What's new

Racism in Japan

Originally posted by wan pak hin
well dream time indeed you are right!! as you are chinese i am sure your grandparents have told you many stories about what the japanese did to our people! as a matter a fact their have been many films elaborating how the japanese and chinese people hate each other, their was a really good bruce lee film which elaborated this perfectly!! and a jet li film called: once upon a time in china, that film also elaborates about, the problems china had with foreigners wanting to take over china, and all the problems the foreingners brung to china, and takeing chinese women etc.., hmm.... dream time are you a han chinese or a yue chinese?? because han chinese people look down upon me and my family, as we are not "pure chinese" to them!!, and yep we indeed do call china "MIDDLE KINGDOM" hmm.. let me try and romanise the character, i guess it would be ZUNG GWOK maybe in romanised cantonese hmm.. i am not 100% certain though so if my romanised chinese is no good please tell me??, and indeed my grandparents have not forgot what japanese people did to our race, and even my mother gives me warnings about japanese women, to tell the truth i have not got a problem with japanese people as most of my freinds here are japanese, and my girlfreind is japanese, but if i ever want to get married to my g/f, my mum and grandparents will definetly not approve, and dis own me!!, my fatehr has no problems with japanese people either, it is just my mum's side of family, well.. to tell the truth i agree we should just let it be history but i think an apology from japanese goverment would be nice!! and about taiwan, mainland china does not like taiwan as it is called a "REBEL STATE!" so their is even problems with our own race dream time!

well actually my grandparents never really told me about what Japanese did to Chinese,my father's father passed away before I was born,and mother passed away when I was young.
my mother's mother passed away when I was 8,and I am not very close to my mother's father.

I am yue Chinese~
I know some han Chinese look down upon us,but thats the problem of China,some people of different regions would look down upon people of other regions.

if the Japanese never apologize and regret of what they did,there will not be true peace between China and Japan,it is a serious problem that the Japanese government keep brainwashing their people.

Japan and US just want to somehow take control of Taiwan and make China angry
I think Taiwan is a part of China and I don't want them to go independence especially when Japan and US are helping them because there are lots of things behind this.

I would like to have a Japanese girlfriend but there aren't many Japanese people here,probably more Koreans than Japanese
if I ever get a chance to have a Japanese girlfriend,I think my father will have no problem of it.
but I have heard that if a foreigner wants to marry a Japanese girl,then the foreigner must change his last name to be the same as Japanese girl's family? is it true?

Originally posted by kirei_na_me
Well, that's not what some of the Japanese people I know say. That might be the true meaning, but they mean it more in a metaphorical sense. In other words, they think China is too arrogant, hence saying that about the center(middle). I have found out in the past years that Chinese people think they are superior to Japanese and the Japanese think they're superior to Chinese. Obviously, there is no right answer. Both are entirely different and I find neither to be any more superior than the other.

I think it is a serious problem that one race thinks they are superior than another race.

from what I've read from history,Japanese people actually started to think they are superior than the Chinese like more than 500 years ago,I don't know why

actually there are many people of the strong countries being too arrogant,Chinese,Japanes,Americans...

I am definitely proud to be a Chinese,my culture and my powerful country (as it lasts for 3000 to 5000 years)
but I do not think my race is superior to any other races,
I've had many friends of other races
like Koreans,Philipino,Vietnamese,Caucasian,Romanian,
Yugoslavian,Black,Mexican,East Indian....ect....

Originally posted by Dream Time
I think it is a serious problem that one race thinks they are superior than another race.

from what I've read from history,Japanese people actually started to think they are superior than the Chinese like more than 500 years ago,I don't know why

actually there are many people of the strong countries being too arrogant,Chinese,Japanes,Americans...

I definitely agree, Dream Time. I'm American, and I happen to think the U.S. is the most arrogant country in the world. I think that's a big problem we face. Everyone thinking they're better and more powerful than the others.

You're very right.

their was a really good bruce lee film which elaborated this perfectly!!

