands why he is doing it. I am not absolutely sure, but it sounds like he will not have much of a problem as long as he is functioning without the news. He sounds okay although a bit sensitive. Maybe he just feels stronger reactions to what is going on. As long as the news thing doesn't become a problem between you two. Don't let it bother you if it doesn't hurt - it sounds pretty innocuous to me ! :)

A couple or three years ago I started purposely avoiding the news as much as possible. Mainly because of watching a fellow on usenet who was a news junkie. He was the sort of genuinely compassionate person who couldn't help but take every tragic story to heart, it seemed. Given the nature of news, he stayed pretty upset most of the time. Upset to the point that the other people in the group were uniformly of the opinion that he was coming mentally/emotionally unhinged. Being at times considerably bummed out by the news myself, and having ample solitary time at work to reflect upon things and work myself up over how the humanity is going to hell in a handbasket, I saw in him what I did not want myself becoming. So I cut out the news. I later started again, but at a much more reasonable level of exposure to it.

There's such a thing as "information overload", and with modern innovations in worldwide communications it is very easy to become overwhelmed. It isn't that there is necessarily more bad/depressing/disheartening news in the world....it is just that it is so much more readily available to us than it used to be.

There is also such a thing as "compassion overload", and some people can quickly find themselves overwhelmed emotionally by all the bad news out there. The best solution for such people is to limit their exposure to it. Your friend seems to understand that the news bums him out and that the simple way to avoid the problem is to avoid the news. If it works for him and helps him through the day while harming no one else, then it seems like a good thing.

I don't think it is a cultural thing by any means, but rather an individual thing with your friend.

GoldCoinLover said:
Nevermind. Please disregard this thread.

That is not a nice thing to do when people are going to the trouble of typing up serious responses to your question. I'm going to leave my reply as it is, and if anyone wants context, they can ask you for it.

mikecash said:
That is not a nice thing to do when people are going to the trouble of typing up serious responses to your question. I'm going to leave my reply as it is, and if anyone wants context, they can ask you for it.

Sorry. My parents said that it was talking bad behind someones back, even though I didn't think so. I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Seeking help in understanding something that confuses you about another person, without revealing the other person's identity, strikes me as a positive thing to do. But I respect your parents' right to their opinion and agree that you should follow their guidance.

its not nice to post and ignore the replies when you wanted a direct reply, think before you post in the future.

That particular horse has already been whipped to death, jack2.

jack2 said:
not point out anything but why is this thread still open?
Aaah, just think of it as some headless chicken from the slaughterhouse that got loose, now running around the front yard...

mikecash said:
Seeking help in understanding something that confuses you about another person, without revealing the other person's identity, strikes me as a positive thing to do. But I respect your parents' right to their opinion and agree that you should follow their guidance.

My japanese friend has not been on AIM lately. He is very depressed that there are little vegan foods in japan and the description of the texture of the bones on the back of some dogfood labels. I am very worried about him.

GoldCoinLover said:
My japanese friend has not been on AIM lately. He is very depressed that there are little vegan foods in japan and the description of the texture of the bones on the back of some dogfood labels. I am very worried about him.
It sounds like your friend is into TV dinners adding to the difficulty. Have you tried linking him some Taiwanese veggie sites ? Being actively Buddhist with strict diets, they should have tons of stuff that he might be able to have shipped to Japan. Besides, couldn't he simply pick up fresh produce from the grocers ? Cooking is relatively easy if they come prewashed, precut if he hasn't the time. I'm sure they are not cheap in Japan, but veggies are cheaper than meat stuff. As for veggie dogfood, I am not aware of any. He should cook a bit more of everything for the doggy if he wants the pup to go vegan, too. Dogs will eat any leftovers from the master's plate, you know. ;-)

I am not surprised that you are worried about him. You mean there exists somebody who actually reads labels? :unsure:

Kinsao said:
I am not surprised that you are worried about him. You mean there exists somebody who actually reads labels? :unsure:

Do you think somebody who actually reads the labels on the back of food a bad thing? :?

Doc ☝

lexico said:
It sounds like your friend is into TV dinners adding to the difficulty. Have you tried linking him some Taiwanese veggie sites ? Being actively Buddhist with strict diets, they should have tons of stuff that he might be able to have shipped to Japan. Besides, couldn't he simply pick up fresh produce from the grocers ? Cooking is relatively easy if they come prewashed, precut if he hasn't the time. I'm sure they are not cheap in Japan, but veggies are cheaper than meat stuff. As for veggie dogfood, I am not aware of any. He should cook a bit more of everything for the doggy if he wants the pup to go vegan, too. Dogs will eat any leftovers from the master's plate, you know. ;-)

Thanks lexico. He actually is a major cook and cooks everything himself. If you want to know his website PM me. He's a great cook. but he says it is hard to find vegan food in japan. He has found alot of vegan foods in other countries though, but I dont think they ship to japan

Kinsao said:

Alot of people read labels on human food. But I don't think he should be worried about the labels on DOG food. There really isn't any vegan dog food.

Doc said:
Do you think somebody who actually reads the labels on the back of food a bad thing? :?

Doc ☝

Of course it's not a bad thing. 😌 It's just an unusual thing.

Or more likely I just move in the wrong circles... :unsure:

Kinsao said:
Of course it's not a bad thing. 😌 It's just an unusual thing.

Or more likely I just move in the wrong circles... :unsure:
No, worries. I didn't notice the label thingie as eccentric 'coz I read 'em all the time. They are fun to read, and very informative as to how the mfr's try to trick me. :p
Admittedly I am unusual (good point bw) bordering on the grotesque, baroque, gothic, bizarre; kids love it when I scare them, yeah ! 😲

GoldCoinLover said:
Alot of people read labels on human food. But I don't think he should be worried about the labels on DOG food. There really isn't any vegan dog food.

Not true. My friend`s dog is allergic to ANY animal proteins. So, he eats only rice, veggies and special Royal Canin food (which we mix with rice)

Back
Top Bottom