What's new

Racism in Japan

Originally posted by wan pak hin
gaki what is your slight problem?? not all chinese guys who have japanese girlfreinds are like that!!, take for example ME!! me and my girlfreind have a reason for being with each other and that simply is WE BOTH LOVE EACH OTHER!!, i mean i met her at the college i went to in london! and me and her started getting to know each other and found that we have alot in common! and from their our relationship grew! soo.. NOT ALL chinese guys are like that gaki ok!, but then again if that is a "reason" which it is! then i am guilty and i am a idiot!, but.. i would argue against that as i am quite smart!, and could probably out smarts people like you gaki!, although i am not trying to argue i am just trying to point out not all chinese guys have a specific reason for liking japanese girls!, hmm... kirei na-me is married to a japanese person, and she has probably the same reason as why i like my girlfreind who is japanese! and that is simply "I LOVE KAORI!!" and i am sure kirei na-me definetly loves her husband!, and you could also say gaki "i think japanese guys who love white women for <insert reason> are idiots!" here me and kaori see many japanese men with women from different cultures!, but still you criticise maybe me and maybe dreamtime and other chinese guys on this forum i guess!, well.. sorry for argueing a little it is not nice to argue but i am simply trying to make a point ok!

It's hard to read what you said, learn how to use paragraphs.

My "slight problem" is with idiots.

I dunno why you are getting so upset i never said that YOU was an idiot. *rolls eyes*
My point was that people who judge an entire race of people because of the few bits and pieces of information they acquire, arent as informed as they would like to think they are.

I heard Chinese people eat rats and dogs, but you dont see me going around calling every Chinese person a dog/rat eater.

Well, gaki, do not worry. I eventually will learn how to use paragraphs properly. Still, I did not pay attention to English lessons back in secondary school long ago! All my teachers were not English, so I did not learn much! Indeed, you did not say I am an idiot. However, the generalization was still made in as "Chinese guy's", so I make it a slight problem that I need to sort out.

YOU ARE WRONG!! Nope, we do not eat rats and dogs anymore. If you live in London, please take a trip to the Korean embassy and see what they have been protesting for the last year or so! I think you might find it interesting gaki, things I tend to eat are lizards, eel's, shark fin soup, fish eye's, squid etc.. kind of every day normal things.

Well. I know my grandad had eaten a dog before when he was a child or so he says, remember a long time ago China was a very developing country and where my family come from in china which is NT to get a decent cooked meal you would have to travel many many miles to get to big town or city back in time when NT part of HK was mainly farming area! Soo.. nope, not many people eat dogs and rats in HK now! I don't know about the rest of the mainland, but I do not concern myself with their problems!

I know they dont eat rats/dogs -_-;

I was making a generalisation to show how stupid generalising is.
Generalising can become stereotypes, stereotypes can become racism.

Why would i call all Chinese guys idiots, when i'm one myself ?

actually dogs are still eaten in southeast asia. my friend has eaten it before said its good. i would eat it as well. i dont see what the big deal is. dog is meat just the same as a cow, or rabbit, kangaroo or whatever other animal. why nitpick? i dunno about rats but they prolly taste similar to squirrels. if youre worried about them being dirty, pigs roll around in filth all day as well, but nobody complains about the bacon.

Im starting to think its not worth geting up in the morning. I think that humans have been on the same planet for too long,i wonder if the space program will sky-rocket again:D (forgive the pun)?

What is so wrong with eating dog or cat or any animal? The same way Americans eat animals that are considered taboo to eat in different culture, other cultures eat animals that are considered taboo in America. Get over it; it's called cultural differences. The world would be a lot duller if we didn't have such differences.

Hey guys. As a multiracial black American, I just want to put in my two cents.

First, about the Chinese/Japanese history, I don't know much, but Japan, especially in the days before World War II--and after the Russo-Japanese war---were upset with the United States because America discriminated against Japan, as an Asian country. The ill-feelings that the Japanese gov't felt towards the United States eventually spilled over to their Chinese allies.

