What's new

Names in Japanese...

Tomii515

やった~!
16 Feb 2006
Hi, hi! :)

Umm, OK! I just wanted to know how I would say a couple names, mostly my own, in Japanese... This is really just to practice some Katakana transliterating (<--- a real word?? haha)

OK! For my name:

Thomas (Tommy) Ryan Kurpit

トマス (トミー) ライーン クーっピート

😌

Umm, my name is pronunced (in English):

taw-mih-s (taw-mee) ri-ih-n ker-pih-t

And then in Japanese (the way I wrote it...):

toh-mah-s[oo] (toh-mee-ee) rah-ee-een koo-oo-ppee-ee-toh

Or something like that XD

tomasu (tomii) raiin kuuppiito

O__O

Thanks =-)

-Tommy

Ehh... That's not right... Sorry, but I've known my first name(s) and my middle name (well, a thought of my middle name) for a LONG time... I just didn't know my last name...

Sorry, Tomii, but ライーン doesn't sound like 'Ryan' to me at all. It sounds much more like a Middle Eastern name! :p

I would have to vote for ライアン as well! But ライアン is fun because it sounds so much like ライオン or lion, so you could always use that for a conversation topic or joke!

What if you hate the way they translate your name into Japanese. I can't stand being called Torisha it sounds so terrible to my ears. Is there a different way to get around the TR sound so it doesn't have to be TO?

What if you hate the way they translate your name into Japanese. I can't stand being called Torisha it sounds so terrible to my ears. Is there a different way to get around the TR sound so it doesn't have to be TO?
Well, for the most part, you're stuck with TO.

HOWEVER!!

The word tree in "Christmas Tree" is written with a 'tsu' rather than a 'to'. So, albeit very rare, it is possible to not use TO in a TR sound. How do you like "Tsurisha"?

Personally, though, I prefer Torisha. Sorry, but this is the best I can do!

There are no consonant blends like "tr-," "bl-" or "sl-" in Japanese. Each sound is a single vowel or consonant+vowel combination.

If you don't like being called Torisha or Torishia, the only alternative you have is to coach the people around you to pronounce correctly in English... 😌

@Tomii
hideaway's suggestion is actually correct from the Japanese point of view, regardless of how much you insist it's not pronounced correctly--the same as for Goldiegirl.

Ok, I guess TOrisha it is. Tsurisha sounds strange to my ears, but Torisha just sounds so harsh ( I don't have the word to describe it ), maybe it's just that it's not my name. Thank-you for the help though! :)

Torishia..It could work, but alas it's seems even farther away from my real name. I could never bring myself to correct any of my Japanese friends and aquaintances on the pronounciation of my name. I am happy that they talk to me in English and don't expect me to be perfect in speaking Japanese!:) So I think I shouldn't complain about their English as they don't complain about my limited Japanese speaking ability.:p Thank-you also for the alternate suggestion. (it does sound nicer to me)

Sorry, Tomii, but ライーン doesn't sound like 'Ryan' to me at all. It sounds much more like a Middle Eastern name! :p

I would have to vote for ライアン as well! But ライアン is fun because it sounds so much like ライオン or lion, so you could always use that for a conversation topic or joke!

I agree. 'Ryan' would be ライアン or ライエン. 「ライーン」 sounds more like Rhine or Rhyn.

Back
Top Bottom