What's new

Need a Kanji Translated? Just ask!

Hi, can you can assist me with this one? Quite beautiful markings. Thanks so much. 🤗

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 136
Hi, I have an art project in relation with depression and I wanted to use two Kanji to represent the ups and down you can face when you are affected by this ilness. I found these Kanji but I'm not sure they are correct : & . Can you help me with that ?

hi everyone, someone recently wrote me something, and my japanese is 25 years old, so...
吾が月欠ける
does this mean 'my moon wanes'?
not sure on ka-ke-ru

Hello!
My friend spent her early childhood in Southern Japan, and is trying to confirm her family's hanko relates to her surname (Cole). She asked a Japanese family friend about it, however they said it was poor writing and couldn't understand it. The image isn't the best quality, but I'm hoping someone here still might be able to help. Thank you for any insight!

Attachments

• Image from iOS (1).jpg
    Image from iOS (1).jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 105
I have been trying to translate a sword inscription, and I have hit a wall on it...

Sword 01.jpgSword 02.jpg

I started a thread before I found this one, and I apologize if this seems like spamming.
So far, I have been able to figure out that the first image is "Sho Wa 18(10 , 8)" not sure what the next one is(although it does look similar to "dipper") then "10 gatsu(month)" and I have been unable to translate anything from the second image. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there, I've been learning Japanese for a while. Trying to keep making progress with it. I'm currently trying to get more acquainted with kanji - using jisho.org and some references/dictionaries where you can do lookups by stroke count. However, I am still finding quite a few I can't locate. Here are two...

unknown-kanji.png

I was curious if you might know of a website/app that would have a feature to "show similar kanji", or even "show all radicals for this kanji". Sometimes I can find similar kanji to the ones I am looking for, but they might not be exactly the same. Some of the websites I have been using often only list one radical, even for kanji that are composed of many. If there were some way to select a kanji and then see all other kanji that share the same elements... Do you know if something like this exists?

Hi there, I've been learning Japanese for a while. Trying to keep making progress with it. I'm currently trying to get more acquainted with kanji - using jisho.org and some references/dictionaries where you can do lookups by stroke count. However, I am still finding quite a few I can't locate. Here are two...

View attachment 89241

I was curious if you might know of a website/app that would have a feature to "show similar kanji", or even "show all radicals for this kanji". Sometimes I can find similar kanji to the ones I am looking for, but they might not be exactly the same. Some of the websites I have been using often only list one radical, even for kanji that are composed of many. If there were some way to select a kanji and then see all other kanji that share the same elements... Do you know if something like this exists?
Easiest thing to do that I know of is to use the Google translate app in camera mode (Google Lens).
This immediately finds the above kanji
修炼
but I don't think the one on the right is Japanese.
By Googling this word, I found it here in a Chinese dictionary:

Some of the websites I have been using often only list one radical, even for kanji that are composed of many.
This is traditionally how kanji is listed in dictionaries. Each kanji only has one radical. But modern Japanese-English dictionaries allow you to select any element(s) in the kanji and look them up in multiple ways. Probably there are newer/better tools but I use this when I want to look up kanji by multiple radicals. You can narrow down by stroke count as well:
But you'd never find that right-side kanji this way because, like I said, it's not a Japanese kanji.
the one on the left is, though.

Care to help with the sign on this truck?

kanji Q.jpeg

The first 'kanji' there is what puzzled/puzzles me, and after talking to someone who was right there working, they explained that it was katakana イ with that other piece marking it off. And the name of the biz was the rest, the following four characters.

But they didn't explain why, or what that first 'character' is there for--its function/purpose/meaning.

Has anyone come across this before? What is it really, what does it mean, and why is it used? (I have no guesses, and my wife was not sure what it was, either.

TIA

Back
Top Bottom