What's new

How would I reply to this?

ranei

後輩
28 Sep 2007
I'm a second-year Japanese student at the local community college. Sometimes, when I leave class (generally if I've been speaking privately with her), my sensei will say "Otsukaresama deshita". From what I've read, this phrase is generally used in the workplace, in response to "Osakini shitsurei shimasu." But does anybody know what I should say when "Otsukare..." is used before "Osakani...", in a classroom rather than a workplace environment?

Thanks so much for any help! This has been bugging me for a while, and though Sensei doesn't seem offended when I just carry on with my leave-taking, I'd love to know how to reply correctly.

There's not really an automatic response. She's just kinda saying "good job" in regards to whatevre you guys were discussing. An ありがとうございます and a little bow should be fine.

"Otsukare..." doesn't really necessitate a response. "Osaki ni..." is what one would say when they begin to leave the room; it's not really a response to anything, although you could simply say "shitsurei shimasu" when you leave. I think it would be unnecessary to thank the teacher as a response.

>I think it would be unnecessary to thank the teacher as a response.

You'd just be thanking her for her time. If you'd already thanked her, you wouldn't need to again--but you could.
It's not an A requires B issue. It's just speaking.

Since I work at a Japanese company, I encounter the お疲れ様 / お疲れさん / お疲れ greeting on a very frequent basis. I normally reply 疲れました. Yes, I get odd looks and grins. When that happens, I amplify with 皆が頑張っているからこっちも疲れないと皆に失礼です and get looks that indicate "I'd never thought about it that way before".

Just reply with the same greeting. peers おつかれ~
Superiors and Older co-workers use おつかれさまでした。

I never heard お疲れさん Until I watched the drama "Good Luck"
Not saying it never existed just It was new to me. I thought it would just be the aforementioned versions.

Just reply with the same greeting. peers おつかれ~
Superiors and Older co-workers use おつかれさまでした。
That is more my style too. Thank you and a little bow after ご苦労様でした or お先に but not as an everyday leavetaking. The teacher would probably consider it too stiff and formal, especially if it was just the two of you talking privately after class. 😌

Besides, you can even hear it in their voice the weariness some Japanese get from hearing ありがとう at every turn and in every nook and cranny of their life.

Thank you all so much for your help! I figured it probably wasn't a "this must go after that" sort of exchange, and I'm glad to know that I probably haven't offended her or anything, because I do always say "しつれいします" when I leave. Thanks again!

I never heard お疲れさん Until I watched the drama "Good Luck"
Not saying it never existed just It was new to me. I thought it would just be the aforementioned versions.

It is the most common form I encounter. Running a close second would be お疲れ, with お疲れ様 running a distant third.

ご苦労さん is another big one. I've been told that one shouldn't use that one towards a superior.

I've heard just おつ (pronounced "ots") before and said it as a joke a couple of times at my last job. The fact that it's extremely casual and that I even knew you could say it always gave me great looks of shock.

Back
Top Bottom