I don't really watch movies..but I know there is this Bruce Lee film,"Fist Of Fury" :box:
he was a student learning kung fu,and his teacher got killed by the Japanese,and the Japanese sent a big plaque having 4 Chinese letters on it,labelling China "The Sick Man of East Asia",he then carried the plaque and went to the Japanese dojo,beated up those Japanese people and made them eat the plaque:box:

and there is another famous scene
Bruce walks to the gate of Shanghai Park,the security guard stopped him and points to a sign that says 'No Chinese and Dogs Allowed' ,then a white female with a dog walks in and Bruce said 'how about that dog?',the guard answered 'nothing we can do,it is a dog of foreigner'
then some Japanese officials came,
and said to Bruce 'hey you! you want to get in there? You can be a dog of Japanese people,pretend you are a dog and I will let you in!!'
and then Bruce started punching and kicking those Japanese guys,beated them up,
takes the 'no chinese and dogs allowed' sign,throws it into the air and kicks it into halfs:clap:

when this film was showed in cinemas in Hong Kong,
when Bruce Lee started beating up those Japanese bad people,people in the cinema cheers and shouts like 'good! beat them up!!' and the crowds get crazy

America isn't such a happy place as everyone imagines it. Sure there's more opportunities and stuff, but there's still racism almost everywhere you go. But the racism has improved, and everyone
you are right. Actually, I can't really be objective about anything that has to do with America since I dislike usa (i still have friends there). usa is everything but not perfect. But anyway, I better stop talking about usa since then it might happen that I can't stop. Oh, and usa and possibilities? That's a joke. if that would be true, then the following things wouldn't be facts:
The top 1% of Americans own as much wealth as the bottom 95% per cent. The total wealth of the top 60% of Americans is 500 times the total wealth of the bottom 40%. The bottom 40% of households own one-fifth of 1% (or 0.2%) of the nation's wealth. Bill Gates alone has more wealth than 40% of the U.S. population combined or 120 million people.

sorry, I couldn't hold myself for a second. 😊 back to the topic

Anyway, racism. I think it depends mainly on countries history. For example, the UK ain't that racist because of colonialism. They're used to foreigners. In France, the differences are locally very different (racist south, north, not that bad).

Btw, in matters of ww2. I read (if its true is another story) that in the Japanese society, the topic ww2 wasn't properly worked through and thought of. Some things simply didn't happen in some Japanese schoolbooks or are explained there in a way that is just not true. I further read that if it had been worked through the way it was, it would positively impact society without any change to the facts in favour of Japan.

I think all of this is indirectly or even directly connected to the subject of racism. In comparison, I must say that I personally think that patriotism and racism is a connection (too, one reason for my dislike of usa).

Uhm... what did I want to say.. oh yes, racism appears in each country. On the one hand, racists are people who lack something in their life and need something to orientate, need to sort into "good" and "evil" in people from the same country and into foreigners. Guess that makes it easier for them to live and think. But sadly, not all racists are stupid. I guess the intelligent ones have the wrong character, had some strange experiences in their lives, or were raised the wrong way. Or a combination of that. But even if racism appears in any society, it is very different from country to country. And especially, it's very different from subculture to subculture inside a society.

Did it make sense what I wrote? its already again past midnight and getting sleepy. I just wanted to write my thoughts down on the topic of racism.
I hope ur all fine!

Biggotry

Originally posted by Navi
rascism disgusts me. i don't even know why it exists. a person is a person.

I understand racism, although I don't agree with it. As mentioned a few times in this thread, the Japanese seem to distrust foreigners because of differences between them and the foreigners. When I was very young I was scared of teenagers, especially those of African descent, but that was because they were different, because of the stereotypes that are out there (those put off by the media and by my personal biggotry), and also just because I wasn't old enough to be open to more than just those like me; a lot of people around the world are so set in their ways and ignorance, they still distrust people who are different, as we all know.

