What's new

Spicy Japanese food?

A5573A

先輩
20 Apr 2005
Everytime I go to Japanese restaurant or buffet, I never see any spicy food. Generally , I'm of the belief that Japanese food is never spicy, unlike the Chinese and Korean.

Can anyone give me some information?

Thanks. 🙂

Traditional Japanese food is not spicy, though they use different kind of spices.
However, you can choose to sprinkle "shichimi" (seven spices including hot red pepper) on your food. My mother used to sprinkle a lot of "shichimi" on Udon.
🍜

Japanese food is not normally spicy - my opinion is that the emphasis on fresh ingredients has traditionally elminated spices since the flavour of rancid, sour or otherwise distasteful food has simply not been there to disguise.

But, recently, here in Canada, I have started to bump into "Spicy" sushi - which seems to be flavoured with chilli oil or powder.

It's bloody hot ! (But I sense - not authentic ... ).

Any others have more info .... ?

Regards,

ニ淡ニ停?。ニ停?

I've had the seven-spice stuff with my udon before (one of the resturaunts here gives you an entire shaker of it with your meal to season it yourself, and another just puts about five tablespoons worth in the soup before bringing it to you) and really liked it; otherwise, if you want something spicy I'd suggest sushi with wasabi. ^_^

Traditional Japanese food is not spicy, though they use different kind of spices.
However, you can choose to sprinkle "shichimi" (seven spices including hot red pepper) on your food. My mother used to sprinkle a lot of "shichimi" on Udon.
🍜

To me most of the foods are not really spicy. Whenever I'm home, I always put a spoonful of Shichimi or Ichimi on Soba.

Plus, I always dust Unagi with a spoonful of sansyo. I also eat Ramen covered with black pepper on it.

"Curry rice" I've tried is soft enough for recovering surgery patients.

Their not big on spices I reckon, unless added by yourself, though Wasabi is obviously notorious for being hot (not spicey).

I once had a meatball dish where the meatballs and sauce were so spicey and hot I couldnt taste the tomato or meat.

I'de rather have well used spices that add to the flavour rather then just for the sake of causing a mouth-inferno.

Back
Top Bottom