What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Hi! First time poster here, hoping that someone can help! I'm creating a new logo for my karate club, and have picked out two kanji to form part of the design. The words I wanted represented were "protect" and "defend".

The kanji I have selected are 保 and 守. Are these the correct / best ones to use? Does it even make sense? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

保 is more likely "keep/maintain". 守 can be both "protect" and "defend". You can also use 護. Actually, it's hard to distinguish "protect" and "defend" in Japanese.

Could 保 also mean "preserve"?
Yes.

Would there be a more suitable kanji for this?
Kanji usually have multiple meanings, so it's hard to represent those concepts by a single kanji. Kanji compound words can limit the meaning, for instance 守護 only means "protection/defense/guard", not "keep/maintain". (This is a noun. 守護する is a verb "to protect/defend/guard".)

EDIT:
You are talking about karate, so the best compound word for those concepts is 防御 bōgyo.

From what I understand then, 保護 could be used for the words that I wanted, although the meaning could be limited. Unfortunately I only have space for two characters! Your replies have been most helpful, thanks so much.

保護 is not used in the context "to protect/defend oneself", so it might not be appropriate for karate. Of course it's OK if you want to mean "to protect/defend someone", though.
防御 can be the one, as I edited and added in my previous post.

hello there, what does this kanji mean? i search it everywhere on the internet but i can't find it
20180519_134740.jpg

初心
shoshin
original purpose/freshness of attitude

The radical of the first kanji is not accurate, though..

Hello. I want to know what is the meaning of this kanji. I tried to use phone's camera to translate it with google translator and it translated it as "ascendance", but im nore sure. Any help would be appreciated.
1.png

At the risk of unnecessarily complicating this discussion ...

to me, the lower part of the character looks too different from アン. The character that it most resembles to me is the 種字 for /khaṃ/ (in Japanese: ケン), which can be seen about halfway down this page: 神魔精妖名辞典:悉曇字母・種子対応表 On that page, the top part of the character (denoting the syllable final ン sound) is depicted with just a dot, but it can also be represented by a dot with a curved line underneath, as in the OP's image. According to that page, the /khaṃ/ character represents Dainichi Nyorai in the Womb Realm.

The reason I hesitated to post until now is that the /khaṃ/ character is close, but not an exact match, and it is also comparatively quite obscure, making it seem unlikely that the OP would have come across it somewhere. If the OP can give more information about where the posted character was seen, that might help in accurately deciphering it. (It's possible that whoever created it was not very familiar with the Siddham characters, and made mistakes.)

Unless more information is uncovered, going with @Majestic 's answer is probably the safest bet.

↑ Great site, by the way. I was looking for a site like that.

I should have hedged my bet earlier. I'm not 100% confident what character it is.

Hey all! This scroll was done for me a few years ago and the artist said it meant I should "Find my one heart to get me through everything". I recognize the first two kanji but not the third and have no idea how the whole thing reads in Japanese. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180601_115537.jpg
    20180601_115537.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 110
Hello friends! Can you please help with translation of following stamps? My girlfriend got a gift - a poster with these stamps in corners. I would like to know what is it before hanging on the wall.
100.jpg
101.jpg

I'm sorry for my incompetence but are they really in japanese?:emoji_grimacing:
Thanks for your help!

Hello friends! Can you please help with translation of following stamps?

These appear to be Chinese, not Japanese.

I believe that the characters appearing on the stamps are 偶然得之 and 未曾忘記, respectively.

I am not qualified to translate Chinese, but if I had to take a stab at it, I would guess something along the lines of "obtained by chance" for the first, and "haven't forgotten" for the second.

You will have to ask someone knowledgeable of Chinese if you need a reliable translation.

These appear to be Chinese, not Japanese.

I believe that the characters appearing on the stamps are 偶然得之 and 未曾忘記, respectively.

I am not qualified to translate Chinese, but if I had to take a stab at it, I would guess something along the lines of "obtained by chance" for the first, and "haven't forgotten" for the second.

You will have to ask someone knowledgeable of Chinese if you need a reliable translation.
Thank you very-very much joadbres! I appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom