What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

MEXT Scholarship through University Recommendation

tomoni

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
It is all conjecture, because it really depends on the university involved in their policies and the kind of action they want to take.

For your information in my opinion, it depends on 3 things:

1) is the deadline the “real” deadline or not?
-likely (95% plus), it is an internal deadline.

2) will your degree arrive before the real deadline?
-if it does not, then there is nothing that can be done

3) if it will arrive before the real deadline, it depends on how badly the university wants that student to join.
Because of Covid, less international students have come and universities are trying to fill slots. Also, some universities have international exchange as part of their KPI, so they might be interested in filling slots.
However, if they have many students waiting that meet the requirements, they will not wait for your friend I think. This is probably directly related to the size of the faculty or department and the number of slots they have available so I can’t give you really any good information except that you just have to ask them and see what they say.

good luck.

nguyenng178

後輩
Reaction score
It is all conjecture, because it really depends on the university involved in their policies and the kind of action they want to take.

For your information in my opinion, it depends on 3 things:

1) is the deadline the “real” deadline or not?
-likely (95% plus), it is an internal deadline.

2) will your degree arrive before the real deadline?
-if it does not, then there is nothing that can be done

3) if it will arrive before the real deadline, it depends on how badly the university wants that student to join.
Because of Covid, less international students have come and universities are trying to fill slots. Also, some universities have international exchange as part of their KPI, so they might be interested in filling slots.
However, if they have many students waiting that meet the requirements, they will not wait for your friend I think. This is probably directly related to the size of the faculty or department and the number of slots they have available so I can’t give you really any good information except that you just have to ask them and see what they say.

good luck.
Makes sense

1. They had already submitted the Notice of Delay form to request for a 1-month period after the official deadline so I believed it's a hard deadline. It could be a false assumption though so I'll let them know about this point. Thank you

2. Their certificate won't be available even after the "hard" deadline I mentioned above. So I understand there would be a high risk that my friend won't be accepted into the program, we're trying everything we can.

3. Our university is a private institution with a good reputation in the number of international students, I think. Hope that will increase the chance (There is another factor - the MEXT slots, wasting a scholarship slot should affect the overall reputation of the university, so I want to believe they would be more flexible in this case).

Thanks for your thoughtful reply 😁

tomoni

Sempai
Donor
Reaction score
Makes sense

1. They had already submitted the Notice of Delay form to request for a 1-month period after the official deadline so I believed it's a hard deadline. It could be a false assumption though so I'll let them know about this point. Thank you

2. Their certificate won't be available even after the "hard" deadline I mentioned above. So I understand there would be a high risk that my friend won't be accepted into the program, we're trying everything we can.

3. Our university is a private institution with a good reputation in the number of international students, I think. Hope that will increase the chance (There is another factor - the MEXT slots, wasting a scholarship slot should affect the overall reputation of the university, so I want to believe they would be more flexible in this case).

Thanks for your thoughtful reply 😁

Hello Mr. Nguyễn

I sent a PM to you about this.

rockdude

後輩
Reaction score
For 2021 departure. Anybody got their VISA schedule and have departure date?
Nothing here. It looks like MEXT is handling the backlog of 2020 scholars first. A good number of them from various sources (Facebook, Reddit, some whatsapps) have gotten some info, but nothing for 2021.

nguyenng178

後輩
Reaction score
For 2021 departure. Anybody got their VISA schedule and have departure date?
Nothing's news.
Though, there is going to be an online orientation for MEXT students at the end of this month organized by my graduate school. So I guessed my departure would be after that point.

heyitsL

Kouhai
Reaction score
Nothing here. It looks like MEXT is handling the backlog of 2020 scholars first. A good number of them from various sources (Facebook, Reddit, some whatsapps) have gotten some info, but nothing for 2021.
Looks like the September departure for 2021 scholars looks like impossible till all 2020 scholar already in Japan. My graduate school also do not have any information regarding to Visa and departure dates.

Nothing's news.
Though, there is going to be an online orientation for MEXT students at the end of this month organized by my graduate school. So I guessed my departure would be after that point.
My Home country Embassy will have pre departure orientation for MEXT student this first week of September.

I hear that Osaka Univ. will have their orientation in last week of September and first week of October.

Top Bottom