What's new

What is this delicious Japanese snack food?

YakeDake

Registered
25 Oct 2014
131.JPG

Anyone know what these are called? Delicious crunchy puffed rice(?) kinda crackers with a BBQ sauce like flavor. I had them several times in Japan from different convenience stores, these were from a Lawson. My city does not have a Japanese grocery store, so I was trying to get info I about this snack that I could use to search for an online purveyor and hopefully purchase them that way. Thanks for any info!

It's known as "kabuki age" in Kanto area including Tokyo (the three colours used on the package, red, green and black is the colours of curtain for Kabuki stage). It's deep fried rice cracker seasoned with soy sauce and sugar based ingrdients.
Kabuki-age, Japanese crispy fried rice cookie.

It's known under different name in Kansai area - Bonchi age (see the link offered by Majestic), maybe a bit different in taste as the colour of the latter is lighter.

Thank you both for the extensive info and the links. I was harboring some slight hope that since they were Japanese and made of rice that maybe they weren't so bad for you, but i guess they really are too good to not be deep fried! Basically junk food, but so good! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom