What's new

Watch Japanese TV Overseas

Glenn

一切皆苦
8 Jan 2004
Just by pure chance, I happened to come across this page (wasn't even looking for anything like it), which sells two ways of watching Japanese TV while outside of Japan. One is through what they call Flash TV, which looks like a Mac Mini, and the other is through a USB flash drive. They seem a bit expensive -- $500US for the Flash TV device and a year of service or $285US for the flash drive and a year of service -- but it may be worth it if you've got some extra cash and don't have much occasion to watch Japanese TV (or if YouTube just isn't cutting it).

The website is all in Japanese, though, so you'll need at least enough language proficiency to get through it and place your order.

https://flashtvbox.com/?gclid=CP3u6cigjbkCFSdp7Aodc1oAZw

I have a satellite box that can connect to tv tokyo and some other channels. If you have satellite you can probably get it for free can't you? My dad had a friend of his who's good at this stuff do it.

There are maybe two channels available here with out current provider (AT&T U-verse), but I'm not sure how much more they are. They aren't 36 or 38 channels, to be sure, though. Also, the problem I have with satellite dish TV is that they tend to be really unreliable in certain weather conditions, like rain.

Presumably you need an internet connection faster than Usain Bolt to make the most of it, though.

There is so much どっちの料理ショー available on youtube that I don't know why I would ever pay for TV.

Crunchyroll is a decent option. Nowhere near what actual cable service would get you, but good.

Last edited by a moderator:
@letianchen - どっちの料理ショー doesn't have subtitles unless you count random phrases appearing on screen for effect. ;)

You can get some news clips from youtube organised here, and some have Japanese subtitles, but they're not always properly synced.

Presumably you need an internet connection faster than Usain Bolt to make the most of it, though.

There is so much どっちの料理ショー available on youtube that I don't know why I would ever pay for TV.

The site says download speeds of 2 Mpbs are enough, and my connection gave me 5.86 when I tested it.

I suppose YouTube is fine if all you want to watch is どっちの料理ショー. That's not my bag of tea, though, and I've been hard pressed to find anything more interesting to me (although the old 太陽系の旅 was pretty cool). Youku, Tudou, and 56.com used to have some stuff that was interesting (キミ犯人じゃないよね? comes to mind), but it seems copyright law has finally caught up with them. Of course, if I'm wrong and there are more interesting things out there, please let me know. I still haven't managed to finish 龍馬伝, and I'd love to see the るろうに剣心実写版. Come to think of it, though, I am a bit out of the loop, so I may just be missing it all. Again, please let me know if you know of any place where all this is available. I'm all about not spending hundreds of dollars on things that can be had for free. :D

Those options look very expensive.

The 30 usd i'm paying is more than enough for watching jap tv, for more information you should ask the asian guy that has a slingbox connected to a jap satellite receiver. ([email protected])

I've been able to watch sports, anime, movies, jdramas and culture stuff on hd.

i hope this helps to anyone looking for a cheaper option.

The Asian guy that has a slingbox connected to a Japanese satellite receiver? Is this someone we're all supposed to know? It sounds like someone down the street from you the way you put it.

Share another option to watch Japanese TV live online or by its app: ForJoyTV.
For people living outside of Japan, it is really a must.

Back
Top Bottom