What's new

Negative reply on 元気ですか

ningen

Kouhai
20 Jul 2010
If someone would ask me 元気ですか, I do know the answer could be 元気です, but what if I want to say that I'm not fine? and what if it is somewhere between being fine and not being fine?

my first guess on saying that it is not so good is 元気じゃない, just a negative version of 元気です. For a moment on which it's not going good, but also not bad I'd guess ちょっと, but that's just a shot in the dark

元気じゃない is the negative of 元気だ, if you're trying to maintain the same level of politeness as 元気です, it would be 元気じゃありません

You could also provide a reason for why you aren't ok, like いいえ、最近は風邪気味です。

You can use いえ、(最近は/今は)そうでもないです for "between being fine and not being fine".

is そうでもない a phrase to say "not really", or is it build up out of multiple words? because I can't find anything if I search for そうでもない in the WWWJDIC, but if I put it through Google Translate it says "not really"

My favorite reply has always been, 生きている、やっとの事で (I'm alive, just barely).

is そうでもない a phrase to say "not really", or is it build up out of multiple words? because I can't find anything if I search for そうでもない in the WWWJDIC, but if I put it through Google Translate it says "not really"
Both. It's made with そう/で/も/ない and means "not really/not quite well".

I thought it should be O-genki desu ka.
If it is only genki you can misunderstand it to ''spirit''/''morale''.
For example genki ga ii could mean very active or something like that.
Pardon me because my knowledge in Japanese is limited.

if you say 元気ですか there is no way a Japanese person would misunderstand you. the お~ is just a polite prefix, a type of 敬語 called 美化語

Back
Top Bottom