What's new

Help Particle confusion...

Goldfire20

後輩
10 Feb 2016
I came across this sentence that seemed weird to me (It's from a song so it may just be poetic, who knows).
The sentence is this: 2人で海を歌う
What confuses me is the を. Doesn't that make the sentence: "The two of us, singing the ocean"?
Or does it have a different use that makes the sentence something else?

What's the song? Are you sure you have the lyrics right?
If so, your translation is fine, although depending on the context there might be a better way to phrase it, so it doesn't sound so random.

I came across this sentence that seemed weird to me (It's from a song so it may just be poetic, who knows).
The sentence is this: 2人で海を歌う
What confuses me is the を. Doesn't that make the sentence: "The two of us, singing the ocean"?
Or does it have a different use that makes the sentence something else?
You are talking about a line in the Japanese version of For a Moment from Disney's The Little Mermaid 2, right? Yes, speaking strictly, it's ungrammatical, but it's used as a poetic expression of 海の歌を歌う, as in the original English lyrics (I'll) sing the song of the sea with you.

You are talking about a line in the Japanese version of For a Moment from Disney's The Little Mermaid 2, right?
Yes, I am :) I was listening to it and found that line a little weird. But I get your explanation. I guess they couldn't fit 海の歌を歌う with the melody so they picked a shorter, poetic version. :)

What's the song? Are you sure you have the lyrics right?
If so, your translation is fine, although depending on the context there might be a better way to phrase it, so it doesn't sound so random.
It's from the song For a moment from The little mermaid 2. I got another reply that explained that it's a shortened/poetic way to say 海の歌を歌う :)

Back
Top Bottom