During the 1919 Paris Peace Conference Japan proposed a "Racial Equality Clause" which was denied by United States, Britain and Australia. I believe that this also contributed to Japan's Nationalism. There wasn't another Asian country like Japan during that time period, and they couldn't even turn to their allies for support. All they could do was to turn to themselves.

The relationship between the Chinese and Japanese truly went awry during the war of Japanese agression. A lot of folks harbour resentment because of that. It's kind of like Blacks and Whites in America. There is a lot of resentment because of our history, but over time, that changed when we began to interact.

I believe Japanese-Chinese interaction would be wonderful for both countries, and both peoples.

Now, with the issue of Taiwan, Taiwan has always been an independent state. The Chinese actually came to Taiwan to take it over, first in AD 239 when folks from the Yu kingdom sent about ten thousand troops to try to seize the Island.

Taiwan eventually became the first republic in Asia--the Formosa Republic. However, the republic was quickly overcome by the Japanese, and stayed under Japanese rule until the end of the Second World War.

Soon after, during the reconstruction after World War 2, China was given control of Taiwan. America and other countries that had once recognized Taiwan as an independent sovereign nation pulled out. Many of this countries, I believe, are willing to risk an entire nation's freedom in order not to piss China off. That's just wrong.

I know Taiwanese people. They consider themselves Taiwanese, not Chinese.

But enough about history!!!

I feel that a lot of immigrants that come to this country are afraid to teach their children their native languages, because of the negative backlash they may receive. It's terrible, but true. They feel that if their children only learn the language of the country they are in, they will be more of a citizen of that country...like, they will be more American.

:)

carla"My gosh they can be open to trying things."

That they are =0 Some of em are even to kinky for me...

As for discrimanation and what ever... Honestly I feel people should be able to think what ever they want and when it comes down to it, Every one discriminates at one time. Would you give a guy in a KKK outfit a ride? If you don't you are no differnt then him /shrug.

another VERY interesting thing is that japan ALLOWS insider tradeing which has costed us in the USA billions and caused many companys to totaly fail. Yet they consider it expected to act on insider info.

Originally posted by Keeni84

I feel that a lot of immigrants that come to this country are afraid to teach their children their native languages, because of the negative backlash they may receive. It's terrible, but true. They feel that if their children only learn the language of the country they are in, they will be more of a citizen of that country...like, they will be more American.

:)

That criticism might well be applied to Japan, but America? Come on, there are tens of millions of immigrants there speaking their native language in the home. And far more people encourage this than criticize it.

Matthew C Perry:

There are millions more who do not teach their children the native language, especially recent Hispanic immigrants that move to Northern places, small cities and country estates.

In my hometown, diversity was encouraged. However, in the surrounding cities that are mostly upperclass "white" neighborhoods, speaking English is prime. These parents who move into exclusive neighborhoods want their children to be as American as possible, and that means having English as the first (and only) language.

You may not believe this to be true but I've talked about this phenomena for years and years with members of my community and surrounding communities. It isn't a fluke. Also, many children often refuse to speak the native language at home, seeing it as weird or strange, especially if they are native born Americans. This also, is not a fluke. You should research this. Look around, read books. There are poems, books, articles and forums devoted entirely to this topic. You might surprise yourself.

Yes, millions of immigrants speak their native language, and teach their children the native language, but let's not forget about the millions who do not.

Okay, I would say that I know and speak on a regular basis with at least 10 native Japanese women who married Americans and moved here. Out of those 10, none of them used Japanese with their children, and each one of them told me that the reason was because they thought their children would never use it. One of the women is even a Japanese teacher at my mom's high school, and her sons still don't know how to speak Japanese or read Japanese.

I, on the other hand, want my children to know Japanese and be able to speak and read it. Their father uses nothing but Japanese when communicating with them, but I still don't think that's enough. They don't hear conversation enough. They understand what their father is saying perfectly and they know quite a bit of vocabulary, but they can't use it in conversation. They are only 6, 4, and 2, though, so I'm hoping they still have plenty of time to grasp it.

Me too. I want my kids to be able to be able to converse in my mother tongue as well as whatever mother tongue their father speaks (if different from mine). It's just better that way, I think. And it gives them more opportunities--as well as keeping them in touch with their heritage.

