What's new

What is the furthest country/place away from the united states?

GoldCoinLover

後輩
24 May 2004
What is the furthest away place from the united states in the world? It could be a country, or an island. I thought it was new zealand, or is it? I really want to know.

Thanks

Why do you ask questions which you can answer by yourself doing a bit of research ? Take a globe, or check a world map on the net, and calculate by yourself ! What's more it depends if you mean Hawaii, Alaska, Maine or Florida when you say USA.

What you are looking for is the Antipodal point of the US, or wherever you might happen to be at the moment. I think you are thinking of the Antepode as a proper noun as used in the UK.
Today it is still used in the United Kingdom to refer to Australia and New Zealand, and the inhabitants of these countries are sometimes referred to as antipodeans. The Antipodes Islands lie off the south coast of New Zealand, supposedly at the antipodal point to Great Britain. Their true antipodal point is near Cherbourg, France.
Antipode, however, can be considered a generic noun as well, and according to this map linked from Wikipedia, your particular antipode would lie roughly somewhere in the southern Indian Ocean, off shore of Antartica. Imgine penguines, friend ! :D

Antipodal map superimposed

Thank you Lexico, I actually live in arizona. Macimao, I DID research this on google earth, but I couldn't find my answer.

GoldCoinLover said:
Thank you Lexico, I actually live in arizona. Macimao, I DID research this on google earth, but I couldn't find my answer.
The anitipode of Arizona would still lie somewhere in the south Indian Ocean, roughly mid point of Madagascar and Australian west coast, slightly south of that. Look in the map, Gold Coin. I have no magical source that you can't see. Trust your 5 senses; they are more reliable than you might think ! 🙂

lexico said:
The anitipode of Arizona would still lie somewhere in the south Indian Ocean, roughly mid point of Madagascar and Australian west coast, slightly south of that. Look in the map, Gold Coin. I have no magical source that you can't see. Trust your 5 senses; they are more reliable than you might think ! 🙂

Thank you. I don't understand the map though..I read the wikipedia article.

GoldCoinLover said:
Thank you. I don't understand the map though..I read the wikipedia article.
I understand. Reading maps is not intuitive as many people might think, and have to be learned. The good news is you can only get better with a bit of practice.

Color coding of the map (roughly)

Green or Gray-Green: Land as we see them.

Gray: Land seen from the other side of the earth, as if you were looking thru a transparent globe.

Gold Coin, try turning your head sideways to see upside down, and you will see in the southern Indian Ocean, North America upside down. It's actually not upside down only, it's also right-side-left as well as we are supposed to see thru the earth ! 🙂

GoldCoinLover said:

What did you type ? Just type "world map" and take a ruler to measure the furthest point. Watch out, the earth is round ! No big news, but that means that you have to go only halfway in both latitude and longitude. Arizona is about 110' of longitude west, so you are looking for 70' east (i.e. -180'). Tha latitude is about 40' north, so you want 50' south (i.e. 90 - 40). So, as Lexico said, you get somewhere south-east of Madagascar and South Africa.

GoldCoinLover said:
What is the furthest away place from the united states in the world? It could be a country, or an island. I thought it was new zealand, or is it? I really want to know.

Thanks

Probably somewhere in California ... or parts of New York City .... :D

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

The antipode of Auckland is somewhere around Spain. Therefore there are further places from the US than New Zealand (like Australia, for example). If it helps, you might want to check out a time zone map and add/subtract 12 hours.

Looks like the furthest point from Anywhere in America is somewhere in The Indian Ocean.

Back
Top Bottom