What's new

Must be French bashing week again

Originally posted by mad pierrot
Without the French aid we recieved during the American Revolution, we'd be nothing more than a big British colony now.

I sincerely doubt that ! You can just say that the USA would not have become independant in 1782, but chances are that there would have been another revolution later. Anyhow, even without war, that part of the world would certainly not be part of the UK now. Do I really need to remind you that virtually all European colonies have become independent between the early 19th century (South America), and the second half of the 20th century.

Even colonies of settlement (I mean where the biggest part of the population was of European descent, like Canada or Australia) much less populated than the 13 colonies in the late 18th century, became naturally and peacefully independent from the mother-country. Independence wars or rebellions have only happened in countries where Europeans where the governing minority (Africa, India, S-E Asia...). Seen like this, we could say that the Americans are the only Westerners who have had to fight hard for their independence. Could have been in their now apparent bellicose nature (side-effect of strong religious beliefs ? Protestant Jihad ?) or because they were the first. But the French revolution that started 7 years after the US independence caused much more deaths, upheaval and major political changes in the world at that time than the American revolution.

actually australia is still technicly british, the queen still their head of state, they had a vote while back and decided to keep the queen and all. when i was there victoria (the state) was getting flack for taking the crown off the license plates. the Elizabeth II is on the head of all the coins too.

Originally posted by jeisan
actually australia is still technicly british, the queen still their head of state, they had a vote while back and decided to keep the queen and all. when i was there victoria (the state) was getting flack for taking the crown off the license plates. the Elizabeth II is on the head of all the coins too.

Yes, and the same is true of Canada and many other commonwealth countries. But that does not mean that these countries are not completely independent politically or economically. Australia has been independent since 1901, when it had maybe just about 1 or 2 million inhabitants (less than the 13 American colonies in 1782, if I am not mistaken).

If you go on like this, we could also argue that Italy or Spain are still under the Vatican's influence, and therefore not independent (especially because Roman Catholicism is religion of state, and indeed the Church still has some influence on Italian politics). But it's pointless.

All I read was the first post, but I hope me eating french fries (or the stupidly name, Freedom Fries) will make me lose lots of wars? better start declining all invitations to games of Risk haha

I was waiting for someone to reply to that!

Maciamo,

I was just being flippant. :)

Seriously, I don't think many people realize how much aid we recieved from other countries at that time, that's all. (example, Kasmir Pulaski.) And, exaggeration is a good way to get someone's attention....

🙂

And when I read the first reply of this thread ...
...it just made me laugh.
I thought Americans didn't knew that well about French history to prepare this funny joke.

This joke underlines that the only things we should to be ashamed of are the military interventions motivated by megalomania. When I hear some Frenchmen who are proud of Napoleon, it just make me sick. We have done enough bull"""t to tolerate this bashing. Fortunately, (I hope) France has more than an imperialistic past.
@Shigatsu, I agree despite I am French
@Toshiya, Fogiel, Ruquier, Hardisson tout est dit.

Frank D. White said:
French Foreign Legion although you don't hear much about them anymore. And, don't forget French Ticklers !!! The famous Frenchman , Peppie LePhew who works for Warner Brothers is cool !!!

Frank

👏

The foreign legion actually has no French soldiers, hence, they are actually known for fighting.... Joke!!!

A bit like customer service at a shop, you always hear the bad things and not the good.

I remember seeing on TV, during WW2 Canadians manned radios as British and Americans couldn't understand one anothers accents, but both could understand Canadian, cool!!!

lineartube said:
Anyway, if you would comb this forum, you would find that there is more USA-bashing than any specific country.

As a world leader, Bush has the biggest "kick me" sign on his back since... well, I can't remember any world leader in history being so easy to be picked at. And he's still breaking records.

:)

I know this was from the last page but I just wanted to comment on it.

I believe the reason why there is a lot of people hateing Pres. Bush is because this is a large turning point in our political history to come. More and more things have been going on in the media as of recent that are very touchy and political that need Pres.Issues that weren't present years ago such as gay marriage and such. Bush's say in all of this is very important.He isn't going to please everyone though.

A lot of people hate his policies and the fact that we supposedly attacked a country for no good reason. What are we gonna do? Release Suddam, brush him off, and tell him we're sorry and let him go of to kill more innocent people? Him and his whole faimly, mostly his two sons, were sickos that found enjoyment in killing innocent people. If that isn't good enough a reason to get this guy then I don't know what is.

because america is not the world's police force and it isnt our job to go around starting wars and killing people. as much as you may think its right or whatever its not our place to be doing stuff like that. if anything america needs to take care of itself before it goes galavanting aroung the world killing dictators. 80 billion dollars could have provided a lot of food and shelter for the homeless or helped the many sick people here, but i guess the money is better spent killing humans huh?

jeisan said:
because america is not the world's police force and it isnt our job to go around starting wars and killing people. as much as you may think its right or whatever its not our place to be doing stuff like that. if anything america needs to take care of itself before it goes galavanting aroung the world killing dictators. 80 billion dollars could have provided a lot of food and shelter for the homeless or helped the many sick people here, but i guess the money is better spent killing humans huh?

I see what you're saying and I guess I should have commented on this a bit more. It's wrong that we are fighting. I hate wars, but they aren't completely unnescary. If we didn't step in to get Saddam who would? Not people from his own country, they're to afraid to do any sort of riot or protest against him because if they did they would get their head blown off.

I also think that we should be having more money going towards our own country. Though I believe we have to help the homeless, but not the homeless and poor that are out of jobs and are leisuring on our hard earned money through welfare programs. I mean the people who are just down on their luck and need a little money to get started again until they can find a job.

Though I do believe 80 billion is a little too much, but it is being spent on trying to protect our country. I believe that if we hadn't got people like this now that they would eventually attack us again and we'll lose more innocent lives.

I guess this years will be called "The carrot or the stick" years, because though people were simmetrical oppose about which methods to use, a nice orange carrot or a iron-cored stick, everyone agreed that Saddam & Co. was an evil dictator that had to go.
So, the stick party won and it will be on the history books. Get over it.

As for the "Without the French aid we recieved during the American Revolution, we'd be nothing more than a big British colony now", I think it would make a wonderful topic for a fictional history book. What would indeed happened if the American Revolution had taken 10-20 years later? Or perhaps even during the Napoleonic wars or the Industrial Revolution? Is it weird to think that maybe a French Colony, Mexico or the ex-Spanish Possessions of the West coast would be today one of the major powers?

It's a wonderful topic to research and develop and turn into a book. :)

Back
Top Bottom