well.. dream time great you know the bruce lee film, and ohh.. your grandparents passed away! i am sorry to hear that and COOL!!! you are yue chinese!! great my family originally come from SAI KUNG!! which is a little villiage in NEW TERRITORIES dream time do you know of this place?? it is near SHA TIN etc.. , well... actually my great nan passed away in june!! but my nan and grandad tell me all things she did in her life etc.. on phone and in HK when i went their recently for 3 days to go to funeral etc.., and indeed we do get looked down upon, my mother got arrested in beijing when she was like 21 because she was talking cantonese, well i still want taiwan to be apart of china although i think it should have a separate goverment like HK, and nope dream time it is NOT TRUE!!! if i want to i could change my family name to my girlfreinds in that case i would become ROBERT MAEDA (english name now is ROBERT WAN) but i tend to use my chinese name more!, and also if my girlfreind wanted to she could keep her family name and not take mine, but it is custom for me to take japanese family name which i will not do!!! i am proud of being chinese! and wish to keep my family name! and infact my giflreind KAORI would prefer to have my family name she said to me if we ever wish to get married!!, hmm.. koreans are cool people dream time but they tend to stick to their own race or english people i know from freinds! well dream time it is nice to have a fellow HK person on this board who has lived in western country!, and wow you lived in HK for a while cool!! i lived their for maybe 6 months max! due to some problem my family had in england!

well personally dream time i think indeed their are many arrogant people from all other the world!!, but some japanese people here are really annoying towards me and my girlfreind they call my girlfreind things like "traitor" and "white washed" even though i am not white! and some people call me things like "lord of the dogs" and yep i get called stupid things like "chinky" which is what i got called once before, when i heard that here i was very surprised that japanese people even know that word!, one person explained the line of so called country greatness to me! he said it goes like this "japan, english, korean .......... and at very bottom CHINA", well i do not stoop to their levels but some times i give insults in cantonese as japanese think i am saying something worse then i actually am saying! usally i say "DIU LEI LOU MO POK GAI" or something like that dream time hehe.. surely you know what that means huh... 👍 , and yep me is also SUPER PROUD of being chinese, my parents and my grandparents have taught me to be proud of my culture, and history! and even be proud of what MAO TSE DONG accomplished for mainland china, that is only slight thing i argue about!, and like you i do not think i am supiror to any other race, i prefer treating everybody EQUALLY!! but some japanese and other people in the world tend to think differently!, and at times i am surprised japanese people can tell the difference between japanese and chinese as i look pretty much same as a japanese or a korean and chinese! really only difference i notice between chinese and japanese is their eye's are sometimes slightly bigger, and their cheeks are more puffed out! but still the bottom line is EVERYBODY IS EQUAL!! AND SHOULD NOT FEEL OR THINK AS IF THEY ARE SUPIROR IN ANYWAY!!

well.. dream time great you know the bruce lee film, and ohh.. your grandparents passed away! i am sorry to hear that and COOL!!! you are yue chinese!! great my family originally come from SAI KUNG!! which is a little villiage in NEW TERRITORIES dream time do you know of this place?? it is near SHA TIN etc.. , well... actually my great nan passed away in june!! but my nan and grandad tell me all things she did in her life etc.. on phone and in HK when i went their recently for 3 days to go to funeral etc.., and indeed we do get looked down upon, my mother got arrested in beijing when she was like 21 because she was talking cantonese, well i still want taiwan to be apart of china although i think it should have a separate goverment like HK, and nope dream time it is NOT TRUE!!! if i want to i could change my family name to my girlfreinds in that case i would become ROBERT MAEDA (english name now is ROBERT WAN) but i tend to use my chinese name more!, and also if my girlfreind wanted to she could keep her family name and not take mine, but it is custom for me to take japanese family name which i will not do!!! i am proud of being chinese! and wish to keep my family name! and infact my giflreind KAORI would prefer to have my family name she said to me if we ever wish to get married!!, hmm.. koreans are cool people dream time but they tend to stick to their own race or english people i know from freinds! well dream time it is nice to have a fellow HK person on this board who has lived in western country!, and wow you lived in HK for a while cool!! i lived their for maybe 6 months max! due to some problem my family had in england!

