What's new

MEXT Scholarship 2016 (Research)

(6) If a grantee desires to step up to a regular course for a degree from a Research Student non-degree course, in principle, he/she must move on to the graduate school of the university at which he/she is studying as Research Student. If proceeding to the graduate school is deemed to be inappropriate given the grantee's major field or ability, he/she may be allowed to transfer to another graduate school provided that he/she is admitted to enroll in.

Straight out of the application guidlines. ;)

Wow, thanks for your reply. It's strange, but that isn't included in the guidelines on the embassy website in my country!

So, by the looks of things, it would be possible to go into a different course other than the one listed on my application, provided it's in the same department. I imagine a lot of it depends on my supervisor's approval and permission.

Hey guys,
I got my visa and the ticket.
I will arrive on 4th April, at around 14h which is perfect.

What are you planning to pack? I am so lost but.also excited about packing. Btw did you find anything about your entrance examinatiom for master degree?
And sooo onnn

Hey guys,

What are you planning to pack? I am so lost but.also excited about packing. Btw did you find anything about your entrance examinatiom for master degree?
And sooo onnn

For the entrance examination thing, check with your school that you plan to go to. For University of Tokyo you need to take the entrance exam for embassy MEXT scholarship.

For the entrance examination thing, check with your school that you plan to go to. For University of Tokyo you need to take the entrance exam for embassy MEXT scholarship.

Oh I checked with my Gradiate School, for me the screening will be done, in form of an interview.

What are you planning to pack? I am so lost but.also excited about packing.

I plan to bring a lot of Strepsils (throat lozenges).
I worked in Tokyo for the past three months. The first week I started working I got really sick.
Tried different Japanese throat lozenges sold in konbini and drug store, didn't think they helped much.
Talked to an Indian colleague about this matter and he holds the same opinion as I do.

If you are consuming certain medicines regularly, remember to bring enough supply to Japan too.
I made my mistake by thinking the same drug can be purchased / obtained easily at the pharmacy in Japan.

Also plan to bring loads of traditional Malaysian snacks as usual.
I love Japanese snacks, I could eat just snacks for dinner (or lunch) in Tokyo.
But snacks from the homeland is my best comfort food.

Hi guys, I just discovered this forum, I've created a group on facebook for all MEXT grantees from 2016 (=people who start studying in Japan in 2016) , we're already a lot of members, so feel free to join ! :) (Please write me private message on Facebook if you would like to join) Cheers !

Hey guys,
And sooo onnn
I wrote a blog post about things you shouldn't forget to do before you leave. Might want to check it out! ;)
http://thekonbini.com/blog/are-you-prepared-for-leaving

Hi guys, I just discovered this forum, I've created a group on facebook for all MEXT grantees from 2016 (=people who start studying in Japan in 2016) , we're already a lot of members, so feel free to join ! :) (Please write me private message on Facebook if you would like to join) Cheers !
Hi, Barra! I've already linked it once, but I certainly don't mind having it linked twice. :)

Today I was wondering something .... Has anyone accepted any additional, smaller bursaries or awards while a MEXT recipient?

There are of course a wide array from smaller, one time awards from private sources, your university, and your home government - does anyone have experience applying for those after accepting MEXT, or while being on MEXT?

I know that we aren't allowed to receive another JP government award while on MEXT - I wondered about the smaller bursaries and prizes, though.

I
Today I was wondering something .... Has anyone accepted any additional, smaller bursaries or awards while a MEXT recipient?

There are of course a wide array from smaller, one time awards from private sources, your university, and your home government - does anyone have experience applying for those after accepting MEXT, or while being on MEXT?

I know that we aren't allowed to receive another JP government award while on MEXT - I wondered about the smaller bursaries and prizes, though.

Maybe it can get covered as sponzorship? But I would not know about that

Not sure too, but it doesn't make sense for them to be opposed to someone fetching such an award. I think MEXT's main concern is another humongous scholarship/source of income (be it JP or not?) that would simply make the recipient a bit too...rich, for the circumstances at hand, haha.

One time small-ish awards should be fine. Not to mention that this can go unnoticed, I guess.

Hi all,
I am planning to apply for MEXT research scholarship for 2017 admission, but no thread has been set up yet. So I post my question here.

I'm in the life science field - specifically virology. Let's say my research proposal is about studying the molecular mechanism of influenza virus infection. After admitted to the lab, I will still focus on influenza virus study, but maybe in another aspect than my research proposal. Let's say, instead of molecular mechanism of infection, I change it to protein studies and vaccine development instead. Is it allowable?

I mean, do we have to ABSOLUTELY do our research as written in our submitted research proposal?

Hope to hear some feedback. Thanks!

Hi all,
I am planning to apply for MEXT research scholarship for 2017 admission, but no thread has been set up yet. So I post my question here.

I'm in the life science field - specifically virology. Let's say my research proposal is about studying the molecular mechanism of influenza virus infection. After admitted to the lab, I will still focus on influenza virus study, but maybe in another aspect than my research proposal. Let's say, instead of molecular mechanism of infection, I change it to protein studies and vaccine development instead. Is it allowable?

I mean, do we have to ABSOLUTELY do our research as written in our submitted research proposal?

Hope to hear some feedback. Thanks!
Hey there! There is a thread called MEXT scholarship (graduate students) 2017 that you can join for additional information although it's not very active at the moment. As for your question, I do not think so. I think that your research can change based on what your professor wants after you are accepted. Good luck!

Hey there! There is a thread called MEXT scholarship (graduate students) 2017 that you can join for additional information although it's not very active at the moment. As for your question, I do not think so. I think that your research can change based on what your professor wants after you are accepted. Good luck!

Sorry but I couldn't find the MEXT Scholarship 2017 thread for graduate students. Could you please kindly guide me to the forum?

Thank you for your reply! :)

I got my tickets and visa too. I'll arrive in Kyoto on April 4th. So excited!

Me too! Kyoto University?

EDIT: Are you Veronika by any chance?

Congrats guys - you must be getting really excited now!

I have a pretty specific question... Do you fly into Kansai international from abroad or are you arriving at Narita and doing the old bus ride to Haneda?

Cheers

MEXT always supplies you tickets from the closest airport to your home to the closest airport to your university of choice. In my case, I'm flying from Ljubljana (Slovenia) through Istanbul (Turkey) to Kansai International Airport in Osaka.

MEXT always supplies you tickets from the closest airport to your home to the closest airport to your university of choice. In my case, I'm flying from Ljubljana (Slovenia) through Istanbul (Turkey) to Kansai International Airport in Osaka.

So straight into Kansai from abroad - that was my question. Avoiding the Narita-Haneda switch over is nice.

Congrats guys - you must be getting really excited now!

I have a pretty specific question... Do you fly into Kansai international from abroad or are you arriving at Narita and doing the old bus ride to Haneda?

Cheers
Thank you!

I'm coming from Seoul to KIX.

Me too! Kyoto University?

EDIT: Are you Veronika by any chance?

Yes, Kyoto University! Nope, Veronika is my friend :D

Then I have no idea who you are. :D

Well I'm pretty sure your friend is staying in the same dorm as me. She's one of the luckier ones that got the double rooms (or is she actually bringing her partner with her?). :joyful:

Hi guys, just wanted to ask if those of you accepted to Todai were offered a choice of dorms, or only one? Can I ask which one(s) were you offered? I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Hi guys, just wanted to ask if those of you accepted to Todai were offered a choice of dorms, or only one? Can I ask which one(s) were you offered? I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Hello madphysicist, they just said that if we wanna live at the dorms we must choose the komaba lodge main.. After that they just give you a room number..

Best regards..

Back
Top Bottom