What's new

What are the steps to be fluent in Japanese?

Muz1234

Sempai
13 Aug 2014
Study and cram everyday? What are some of the best methods in becoming fluent in the language?

Immersion/constant exposure is the best method. And studying helps too of course.

Do you consider yourself fluent in the language? What are your progressing tips for the language?
Depends on the definition of fluent. I consider myself conversational since I use Japanese just about every day for past 25 years. But I gave up "learning" Japanese about 20 years ago.
But, basically, you have it correct. A lot of study is helpful. And, as I said, immersion -- or constant use -- is invaluable.
The three years I spent learning Japanese in school was nothing compared to my first 6-12 months living in Japan.

Practice, practice, practice.

I stopped formally learning Japanese after a few years, much like mdchachi. At that point, I continued to learn by reading, listening, and interacting with other people.

It's been over 10 years since I used Japanese on a regular basis, so I'm a bit slower than I used to be, and I have to concentrate a little harder. But I think it's like riding a bike. Once you've practiced enough to ride well enough, you never really forget it.

What about your parents, do they object you in learning Japanese?
It was never a problem for me. I think they were surprised by my choice and they were certainly sad and concerned when I moved to the other side of the earth from them. But they were always supportive.

What about housing and residence, do you buy it before you move into the country?

What about housing and residence, do you buy it before you move into the country?
No, afterwards.
I had temporary housing when I moved to the Tokyo and then found a more permanent place to rent using a real estate agent provided by my company. Of course I did some research on where to live before I moved there.

Which company in Japan that does temporary housing? Are there websites and links to the company?

Which company in Japan that does temporary housing? Are there websites and links to the company?

Back
Top Bottom