What's new

Travel Places to visit/things to do in Yamanashi

Snicket

Registered
13 Jan 2021
Visiting in laws atm and we originally planned to take a trip to Kyoto but with all the coronavirus stuff going on we are instead planning to stay within Yamanashi or surrounding areas. We've already been to Kyoto a couple of times and seen the major things there so not a huge loss. It'd be interesting to take a more rural trip to lesser visited and less touristy places. We've gone to Shousenkyou for example and that was very nice. Any interesting towns or places you'd recommend? Particularly we like to visit temples, shrines, old mansions etc. Gardens and parks or natural attractions are also great. My wife is also a huge food fan so interesting places to eat are also good.

We have a couple ideas but it never hurts to have more.

Join this: japan-guide.com forum - Questions -

Lots of great help from those that live and travel in Japan. Join the forum. I think you have to be approved first , after approval you can then start posting. I posted about a ferry going to Shikoku and got some great help form it.

I know it's touristy but it's worth taking a bus from Kawaguchi-ko up to the 5th station of Mt Fuji, having a wander and escaping the heat.

Last edited:
If you are into history and culture, visit Kofu Castle and the Takeda Shrine. I'm a big Shingen fan myself, here's Uehara-san's article on Shingen's former residence:

More articles are in the pipeline. :)

There are a couple of wineries in Yamanashi as well. Quality of Japanese wine is supposed to be getting better, but I admit I haven't had any in a while so I couldn't recommend any wineries. Anyway, I throw this into the mix as it might be something to consider.

(The website below is in Japanese, but they have info in English also.)
The touristy place about 10 min walk from Katsunuma station is very enjoyable. They have a cellar and you can have an unlimited tasting session for 1500 yen (I think). There are some nice restaurants near the station too.

I have started to write up a Yamanashi Travel Guide. It's a work in progress, will add some info on the vineyards and more photos tomorrow:

There are a couple of wineries in Yamanashi as well. Quality of Japanese wine is supposed to be getting better, but I admit I haven't had any in a while so I couldn't recommend any wineries. Anyway, I throw this into the mix as it might be something to consider.

(The website below is in Japanese, but they have info in English also.)
Yamanashi wine is famous, but whiskey is also delicious.

[Suntory Hakushu Distillery]

Unfortunately, the factory tour and museum are currently closed.

[韮崎御勅使蒸溜所(Nirasaki Midaigawa Distillery.)]

[マルス信州蒸溜所(Mars Shinshu Distillery)]

白州尾白川渓谷(Hakushu Ojira River Valley )

It's cool in summer so it's perfect for trekking.
However, there is also a campsite, so it may be noisy for children to play in the river.

A place where you can see a magnificent view of Mt. Fuji in Yamanashi.

ほったらかし温泉(Hottarakashi Onsen)
Onsen is open from 1 hour before sunrise.
You can see Mt. Fuji from the open-air bath.

山梨県笛吹川フルーツ公園(Yamanashi Fuefukigawa Fruit Park)
It is a place where you can see the night view of Kofu near Hottarakashi Onsen.

Yamanashi view point map

甘利山東屋展望台(Amariyama Higashiya Observatory)
富士川クラフトパーク(Fujikawa Craft Park)

東京から日帰りで行ける日本の秘境
Unexplored region of Japan that can be reached on a day trip from Tokyo.
山梨県南巨摩郡早川町(Hayakawa Town, Minamikoma District, Yamanashi Prefecture)

The mountain village is very beautiful.
I often visited Hayakawa's Onsen for touring.

The oldest inn in the world, Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan.

[七面大明神影現の霊場] 静寂の神域 七面山奥之院
Shichimen Daimeijin Kagegen no Sacred Ground] Silence Sanctuary Shichimenyama Okunoin

Southwestern area of Yamanashi sightseeing.
南アルプス市の観光
Sightseeing in Minami Alps City

Minami Alps UNESCO Eco Park
(Mountain)

(culture)

Minami Alps city phot Travel

Besides wine, beer is also delicious.:giggle:
Yatsugatake craft beer touchdown

Stay with Yamanashi flowers
Yamanashi
Kuu House in Chikahagi!

農泊 (Nohaku)

Northern Yamanashi

YAMANASHI. Heidi's Village (Yamanashi Prefectural Flower Center)

Kiyosato Village at the foot of Mt. Yatsugatake in northern Yamanashi.
It is a summer resort that was popular during the bubble era in Japan.
Kiyosato Terrace

Official site

This is not famous.
but a place I would like to visit

山梨最長 丹波山 ローラー滑り台 247m / 810ft Roller slide at Yamanashi Tabayama

Last edited:
Yamanashi gourmet
The famous foods in Yamanashi are "hoto", "shingen mochi" and "peach", but I will introduce other foods.

[Koshu Wine Beef ]
Koshu Wine Beef is beef obtained from "hybrid" that is fattened by feeding grape pomace generated during wine production at Kobayashi Farm in Kai City,
Yamanashi Prefecture as part of the feed.

Kobuchizawa Art Village

(COUNTRY RESTAURANT KEYSPRING)

Restaurant new port

[Hamburger]
Top10

MOOSE HILLS BURGER

[Beef tendon curry]
Hinomaru Steak

[Chicken and eggs]

中村農場(Nakamura Noujyou)Nakamura Farm

[gibier restaurant (game meat cuisine)]
仙人小屋(Sen'nin goya)

Last edited:
Only after writing up our Yamanashi Travel Guide did I realise that Yamanashi is famous for crystals and jewellery, too.

Today, the NYT featured an article on Yamanashi's jewellery industry:

To most Japanese, the Yamanashi prefecture, just southwest of Tokyo, is known for its vineyards, hot springs and fruit, and for being home to Mount Fuji. But what about its jewelry industry? "Visitors come for the wine, but not so much for the jewelry," said Kazuo Matsumoto, chairman of the Yamanashi Jewelry Association. Yet, Kofu, the capital of Yamanashi, with a population of 189,000, houses around 1,000 jewelry-related companies, making it the most important jewelry producer in Japan. Its secret? The presence of rock crystal (tourmaline, turquoise and smoky quartz, to name three) in its northern mountains, part of a generally rich geology. It is all part of a tradition that goes back two centuries.

So another destination mentioned in the article is the Yamanashi Jewelry Museum (closed until the end of the current SoE on 12 September 2021):

Another attraction has just been inaugurated in Yamanashi: a Mount Fuji observation deck on Shindo-touge in Fuefuki:

mount-fuji-observation-deck.jpg

Mount Fuji Winter Terrace Fuefuki (in Japanese, with photos)

That's an amazing picture. I remember riding the train from Ikuta seeing Mt. Fuji during the crisp late fall morning going to Yokota Air Base. Picture reminds me of it.

Back
Top Bottom