My Aunt is Chinese and she speaks Chinese with her kids when we're not around, but speaks English when we're all around. I think it's nice that she's trying to teach her children Chinese. (She's also an immigrant).

Originally posted by jeisan
actually dogs are still eaten in southeast asia. my friend has eaten it before said its good. i would eat it as well. i dont see what the big deal is. dog is meat just the same as a cow, or rabbit, kangaroo or whatever other animal. why nitpick? i dunno about rats but they prolly taste similar to squirrels. if youre worried about them being dirty, pigs roll around in filth all day as well, but nobody complains about the bacon.

rats are infamous for disease and sickness. that is disgusting.

Keeni, the problem in America today is not immigrants who don't pass on their language, but those who never master the language of their new country - English. The number of people residing in the US who do not speak and read English well has risen dramatically in recent years. If this trend continues, and there is no reason to think it won't, English/Spanish bilingualism with become a prerequisite for many jobs. Do you speak Spanish fluently? If not, how does the trend toward linguistic division, and bilingualism help you? Being bilingual is a plus for individuals, but not for nations. You talk about "diversity" as if it is something that everyone knows is benificial. Just how do you think this sort of diversity will benifit you or America?

I speak and write (moderate) Spanish, Czech, French and English, and I'm working on Japanese. Of COURSE I believe that diversity is beneficial, and not just for myself.

I cannot help the fact that immigrants who come to our nation--whether it be for work, study or a chance at a better life--do not seem to "grasp" English fully. What I CAN help is THEM. I can learn their native languages and converse with them. I can help them get jobs. I can tutor them. I've worked with international students from all over the world, as well as ESL students.

I cannot hold the entire weight of the US immigrant population on my shoulders, but at least I am trying to help the situation instead of just sit back and do nothing.

Personally, I always thought that American needed another language in it's midst. If Spanish is to be that second language, then so be it. We need a more international/lingual perspective.

interesting thread. my own view,

ofcourse japan is racist. every single country in the world is racist. i don't find the japanese particularly racist though, and i don't feel they are aggressively racist either. no doubt someone will come up with some examples to contradict my opinion, just to say, i am obviously, generalising here.

with regards to the discussion of racism in japan, i'm am constantly annoyed by people from my own country and in general white western culture accusing japan of being racist. the japan today forums are full of **** like 'japan is the most racist country in the world'. this coming from people who come from cultures that have always discriminated against poeple of colour/from other countries. the right has been on the rise all over europe in the past few years and racist groups have been gaining more and more support. for me the only really difference between say, the us or the uk and japan is the rhetoric. politicians and media have a well developed politically correct vocabulary and when you are immersed in a nice social group its tempting to believe things aren't so bad. do a bit of digging though and the reality is shocking.

it can be a depressing world

christ i'm being miserable :)

Originally posted by Timsan
rats are infamous for disease and sickness. that is disgusting.

Rats can be quite nice pets, too. Just like guinea pigs. & just like guinea pigs you can eat them, too. It's only a matter of hygiene when breeding them.

Originally posted by kokishin-no-neko
At least Japanese xenophobia seems to look after the Japanese in a way I guess - the UK has slipped into a state of near-racism against itself now.
The population group with the least rights here in England seems to be young to middle aged white English males. I don't believe foreigners should be discriminated against, but at the same time neither should natives.

i have no idea what your politics are but this idea that white middle class males are discriminated against in britain is utter nonsense. total fantasy peddled by the right to try and gain a foothold wherever they can and by tabloid newspapers whose only motivation is to make money. point this out, you get labelled a politically correct extremist because at the end of the day, they have no worthwhile evidence to offer, so resort to name calling.

People will start screaming how racist Japanese are, when this Kyodo article appears in Japan Times like this.
Those locals over there still seem to lack education about virtues of racial equality in the rest of the world, which is a shame.

btw African-American baseball stars in NPB leagues as well as those wangster Jap rap/hip-hop artists are conviniently forgotten when they criticize discrimination issues there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom