What's new

MEXT Scholarship through University Recommendation

Hi guys,
Just an hour ago, I got an email from Keio University, that I was nominated to receive MEXT through their recommendation. Anyone else going Keio?

good luck! hope you get it!

btw, MEXT stipend starting this April is 2000 yen less than last year.

Hi ine04,
good luck!
For what program and what school you were nominated?
I also applied to Keio, but I didn't receive any e-mail yet.
Hope to see you.

Last edited:
I applied to Keio IGP computer science. Hope see you there!
Does being recommended to MEXT mean that I am getting the scholarship?

I think your chance is strongly high.
I also applied to Keio IGP computer science and Communication Technology. Did you receive the e-mail from your prospective professor?
In your opinion why I didn't receive any e-mail?

It was from the administrations office (I think, cuz address domain "adst.keio"), not from my prospective advisor.

The mail asked me to confirm that I am willing to attend Keio as a MEXT recipient by next week. You might want to give them one or two more days, or inquire about it to your prospective advisor.

Best,

@ine04,
did you apply to IGP master course?
and is there any interview?

@feri,
i apply to Keio Univ too and until now, I haven't received any email from the administrations office... T____T

zuis,

Yes, I applied to Keio IGP (Master's program). I'm not sure about the interview; the mail I received didn't metion it.

Hi ZUIS!
I also haven't received any email.
I strongly need to be supported financially.
What program did you apply?
Best,
Hope to see you in Keio!

I got another email from Keio Univ requesting additional documents for MEXT application. According to the admistrations office, no one(from Keio) has been rejected by MEXT in the past.

Ok. Heading to Japan this August :)

Hi all,
Interesting and useful discussion you're having here - been following it for the past few days now. I also applied to Keio (Doctoral Program, Graduate School of S&T) and probably got the same email as ine04. Currently I'm filling in the new set of documents requested for MEXT application. Arranging yet another letter of recommendation puts me off a bit, but then, we are applying for a Japanese university aren't we? :)
Also, I noticed that it's very unclear whether nomination for MEXT means the same as getting it as long as you fit the bill. Judging by the tone of the emails Keio has been sending me (exclamation marks included), it's all in the pocket. If indeed no one gets rejected according to the admissions office, that's pretty reassuring.
See you out there!

Anyone here applied to Tokyo Institute of Technology?

Hi guys! nice to meet you all,
I am also applying MEXT scholarship by university recommendation,
just like you skyer, I am applying to Tokyo Institute of Technology.

My professor mailed me at feb 11 and told me that i am selected as a candidate of MEXT Scholarship. Now I'm just waiting for the official approval in june (I hope it will be good news :):)Have you got any news from your professor?Which department you are applying to?

financial support.

Hi everyone.
I received the announcement from Keio University. I successfully accepted to Keio's master program (IGP. Fall 2011). However, unfortunately I was not selected as the MEXT scholarship recipient.
I don't think I can survive without any financial help. I really want to enroll to Keio this year.
I would greatly appreciate information about any student financial assistance available for graduate students before admission.
Please help me.
Best,
Feri

Hi everyone.
I received the announcement from Keio University. I successfully accepted to Keio's master program (IGP. Fall 2011). However, unfortunately I was not selected as the MEXT scholarship recipient.
I don't think I can survive without any financial help. I really want to enroll to Keio this year.
I would greatly appreciate information about any student financial assistance available for graduate students before admission.
Please help me.
Best,
Feri

There are many scholarships you can apply to after you entered the Japanese university. However, it still means you have to somehow find your way of supporting yourself for at least 1 semester.

I did research on whether there are any scholarship for int. students before entering Japanese universities - but there are a few ones which I cannot apply (I don't remember either).

You could discuss with your advisor on this issue. But to my knowledge, it seems you have to manage the first semester without scholarship. Any better suggestion?

Hi all,
Interesting and useful discussion you're having here - been following it for the past few days now. I also applied to Keio (Doctoral Program, Graduate School of S&T) and probably got the same email as ine04. Currently I'm filling in the new set of documents requested for MEXT application. Arranging yet another letter of recommendation puts me off a bit, but then, we are applying for a Japanese university aren't we? :)
Also, I noticed that it's very unclear whether nomination for MEXT means the same as getting it as long as you fit the bill. Judging by the tone of the emails Keio has been sending me (exclamation marks included), it's all in the pocket. If indeed no one gets rejected according to the admissions office, that's pretty reassuring.
See you out there!

It's not 100%, but let's say, 99%. I've heard a few cases where students were denied MEXT scholarship, but because they have some glitches in their profiles. One case I've known personally is that he stopped studying for one year because of personal reasons, and resumed his studying later. He was recommended to MEXT by the university but was rejected by MEXT.

