What's new

COVID-19 Tokyo, Osaka, and other areas lifting restrictions on dining out

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Good news for those nightbirds who love to enjoy their evening sake out: Tokyo, Osaka, Kanagawa, Chiba, and Saitama are lifting all restrictions on dining out and serving alcohol. We got used to having our sake at home and will continue with 晩酌. :)

Tokyo and three neighboring prefectures of Kanagawa, Saitama and Chiba, as well as Osaka, eliminated curbs on the serving of alcohol and the operating hours that had been introduced to keep coronavirus infections from spreading. The easing of curbs came as infections nationwide continue to be on a downtrend. [...] Some 102,000 eateries in Tokyo have been certified as having taken the necessary coronavirus measures and are no longer subject to a request to stop serving alcohol by 8 p.m. Around 18,000 noncertified dining establishments will remain under the old restrictions and must stop serving by 9 p.m. "I am grateful that we can work normally now," said a 40-year-old female member of staff at a bar in Tokyo's Kabukicho nightlife district.

You know, I thought that all restrictions had been lifted at the end of September - that's how little they have been publicised!

That shows how little the general impression of the widespread populace may differ from those acutely attuned to the izakaya situation.

My Facebook/Twitter/etc. feeds are almost entirely comprised of people who (like me) appreciate and/or provide good food and drink, and believe me, we were all acutely aware of when our favorite watering holes were opening up again and/or returning to normal hours. ;)

I'm also more likely to be in a bar in the afternoon (usually a single beer with a friend when we go on a walk) or early evening than late, which is perhaps why the restrictions in October escaped my attention.

I'm also more likely to be in a bar in the afternoon (usually a single beer with a friend when we go on a walk) or early evening than late, which is perhaps why the restrictions in October escaped my attention.
Because by the time evening comes around you're already passed out. :p

Back
Top Bottom