What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Miyamoto Yuriko

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi! How would you interpret よいとまけ in the passage below? I've seen that it was a expression used when workers lifted heavy weights at constructions sites but it could also be a woman who had to work to earn a living, which I believe would be the case here. Ohana used to leave her baby at the day care and go out to "earn her daily bread" or something like that. Any suggestions? Or could anyone explain the meaning of the word in more detail? Thank you!

母乳のほかに山羊の乳をのませろと医者に言われて、お花さんは自分の稼ぎのつづく日にはそれを飲まし、ここへあずけて「よいとまけ」に出ているのであった。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Your understanding is correct. よいとまけ refers to people who do such hard physical labor at construction sites.

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Hi! What would the difference between ちい公 and ちい坊 be? I understand that it is a familiar way to call a baby boy, would both mean something like "little Chi"? Thank you!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Yes, but it can be used also for girls or adults. The suffix 公 often has a nuance of insulting at least nowadays (e.g., 先公 and ポリ公 are an insulting way of referring to teacher and policeman, respectively, and Lupin the third called Count Cagliostro "カリ公" when teasing him in a Miyazaki anime), but there would be no difference between those names in your case.

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Yes, but it can be used also for girls or adults. The suffix 公 often has a nuance of insulting at least nowadays (e.g., 先公 and ポリ公 are an insulting way of referring to teacher and policeman, respectively, and Lupin the third called Count Cagliostro "カリ公" when teasing him in a Miyazaki anime), but there would be no difference between those names in your case.
That's interesting! Thank you!

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would 先公 and ポリ公 be translated? I saw that the suffix was used for people in high positions in the past, “mighty teacher/ police officer”?
And would 坊 always give the idea that the person is younger?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would 先公 and ポリ公 be translated? I saw that the suffix was used for people in high positions in the past, “mighty teacher/ police officer”?
Those are insulting slang terms, like "pig" for policemen.

And would 坊 always give the idea that the person is younger?
Not always. If a person's nickname is ○○坊 when he was a boy, his close friends might call him ○○坊 even if he is already an adult.

karenk

Sempai
Reaction score
Those are insulting slang terms, like "pig" for policemen.
It is more insulting than I had imagined, i thought that it had a more ironic tone.

Not always. If a person's nickname is ○○坊 when he was a boy, his close friends might call him ○○坊 even if he is already an adult.
I see, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom