What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Wow , I thought it might be a dead bug got cooked on it when it was made. I tried making it more visible with Photoshop but not much luck. You can make out the outside lines , but not kanji detail. Maybe someone will be able to tell from just that. My best effort to get more detail looks like two tiny mice kissing .
Thanks so much for this!

I had it looked at by someone at the V&A. Apparently it's late 1800's and the 2 symbols could be a sneaky artists tag for something they normally wouldn't be allowed to put their name on. So not kanji but definitely deliberate.

Thanks again for taking a look!

Attachments

• IMG_20200215_163635.jpg
    IMG_20200215_163635.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 288
Can someone tell me what this says?

Attachments

• 963B75F8-854E-4CF0-A0D2-8D0F904D45CC.png
    963B75F8-854E-4CF0-A0D2-8D0F904D45CC.png
    947.3 KB · Views: 326
Seems like a poorly-made 大過 "big mistake" written by someone who actually was not familiar with kanji.

I'm reading the text of an image and I've come across some kanji that I can't seem to figure out. Here's a picture of it:

Unknown Kanji.png

Can someone help me out here? Thanks!

1588935265842.png
Please could tell me what these two characters are?
Please excuse the low quality.
Thanks,
Chris

爪晆

Looks like a variant or miswriting of 爪哇 Java (island of Indonesia or programming language).

納 you're right, and its a Japanese kanji, but I cannot find the meaning of 奉 in any Japanese source, but its found in Chinese dictionaries ...

Hello out there, could please someone tell me what is written here - in Kana and in translatation? It looks like a family name because there is a seal.
1594157150706.png

And here is another one. I can identify "nana" as first character but not the other ones. What are the kanji and what do they mean? It is printed on a shirt.
1594157393156.png

Thank you both and also thank you for the link to the wiki pages for further reading. Because of the stamp under picture #1, I assume it is a family/tradition name. Or maybe this school of ikebana has its own stamp.

You seem to be confusing 落款 rakkan with 印鑑 inkan. The former is an artist's seal, and it's common to use the given name or one of the kanji of the name for this kind of seal. On the other hand, the latter is a seal almost all Japanese people have and use for daily use. Only one kanji of the surname is not used for this seal.

examples of rakkan
谷(Tani, surname) 文晁 (Bunchō, given name)
given name
bunchou.jpg

芦原(Ashihara, surname) 敏成(Toshinari, given name)
the first kanji of the given name
bin.gif

Hi, I can't recogize this kanji's (I'm not even 100% if they are actually japanese kanji's). Somebody could help me and tell me what does it mean?

Attachments

• 20200710_155653.jpg
    20200710_155653.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 251
That's just gibberish.

kanji "hi/nichi", meaning "day/sun",
incomplete version of a radical nogi-hen
turned hiragana "no"
hiragana "ku"
kanji "inu", meaning "dog"

Back
Top Bottom