I've lived in Hong Kong until I was 9 years old,and never went back since then,but I want to go back there.

sorry to hear your aunt had passed away

I've had a few Korean friends and they were nice people,but that was in elementary school,sometimes once getting into high school,people started to stick with people of their own race.....

i know some HK places,I used to live in Tai Po,which is near Shatin.
what? they actually arrested people for speaking Cantonese? that is ridiculous...
oh,the idea of for Taiwan of having a seperate government like HK would not work,Taiwanese look at HK and they don't want to be like that. I believe if the next Taiwan president decides to go for independence,China will take military action..

well personally dream time i think indeed their are many arrogant people from all other the world!!, but some japanese people here are really annoying towards me and my girlfreind they call my girlfreind things like "traitor" and "white washed" even though i am not white! and some people call me things like "lord of the dogs" and yep i get called stupid things like "chinky" which is what i got called once before, when i heard that here i was very surprised that japanese people even know that word!, one person explained the line of so called country greatness to me! he said it goes like this "japan, english, korean .......... and at very bottom CHINA", well i do not stoop to their levels but some times i give insults in cantonese as japanese think i am saying something worse then i actually am saying! usally i say "DIU LEI LOU MO POK GAI" or something like that dream time hehe.. surely you know what that means huh... 👍 , and yep me is also SUPER PROUD of being chinese, my parents and my grandparents have taught me to be proud of my culture, and history! and even be proud of what MAO TSE DONG accomplished for mainland china, that is only slight thing i argue about!, and like you i do not think i am supiror to any other race, i prefer treating everybody EQUALLY!! but some japanese and other people in the world tend to think differently!, and at times i am surprised japanese people can tell the difference between japanese and chinese as i look pretty much same as a japanese or a korean and chinese! really only difference i notice between chinese and japanese is their eye's are sometimes slightly bigger, and their cheeks are more puffed out! but still the bottom line is EVERYBODY IS EQUAL!! AND SHOULD NOT FEEL OR THINK AS IF THEY ARE SUPIROR IN ANYWAY!!

it is funny how people think this way..
they would think marrying a foreigner is a proud thing for his/her own race, or the person would be a 'traitor' of his/her race,
marriage is just the business of two people or two families,what does it have to do with the entire race???.:eek:

but surely I do not like someone marrying a foreigner just because he/she wants to be a 'foreigner' or thinks it makes himself/herself special,that I would call them 'traitors',or a person who dislikes his/her own race and tries to act like a foreigner or don't even speak his/her own language..I really dislike those kind of people,I won't even make friends with them,a total disgrace to my race.:box:

I dislike Mao Tseng Dong,in fact I dislike most of the politicians in the history of the world,just bunch of greedy bastards

it is no problem to want a person's own country to become strong,or be proud of his own country and race,
but if a person thinks his race is superior than other races,that is a serious problem

I don't think Japanese feel they are better than Chinese. Generally speaking they are not thinking so much about Chinese.

When I started hanging out with Chinese students in America, I felt that they were surprised that I am a okay person despite that I am Japanese. I felt that they were thinking "Oh, Japanese people are not as bad as I thought (or I was taught?)."

Is this a correct thinking or just my misunderstanding? Maybe my kanchigai (misconception)?

just things that are unfair

In Japan there is so much sexism as well as unfairness based on age and status. People openly discriminate against people older than certain age--in the labour market. They actually specify the age limit in a job ad. But I hear that people feel better off seeing that restriction outright because they know anyways they will be discriminated against--whether it is written or not.

Originally posted by kaz
I don't think Japanese feel they are better than Chinese. Generally speaking they are not thinking so much about Chinese.

When I started hanging out with Chinese students in America, I felt that they were surprised that I am a okay person despite that I am Japanese. I felt that they were thinking "Oh, Japanese people are not as bad as I thought (or I was taught?)."

Is this a correct thinking or just my misunderstanding? Maybe my kanchigai (misconception)?

well..
there are all kinds of Japanese message boards on the internet talking about China and Chinese people,most of the messages there are very disrespectful towards the Chinese
I think this is majorly due to the government spreading propagandas about Chinese and WW2,
like changing history textbooks..
as I know there are cars with speakers that is use to spreads propagandas,like saying 'Japan did not invade China,the Chinese made this up'

and on the Chinese side
there are all kinds of propagandas on the internet,like people would write a long article saying how Japanese hate the Chinese,how they disrespect Chinese,also like 'Chinese-Japanese friendship is fake'...etc..

we just have to think carefully of what we hear and read

Yep, dream time indeed it is funny how people think!! to tell the truth, I act as if they are talking nonsense which they are! even though what some people say hurts my pride of being Chinese and me!, but I do not wish to stoop to their level and start thinking china is more superior to japan it isn't right to think such a thing, and then things get worse! So I walk away from what people say! But lucky for me, my cell phone can record 60 seconds of audio, so next time anything I get racially abused by, I will not take it to the police as they will not do anything and probably say, "I provoked them to say that", I will take it to Chinese embassy!! And see what they can do to help me! And yep my mum got arrested because she was speaking Cantonese, and according to a person who told the police about her, my mum was speaking in Cantonese because she was planning to do something terrible!!, and yeah Dreamtime, I guess you are right!! Really Taiwan is a great country, but I think it needs to be slightly more intact with its heritage! as I am sure you know, Taiwan was originally a place where minority Chinese groups moved to! And people who hated mao the dong way of life! If Taiwan does go independent, they will definitely side with Americans and Japanese! Then Taiwan will have many army bases like south Korean! Then, people in that country will want to be white instead of their own race! Indeed, it has nothing to do with the ENTIRE RACE!! Just the people concerned with the marriage! Well, nooo.. my g/f is proud to be Japanese. She even feels sorry and pitty's Japanese government for not apologizing to the Chinese government and people dream time! My g/f is a model Japanese person! In my eye's of course, she is kind, polite, she likes who she is, and believe it or not, she admitted to me! Before she met me, she did not like Chinese males!! In theory, Japanese males are supposed to be the worse in the world because they treat women! although that is only a minority of people like this, it still is bad! Oh, dream time, there are Japanese message boards. Saying how they dislike Chinese??? I wonder if I may have one if you know any?? as I am curious what they say about us!! And well... I and my g/f really love each other, and surely one day I could even marry her!! Even her parents are really kind and nice and think japan should apologize for what they did! and according to my g/f, her great grandfather was involved in taking over the MANCHURIAN PLAINS in north china!! When she was little, she heard nast stories from what her great grandfather told her! The Japanese definitely did invade and did not make it up! Well... indeed, it is a problem if a race thinks they are superior to another race, it is totally wrong!!

Last edited:
Just Found Out!!!

As a matter a fact, Dreamtime, I found out just now whilst reading my dad's Chinese newspaper "people's daily" that today was, in fact, the day that in 1900 8 allied powers invaded Beijing!! In 1945, japan accepted the allied terms of unconditional surrender ending world war 2!!!, and japan has ACTUALLY APOLOGIZED for something they did to the Chinese!!! Ok! I copy this article out of newspaper so it may not make perfect sense as in English it may look strange please tell me if it is strange!!,

people's daily newspaper article:

A Japanese diplomat said Thursday that Japan would hold talks with the Chinese government on compensation for people who have been made ill by chemical weapons abandoned by Japanese troops in World War II. Japanese Ambassador to China Fumiyo Anami said in Beijing that Japan was deeply sympathetic to the victims of chemical weapons stocks unearthed last week at a construction site in northern China. His government would allocate medical aid for the victims soon, he said. On August 4, five metallic barrels were dug up at a Qiqihar City construction site, northeast Heilongjiang Province. One of the barrels was accidentally broken, causing an oil-like substance to leak into the soil. The substance was later confirmed to be mustard gas. By Wednesday, 37 people had been hospitalized following exposure to the chemicals. The Japanese government admitted that the chemical weapons were left by Japanese troops during World War II, saying it felt "extremely regretful".

Hmm... I guess it is the FIRST STEP towards apologizing for what they actually did, or when the Japanese diplomat said "extremely regretful", he might have been thinking ", extremely regretful that we did not use it there and then on some innocent Chinese" well.. he could think of meant that as there is no more on the article so I will have to watch CCTV and TVB here later on and watch the news and see if there is anything on the matter even though it was at the beginning of august!

Saying that one is proud of one's race is already a strange comment, IMHO.
How can you be proud of something that people did you have no connection to at all? Be proud of yourself for what you accomplished and not what others did. And the "race" thing is silly anyway. After all, we are all just Africans that spread over the world, and because of us adapting to the environment, we moved to. Because of mutations, the ways we look changed, and because of traditions and experiences and such, our behaviour changed.
And being proud of a country? I don't know... you can say that you are happy with the way your government deals with you and the way your country looks but again, the thing is, IMHO, that borders exist only on paper. If you stand on a border in the landscape, you cant point into that direction and say, "that's great", then point in the other and say, "that's evil," because it's the same.
Being proud of your country and race means that you think that your races are really great, and from saying that your race is great, it's no far step even to think that its better then other races or countries. and then we are back at racism.
Sure it's just not that way. Many people (most people?) don't ponder about what they do, don't have the right values (which again would be another discussion). The world is cruel, so find build your nest of friends and such and live with it, well, that's what I try.

Ummm...and I'm sure there are many, many sites that Chinese have bashing Japanese too. I'm not so sure it's just always the other way around. I think we're starting to get a little biased here....

We've actually had trolls come in here saying "Death to Japan" and so on that were from China. In my opinion, that kind of behavior is certainly childish regardless of what race is doing it.

Holding a grudge is not very healthy in my mind. Japan is a different country now. Also, I would be careful saying Japanese men are worse than any other ethnicity's men. I'm married to one and I am close to a good many others that are some of the kindest and best men I've ever known.

i see your point! maji and kirei na me

Kirei name and Maji, I see and take note of your points!! And indeed you are right, a lot of Japanese men are really nice people!! But there is still a minority that is not!, but it is the same worldwide, not only in Japan! So that statement I made I will take back! and indeed there are probably many Chinese sites which have a bashing against Japanese people and vice versa!, and indeed Kirei name it is childish what some of the Chinese people who come on this forum do and on their behalf, I apologize ok!!, but still maji and Kirei name when the governor of Tokyo says things like this about Chinese people:

"Tokyo Governor Shintaro Ishihara suggested in a lecture on Thursday that the Chinese in Tokyo be arrested and deported.
He claimed that "China" people committed most crimes in Tokyo. Local police worry that these people will kidnap the children of important Japanese people sooner or later, the China News Service quoted Japanese media as saying. Such talks reflect apparent xenophobia. Anyone with any sense would reject Ishihara's assertion as groundless.
A metropolis such as Tokyo is attractive to people worldwide to live, work or study. Even if some local Chinese have been engaged in crime, how can that be used to back the proposal that all Chinese people living in Tokyo should be expelled? Or justify Ishihara's offensive and insulting words to the Chinese as a whole? If some Japanese people living in Beijing broke the law, that would likewise be no justification for targetting all Japanese in the Chinese capital.
In his tirade, Ishihara freely used the term "China," a derogatory Japanese name for China. After the Sino-Japanese War of 1894-95, "China," a word the Japanese Government used to refer to China, began to have insulting connotations. The Japanese Government was eventually forced to abandon the term after facing a protracted struggle by and representations from the Chinese Government and people.
A veteran politician such as Ishihara could not be unaware of what such a word means to the Chinese people. His talk can only be interpreted as an apparent attempt to humiliate and provoke the Chinese people. A closer look at the Tokyo governor will show it is not surprising that such words came from his mouth.
Ishihara has long been trademarked as an extreme right-winger for preaching the Japanese's national superiority and whitewashing the war crimes committed by Japanese militarists during World War II. Sino-Japanese relations have been developing thanks to the unremitting efforts of both sides soundly. We have every reason to cherish this hard-won friendly relationship. But extreme right-wingers such as Ishihara are sowing the seeds of hatred against Chinese people." here is the link so you can view it for yourselves if you wish:

Although you people must think do not listen to it! Some people get very upset about things like that! When things are said like that, some people tend to turn and build up hatred towards the Japanese, which is totally wrong! and although it is becoming a little one-sided! Please, people who can show me some of the things Chinese people say towards Japanese people, please put it on topic!!

Originally posted by wan Pak hin
Japanese message boards are saying how they dislike Chinese??? I wonder if I may have one if you know any?? as I am curious what they say about us!!

I can not read Japanese,
but according to a net-friend who understands Japanese,
and my understanding of the Kanji words, those messages here are mostly very aggressive towards China and the Chinese people.

