What's new

Miyamoto Yuriko

Your interpretation is not so wrong. They made a club and held a tea ceremony. The writer wanted to say that they did these things as a kind of ceremony to show 女らしさ sarcastically.

Your interpretation is not so wrong. They made a club and held a tea ceremony. The writer wanted to say that they did these things as a kind of ceremony to show 女らしさ sarcastically.
Hi, yes, this passage shows sarcasm, I was just wondering if these were real facts, since I couldn't find anything about it. :)

Thank you!

Last edited:
In this passage, could I translate 何だヒステリーをおこして、という as "Be hysteric, they say"? (In the sense that those who can't see grace in women who are active and assertive, end up using "womanliness" as a weapon and find womanliness in women when they cry and are prone to drama).

そうして、活溌に論じ、行動する女の女らしさをいじらしく、雄々しく見ることの出来ない人々が、また、逆に「女らしさ」を武器として使う。相手にいいくるめられそうになり口惜しさに涙でもこぼせば、それ、女らしい。何だヒステリーをおこして、という。

それ、女らしい。何だヒステリーをおこして is the quotation of what those people said.
それ is an interjection like ほら.

それ、女らしい。何だヒステリーをおこして is the quotation of what those people said.
それ is an interjection like ほら.
I see, then it would be: "Look, this is feminine! (or would it be more like "look how women are!"?) They are hysteric, they say".

Last edited:
Hi, do you think that I could translate サンプル as "experiment" here:

朝子は客として、何かのサンプルのようにして、この愛する都の生活に寄食するには、あまりにもここの本当の姿を知っていすぎるし、自分の仕事を愛してもいるのだった。

"As a guest, Asako knew to much about the reality of this place and loved her work to parasite the life of this beloved city as a sort of experiment".

Too off? I will work on it in my language of course. 😅

You got the meaning correctly, anyway, so it's the problem of "translator's preference" after all. ;)

You got the meaning correctly, anyway, so it's the problem of "translator's preference" after all. ;)
That's true, getting the meaning correctly comes first right now, I can work on the "formal" part from there. When you say that my understanding is the opposite of what the text is saying, then I have a big problem, and it happens more often than I would like it to... 🙃

Last edited:
Hi, there! Could I say that, for Asako, more than the job (i suppose it is refering to the translation she is doing and not to the proposal to stay in the Soviet Union) what was in question in the situation was her sincerity? In the passage: 朝子としては、仕事そのものより、自分の誠意の問題として大事に考える種類のことなのであった

突っぱなして云った。そんな仕事を朝子が熱心にやっていることも今の素子には腹立たしい刺戟である。それがあらわに示された。これも、今おこっている問題と連関をもっていた。朝子としては、仕事そのものより、自分の誠意の問題として大事に考える種類のことなのであった。

Yes, I think you got it right. Asako was doing the translation not just as a job, but more likely as a problem of her sincerity.

Hi, please , what is the meaning of シキウキチョウアリタシ? I understood that the first part means that Tamotsu was found dead in the basement. It is hard to read plain katakana.

そこには八ガツ一ヒタモツドゾウチカシツニテシスアトフミと一並び書いてあった。それは返電で、二日前にシキウキチョウアリタシと打たれて来た。

至急帰朝ありたし(=急いで帰国してください)

It is hard to read plain katakana.
It's sometimes hard to read and understand even for natives. It's written in classical kana usage, like シキウ instead of シキュウ, or ありたし in classical grammar there. Furthermore, 帰朝 would be rarely used nowadays.

Hi, would you say that in 自分たち Asako is including herself and Motoko, or herself, Motoko and Tamotsu (now dead). My translation would be: By "we", in fact, she keenly meant herself and Motoko and those thousands, millions of far away people...

: 並んでいる素子がきくのに、朝子は黙って首をふった。若者の歌やよろこびの光景は、ここへ来て十ヵ月ほど経ったとき東京で自殺した弟の保の面影を痛惜をもってまざまざと甦えらしたのであった。それに連関して朝子の心には声なき絶叫がひびいた。われら、いつの日にかこの歌をうたわん。――われらというのは、やはりこのわれら自分たちをこめて遠いところにいる幾千、幾万だと、朝子は切実に感じるのであった。

Hi, please, how would you translate: 書附, a document (like an id)? And 凹(くぼ)んだようなところ? I imagined some kind of front desk (because she seemed to be at a hotel) that had a somewhat "cavernous" aspect: "She received the document that she left in a cavernous front desk..."

大階段を降り切った右手のちょっと凹(くぼ)んだようなところで預けてあった書附をかえして貰うと、更に六つ七つの段々からウラル大理石を張った広間へぬけ、大きい重いガラス扉を体で押して外へ出た。

But it says ちょっとへこんでいる so I'd imagine a small cubby or alcove or an indention in the architecture, sort of out of the way from the main desk.

1620943959376.png

But it says ちょっとへこんでいる so I'd imagine a small cubby or alcove or an indention in the architecture, sort of out of the way from the main desk.
Thank you! It is probably a better alternative. (In fact, I'm sure it is a better alternative! 😁)

Last edited:
Hi!
How do you interpret this passage: 女に映り女によって表現されるさまざまの世相をそれなり面白く描写してゆきます? I think that she is saying that the women are depicted by other women in these novels of manners in many interesting ways while going about their wordly affairs and their depiction is reflected back to them, but I'm not so sure... Ideas, please?

風俗小説、女に映り女によって表現されるさまざまの世相をそれなり面白く描写してゆきます。けれども、わたし達がこんにち生きる心の底には、色さまざまのネオンがいろんな角度から空に反射しているような女の世相を見るだけでは満足しない何かの思いが貫いているのではないでしょうか。

The core of the sentence is 風俗小説(は)、世相を描写してゆきます。.

Both 女に映り and 女によって表現される modify さまざまの世相, thus, various social conditions are reflected in and are expressed by women in these novels. These two 女 both refer to characters in 風俗小説.

I think それなり is それなりに, i.e., それなり面白く is close to "somewhat interestingly."

Hi! How would you interpret 風俗の上に現れるあの面は、関係として見ると、その面の裏であると云えるように思う? It seems to say that the elements of social life are not like a rich green view in which all the plants develop their buds at the same time (with abundant water and warmth), but it is more mechanical, like a seesaw. Up to this point I can gather more or less what is said, but I can't pinpoint the references from then on. I think that it says that to the person who is on one side of the seesaw the customs/manners appear behind the person seated in front and vice-versa, thus the confusion ( 紛糾). But, to be honest, it doesn't make any sense to me. Ideas, please?

今日の日本の諸風俗のありようというものは、つい先頃までは風俗描写の小説をもってリアリズムの文豪と称した一部の作家たちをも瞠若たらしめる紛糾ぶりである。その紛糾も、社会生活の諸要素が、ゆたかな雨とゆたかな日光とにぬくめられて、一時にその芽立ちに勢立つ緑濃き眺めと云うよりは、寧ろ、もっと力学的な或はシーソー風なもので、風俗の上に現れるあの面は、関係として見ると、その面の裏であると云えるように思う。

I think あの面 and その面の裏 would refer to the manner/condition/situation she wrote after that paragraph, i.e., the part from 今日軍需景気で絵画の偽作が横行する。 to 全く背までくっついていて離れられない双生児の歩む姿である。(= the both sides of 今日の日本の諸風俗).

Back
Top Bottom