What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Question Quote from Princess Mononoke

Kian caisley

Registered
Reaction score
New to the forum but would be grateful if anyone could help, I’m trying to find out an accurate Kanji translation of the quote ‘see with eyes unclouded by hatred’. Princess Mononoke was my favourite film to watch with my Nan and coming up to her anniversary and my 18th I figured it would be a nice idea for a tattoo. If anyone could help that would be a huge hand.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
The English script is not a literal translation of the Japanese, but the line that appears to correspond to this is as follows:

曇りのない眼で物事を見定めるなら
Kumori no nai manako de monogoto wo misadameru nara
If you see things with unclouded eyes... (the "hatred" is not explicitly stated in the Japanese)

Also, it's not a separate statement in the JP, but rather connects to the previous and following sentences.

西の国で何か不吉なことが起こっている
Nishi no kuni de nanika fukitsu na koto ga okotteiru
Something sinister is happening in the West.

その地に赴き、曇りのない眼で物事を見定めるなら
Sono chi ni omomuki, kumori no nai manako de monogoto wo misadameru nara
If you go there, and see/discern the nature of things with unclouded eyes...

あるいはその呪いを断つ道が見つかるかもしれぬ
Arui wa sono noroi wo tatsu michi ga mitsukaru kamoshirenu
...you just may be able to find a way to end the that curse.

That's the original Japanese, but note that it's a conditional ("If you..."), so if you want to make it a separate statement (i.e. "I see with unclouded eyes") or an instruction (i.e. telling someone "See with unclouded eyes"), you'll have to tweak it a bit. Same if you explicitly want to add the sense of "unclouded by hatred").

Maybe this can be a start, though.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
That's Hii-sama(=the wise woman)'s words to Ashitaka at the beginning of the story. There also is another scene in Tataraba(=Irontown) where similar words are said by Ashitaka as his answer to Eboshi's question.

エボシ: そのつぶての秘密を調べてなんとする
アシタカ: 曇りなき眼で見定め、決める

Eboshi: Sono tsubute no himitsu o shirabete nan to suru.
Ashitaka: Kumori naki manako de misadame, kimeru.

English script
Eboshi: What do you plan to do? What exactly are you here for?
Ashitaka: To see with eyes unclouded by hatred.

Literal translation of the original Japanese
Eboshi: What will you do after finding out the secret of the iron ball?
Ashitaka: I will see with unclouded eyes, and determine.

I think the OP is referring to this scene. So the full version used in the anime is 曇りなき眼で見定め、決める, and 曇りなき眼で見定める is just for "(I will) see with unclouded eyes".

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, whoops. I didn't realize that the phrase appeared in two variations in two scenes (it's been a while since I saw the movie, so I had to rely on a Google search which probably wasn't as thorough as I could have been).

In any event, I hope this is enough to give the OP the answers they seek!

Kian caisley

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies on late reply on my part! But that was super helpful thanks a million guys! Luckily i managed to get in touch with a Tattoo artist in London who's wife was raised in japan my luck was pretty good haha. Cheers for the help!

Top Bottom