Thanks, dream time for the website!! I will show it to my girlfriend, and she can help me fully understand what is being said!! thank you, dream time!! :)

Originally posted by maji
saying that one is proud on ones race is already a strange comment imho.
how can you be proud on something that people did you have no connection to at all? be proud on yourself what you accomplished and not what others did. and the "race" thing is silly anyway. after all, we are all just africans that spread over the world and because of us adapting to the environment we moved to and because of mutations the ways we look changed, and because of traditions and experiences and such our behaviour changed.
and beeing proud on a country? i dont know... you can say that you are happy with the way your government deals with and the way your country looks but again the thing is, imho, that borders exist only on paper. if you stand on a border in the landscape you cant point into that direction and say "thats great" then point in the other and say "thats evil" because its exactly the same.
beeing proud on your country and race means that you think that your races is really great and from saying that your race is great its no far step to even think that its better then other races or countries. and then we are back at racism.
sure its just not that way. many people (most people?) dont ponder about what they do, dont have the right values (which again would be another discussion). world is cruel, so find build your nest of friends and such and live with it, well, thats what i try.

sorry but I have to disagree with you,
I guess it is cultural differences.

and no,being proud of your race does not equal to racism,
you can be proud of your race and at the same time respect and be good to the people of other races.

yeah dream time has a point maji you indeed have been bought up in different way to asian people, most asians which you talk to will say "THEY ARE PROUD OF THEIR RACE" regardless of where they come from! everybody can be proud of their country's history, culture, accomplishments, etc.. without being racist etc.. it just depends on your upbringing i guess?? :eek:

P.S i have just looked at website dream time and my g/f said it is super bad what the japanese say!! they explain things like how to rape a chinese women, and really aweful things like that! i think tomrrow i am going to show chinese embassy this certain site and see what they think of it maybe!

and no, being proud of your race does not equal to racism,
I didn't say its equal = the same. I said I see a connection between both. There is no long way from saying that your race as really great and awesome to say that other races are not that good and plain suck. And once you say that people you don't know suck just of their race, then ur a racist.

you can be proud of your race and at the same time respect and be good to the people of other races
respect is always good, but in matters of pride... well, I guess there might be several reasons why I think differently here. One might be that Germans don't really race. Germany is kind of in the centre of Europe, and people from every country travel through Germany and leaves their genetic material here, so we are a mix (btw I read over and over everywhere that Japanese people can't have a pure race because they are a mix of races themself as well. Neither did I really dig myself into that topic, nor does it necessarily belong in this post)?

Another reason might be that I'm german and thus sensitive to the topic of racism since this is one thing that we are often accused of. I think I already mentioned in another post how the first comment of the family of us American woman I was chatting with was, "you are talking with a nazi??" only because I'm german! :angryfire: ARGH, this lack of knowledge and this incompetence and prejudices and the way they shape the otherworld the way they need it angers me in ways I can't express!!

hmpf, calm down...
Anyway. I guess that's the two reasons I think differently about that. Like most people, we are just a mix of races (btw, the lack of genetic mixing is together with the bad health system one reason why the UK has more problems fighting diseases) and the 2nd reason is as said that because of a part of our history (Germans have not the only ww2 to offer in matters of history) we are raised maybe in another way.

As said, be proud of what you achieved yourself and what you helped others achieve. And don't be proud of the stuff that people did only because they happen to live by coincidence in the same country.

If you think of yourself as being great because people once born in the same country did something great as well, then you have to do the same with brutal dictators and great mistakes that were made in your country.

and i guess if taiwan does go independent, they will definetly side with americans and japanese! then taiwan will have many army bases like south korean!

there are many reasons why USA and Japan supports Taiwan independence, it helps them economically,politically,military..

Japan China friendship

Dreamtime,

Ahhh, you are right, there are tons of hatred internet junk against Koreans and Chinese, though most of what I have seen was against Koreans? I don't think they represent the general sentiment.

It is true that deep in their mind many Japanese people think China has faked lots of pictures and statistics on the Japanese agression. But I don't think Japanese people think too much about other countries--except US.

Back
Top Bottom