So you can be assured that you will receive MEXT! Congrats btw

Last edited:
Hi, thepie!
Thank you very much for your useful response.
Are you studying at Keio?
I assume that I can pay the tuitions by myself before my admission, are there any guarantees for receiving a scholarship after enrollment, that covers my tuitions and living expenses?
Can I ask my advisor to pay an amount of the tuition? Is it disrespectfully?
Thank you very much dear friend.
Any other suggestions will be very appreciated.
Best,
Feri

Hi, thepie!
I assume that I can pay the tuitions by myself before my admission, are there any guarantees for receiving a scholarship after enrollment, that covers my tuitions and living expenses?
Best,
Feri
No, I didn't apply to Keio. I applied to Tokodai.
There's no guarantees for receiving scholarship after enrollment, because good scholarships are highly competitive, and the requirements for each one vary case by case. You can ask the school for tuition support though, but the problem is that normally you can do that only AFTER the enrollment.
I don't think your advisor can help you with tuition fee - as in Japan the academia is a bit different from other countries. Many Japanese students have to pay for their tuition fee without financial support from the professor, so it's not likely he can help you with that. You can, however, ask him if you can find some TA-ship (if your Japanese is good), or RA-ship to support yourself (not sure though cuz you're a Master's degree student). Anyway, it doesn't hurt to ask your professor about this (but not about him paying part of your tuition fee).
I've found some links about scholarships in Japan in the website of Todai and also your university for your reference. I think you can send some email to the International center of Keio to get additional information. (sorry I can't post links directly)
u-tokyo.ac.jp/res03/scholarship-e2009.htm
u-tokyo.ac.jp/res03/i04_02_j.html
ic.keio.ac.jp/en/life/scholarship/intl_student.html
ic.keio.ac.jp/en/life/scholarship/available.html (yeah I saw some tuition fee reduction for int. students).
Good luck!

Hi guys! nice to meet you all,
I am also applying MEXT scholarship by university recommendation,
just like you skyer, I am applying to Tokyo Institute of Technology.
My professor mailed me at feb 11 and told me that i am selected as a candidate of MEXT Scholarship. Now I'm just waiting for the official approval in june (I hope it will be good news :):)Have you got any news from your professor?Which department you are applying to?

Congrats! I got the news in mid December. I'm applying to Dept. of Computer Science. What is yours?
Now I'm waiting for the official announcement from the school in March, and then from MEXT in early July (what a long process!! I wonder why?).

Congrats! I got the news in mid December. I'm applying to Dept. of Computer Science. What is yours?
Now I'm waiting for the official announcement from the school in March, and then from MEXT in early July (what a long process!! I wonder why?).

Hi tephie, nice to meet you 🙂,I am applying to dept. of environmental science and technology through research student program. what about you thepie?what program you are applying to?
yeah, it is a long process with long waiting... -____________-
Well I hope I will be meeting you in october..
Good luck for you :):)

Hi, thepie!
Best,
Feri
I second thepie that asking your advisor to pay a part of your tuition is probably out of the question. There is indeed a lot of scholarship information available on Keio's International Center scholarship page. Also, Jasso has a lot of information on scholarships on their website which also contains some references to tuition reduction.
I have the feeling there are not many scholarships available for Fall admission, so I applied for MEXT but also was working on some way of making my current employer fund a part of my research in Japan. So there is your final option: Be creative! Find (private) companies or organizations in either your home country or Japan that match up to your research and study interests or that promote study and inter-cultural exchange abroad, and try to convince them that they should give you some funding to follow your dreams. Tell them how they would benefit from it, and what you would provide in exchange. It won't be easy and most of the times probably very frustrating, but not impossible!
Apart from that, you should probably start applying for all those starting-in-April scholarships, since deadlines seem to come quite early for any of them :) Good luck!

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
It seems that I have to pay the tuitions myself, before admission.
I have some good research works (five published papers in the field of Communication engineering, in International conferences). In your opinion, are there any scholarships(Private or, etc.) related to researching works?
"International students wishing to apply for scholarships through Keio University in Spring Semester 2011, Registration period: March 29 (Tue.) – April 8 (Fri.), 2011)."
Can I apply to these scholarships before paying the tuitions?
Best,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
It seems that I have to pay the tuitions myself, before admission.
I have some good research works (five published papers in the field of Communication engineering, in International conferences). In your opinion, are there any scholarships(Private or, etc.) related to researching works?

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Yes, there are scholarships for researchers which are usually intended for the doctoral or post-doc level researchers. Of course, I'd say any foundation giving out scholarships would love to take into consideration your academic CV if it's a good one.

"International students wishing to apply for scholarships through Keio University in Spring Semester 2011, Registration period: March 29 (Tue.) – April 8 (Fri.), 2011)."
Can I apply to these scholarships before paying the tuitions?
Best,

Unless someone specifically happens to know, this seems like the typical kind of question you'd want to ask to Keio Uni's International Center. They have an e-mail address and usually reply very quickly.

applying to two scholarship possible??

Hi! Everyone! My name is Ray. I have one question about applying through university recommended type.

Do anyone know is it legitimate to applying scholarship through more than one university? Will it be disqualified for double application?

For me, I've got two PhD offer. Both of them tell me to apply for university recommended scholarship. I have no idea what to do. Could anyone help?

Many thx!

Hi! Everyone! My name is Ray. I have one question about applying through university recommended type.
Do anyone know is it legitimate to applying scholarship through more than one university? Will it be disqualified for double application?
For me, I've got two PhD offer. Both of them tell me to apply for university recommended scholarship. I have no idea what to do. Could anyone help?
Many thx!

Yeah if two universities nominate you to MEXT at the same time, you will be disqualified. That's why I learned from my advisor when applying to MEXT through Titech. So be careful with your choice.

Back
Top Bottom