What's new

Transgender issues in japan

Rachel

Mad Bee Hatch
9 Aug 2003
Do the japanese reconise the differance between TS's and Tv's. Do they reconise any other forms of Transgender ?

If I was to go out there what kind of reception could I expect as a Transsexual. Would they be ok with me as a society or could I expect the same kind of warm, friendly "Welcome" I get from the pakistani community ?

Ps. Sorry about the spelling I'm Dyslexic.

Last edited:
I don't know much about this, but I'd like to. I know there are transvestites there--I think they even donated the huge pink phallus for the Kawasaki festival--but I don't know how well received transvestites and transsexuals are taken there. I'd like to know too. I know that the Japanese people I know have told me that they think that the Japanese are not very accepting of it, but it could vary from place to place, I don't know...

If I was to go out there, what kind of reception could I expect as a Transsexual.
I guess you mean going en femme out in public in general. Well, I don't know that, but I wanted to add my comment here anyway. of course, it depends first on you, how you look like and behave etc. on the other hand, it acts on the subculture you are into. I mean, for example, Gothics are more tolerant of gender-related stuff then society in general. You often see (in the city I live in) gothic guys walking around in black long skirts and such, and no one cares. or if you are in the BDSM scene, as another example, people welcome you even more if you live the way you want to. So it just depends on who you are and with whom you are where. but I guess that's always the case, huh? :)

I know that the Japanese people I know have told me that they think that the Japanese are not very accepting of it, but it could vary from place to place,...
in matters of the place thingy, that's true (again, I can relate to Germany). For example, cologne (where I live) is known for its tolerance, and thus a lot of minorities are happily living here. Too, it's not that special if you see a guy (mostly at university) running around in a skirt (not for a costume but because the guy wants to), and again I don't think anyone cares. While in other places in Germany people are fare more old-fashioned.

But I'm really interested in the topic in matters of japan too. Like what is thought of transgender people, what does the government do to help them, how do families, friends and so on react?
Thank you for any replies :)

just wanted to say that i think its sad that this topic gets no reply at all. if the non-replying gives us a clue on the answer to the above asked questions? :confused:

Originally posted by maji
just wanted to say that i think its sad that this topic gets no reply at all. if the non-replying gives us a clue on the answer to the above asked questions? :confused:
possibly ?
It's intresting that the only people to reply to it are western !
No ones even given a personal view on it, is there that much shame to be had by even giving one in their society ?

:confused:

Don't understand??

Maybe no replys because of not understanding the question. If you were a man dressing as a woman I could see your worry. Are you planing on dressing as a man? If you mean being a lesbian with a female lover wrapped around you out in public I can see your worry. My guess is in Japan you could do what you want and they would just treat you like a gijen. Probably less reaction then you would get in most other countries.
How do you get treated in your neighborhood? Most young people today seem pretty much open to anything.

Maybe no reply because of not understanding the question. If you were a man dressing as a woman, I could see your worry. Are you planning on dressing as a man? If you mean being a lesbian with a female lover wrapped around you out in public, I can see your worry.
hm, I guess Rachel just asked about the general situation of how people in japan react to other people not fitting into the typical gender role, and how much Japanese people, in general, knowledge about the subject even if not involved in it themself (as an example, knowing the differences of transsexual, transvestite and so on).

I wonder if its a negative thing that japan changed in that gender way a lot (mainly due to western influence?) since at times male kabuki players playing roles of women even lived the rest of their life as a woman.
Well, I don't know. your opinion is asked. :)

Originally posted by maji

i wonder if its a negative thing that japan changed in that gender way a lot (mainly due to western influence?), since at times male kabuki players playing roles of women even lived the rest of their life as woman.
well, i dont know. your opinion is asked. :)
I don't know in general, either, but with my boyfriend (mid-40's) it is the only kind of prejudice I've ever remotely seen with him and he always acts a little abashed about it but still can't seem to help himself. Maybe it is based on such an inbred attitude from a conservative childhood or he's had some negative experience with gays (the other orientations have never come up), I've never asked. Anyway, he seems to be able to spot them quite precisely -- once noticing a gay man on television (I didn't even realize, but he said there was some makeup on) and even having his underwear stolen at a hotel onsen. :p Although also saying straight up that gay bar entertainers were funnier than any other kind -- which may well be taken as a backhanded compliment. 👍

To answer all of your questions, research this name:
Aya Kamikawa (Setagaya Ward Assembly).

You'll find out whether or not Japan is accepting of transgendered individuals.

in matters of the place thingy thats true (again i can just relate to germany). as example cologne (where i live) is known for its tolerance and thus a lot of minorities are happily living here. too, its not that special if you see a guy (mostly at university) running around in a skirt (not for a costume but because the guy just wants to) and again i dont think anyone cares.while in other places in germany people are fare more old-fashioned.

but im really interested about the topic in matters of japan too. like what is thought of transgendered people, what does the government do to help them, how do families, friends and so on react.
thank you for any replies :)

A guy running around in a skirt! Thats great. I would enjoy that too! Rather than just restricting to those plain mens wear.

Rachel, it is tough to generalize because, as you know, we are all different. However, as in any country, no one will check to see how your sex coincides with your gender. No one, but you and those you chose, has a right to know what's between your legs.

If you choose to share your view on gender and TS experience with people, I have found many people are very open to listening. I find it helpful to explain what stereotypes are and ask what the common stereotypes are for males and females.

Then go on to explain how sex and gender are unrelated and separate. I like using the house analogy. Explain how our bodies are like a house. Sex is like the plumbing, and gender is the wiring. Though both are in the same house, they are separate and used for different things.

Next, go on to explain how people often view gender to be black and white. If you are male, people are expected to act one way. If we are female, people expect us to act another way. Then explain how we rather view ourselves in a grey area. How we define gender as who we are, not what society says we should be. Then it would be helpful to show how it is rare to find someone who fits a stereotype to the point of being completely black or completely white.

At this time, I usually get the question of what do we like to dress. Then it is always helpful to ask them why do you like their favorite color? Why do you like the taste of your favorite food? Why do you like anything more than anything else? People will be unable to answer other than do. Then to affirm that this is okay and that this is just life. Then go back to the question of who we are, what we like, what we do, isn't something we choose. It's something we are born with.

Being transgender (wherever anyone falls under this umbrella definition) is something we are born with. It's not a defect, but rather at many times, something wonderful. Gender-enhanced.

Sorry for the long post. Just remember to approach everything with the willingness to talk, explain, answer questions. However, not everyone needs to know, and some people will feel more comfortable not being fully aware.

I hope this helps in some way. My current girlfriend is Japanese, and I have helped explain and have her understand transgender issues.

AngkorianKnight said:
Wait a second? Aren't there Japanese transexuals?

Yeah! There are. The question I think though is how Transexuals and others who fall under the transgendered term are recieved and accepted in Japan.

In general, not as expected as non-gay people. There was an article a few months ago (which Maciamo provided) that said the Japanese fear a gay neighbour more then a criminal one.. says nuff right?

There are Japanese and foreign transvestites/transexuals everywhere, all you need to do is look in the right places.

Back
Top Bottom