What's new

Playstation 3 or Xbox?

Yes, but that is also Sony's weakness. They have been toting their system a cheap Blu-ray player instead of a gaming machine. This has helped contribute to a lack of sales. With all the latest data, it has been sighted that gamers care more about games than watching moves on their console. Granted, it looks like Blu-ray will win the new format war on movies, but don't expect people to be up in arms until it becomes the new standard for a few years. Until that point is reached, Sony better start selling their system as a gaming machine, and not a media machine if they want to place first in the end of this console war.
-Doc 🙂

Most definitely true. Sony made a grave marketing error in trying to promote the PS3 as the uber-media-hub-type-thing, rather than concentrating on building up their installed user base. I'm still not entirely clear on why they ran with that concept; I love my PS3 to bit but it is most definitely a games console first and foremost.

On a side-note, TBH I think first place has already been lost to the Wii pretty much permanently. I don't care for the console particularly (I find it highly repetitive and generally weak as anything other than a 5 minute laugh with mates at a party, and as such not worth the £200 it goes for here) but it's hard to compete with something that's cheap, accessible (in terms of human-computer interaction) and currently riding a huge wave of 'trendy'.

Ever since seeing the game Pikmin on GC, I knew that people at Nintendo were retarded. They want to be hyper-original and innovative, in the end they just flood themsleves with crappy games.

Depends on your age. Most people my age prefer the Xbox360. However, I follow the kawaii thing more than most guys (although not obsessivly :p), and find the wii more fun. Plus, it is hard to play call of duty 3 or whatever against your ten year old sister when babysitting. Much better to play something cute like wii sports etc, or fun like galaxy.

Meh, I love my Wii more than my toilet. (Yes, I know everyone is tired of these wee jokes but sometimes they are good to lighten a topic.

Overall, I prefer the wii. However, my favourite console was either the snes or the n64.

If I had a sister I'd tell her to stand in the corner while I play my games lol.
Btw, what do you mean by the kawaii thing? What exactly? Like umm... moe stuff? :D

It might and it might not be. It all depends on the quality of the titles themselves that will depend on whether or not it will garner any interest. As of right now XBOX 360: 17.7 million, Nintendo Wii: 8-10 million, and PS3: roughly 6 million.
There may be a few of highlighted titles, but that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. It is quality of the titles in large quantities that matters for the exclusives, not the quantity of big name titles that may have little or no quality. Unfortunately, many of the exclusives released so far on the system are decent at best. Many if not most of the flagship titles (SOCOM, MGS, GT, FF) are just not enough to hold the interests of die hard fans of such titles. The name means nothing, its quality in large quantities that matters. Like I said, if Sony can pull off some quality titles in a quantitative load, and not just for the name sake of the titles themselves, they might just pull through. Only time will tell.
@karlyboo
Only 14% of gamers use their systems for watching movies. In other words, WB going Blu-ray doesn't mean jack in the grand scheme of things for gamers.
-Doc 🙂
ok, i'm not following you at all here. It is pretty obvious the titles will rock just by watching the trailers and developer videos. And remember for the 360, the only exclusive titles i've ever heard good remarks for are bioshock, halo 3, and mass effect. What do you think of "quantity vs quality" now? As for your sales stats: I know how halo 3 blasted 360 sales over the roof and i am expecting the same for the ps3 when mgs4, ff13 and Gt release. Its true that current ps3 exclusives straight-up suck (excluding uncharted: DF) but remember my list is for 2008. In summary, what i am saying is PS3's 2008 will defeat the 360's 2007. And you are right; time will tell

"Many if not most of the flagship titles (SOCOM, MGS, GT, FF) are just not enough to hold the interests of die hard fans of such titles."

and maybe you should leave this conclusion to the "die hard fans", should you not?

Back
Top Bottom