What's new

Love confession reply translation help

Lisa Xu

Registered
5 Nov 2017
I confessed to this teacher assistant in my Japanese class who is an international student here until December, I got really nervous and ran out after I gave him the letter. Then he texted this huge paragraph thing in Japanese that google translate cannot help me with what he said, so can anyone tell me the general meaning of it and if it's a yes or no to my confession?

嬉しいけど学校の約束(校則)でダメなのでLine限定でトークなら構わないからどんどん話してきてね。あと、ここからダンスの話になるけど、恥ずかしがらずにやっだら大丈夫だから dance is let's try してみましょう! XXちゃんは努力家で真面目に何でもやるところがいいところだと思います。

He said he's glad but the school rules prohibit it, so it's no problem with talking only via LINE. He also said as for your dance, it's OK if you perform without being shy. He also thinks it's good that you are a hard worker and do everything seriously.
In short, his answer is no.

He said he's glad but the school rules prohibit it, so it's no problem with talking only via LINE. He also said as for your dance, it's OK if you perform without being shy. He also thinks it's good that you are a hard worker and do everything seriously.
In short, his answer is no.
There's also a part I didn't post on here because I understood it, but will that change anything? Thanks.

手紙をもらったとき、とても嬉しいくて、最初は何で渡されたのかわからなくて、中を見たら、信じられないほど嬉しい文章でびっくりした!

I'm afraid, no. He declined with thanks in a very euphemistic manner after all.

I'm afraid, no. He declined with thanks in a very euphemistic manner after all.
Judging just by your summary I would say it's "I'm open to the idea but let's keep it secret". Obviously there's something in the original Japanese that says otherwise (I'm not doubting your interpretation). What a nice guy he sounds, to reject you so gentlemanly.

He was glad to receive your letter but didn't understand why at first. When he read it, he was surprised and elated by your words. (edit: ah sorry i misread that you had already understood this part)

Taking into consideration the rest of the letter, he let you down very politely. It isn't meant to be

Judging just by your summary I would say it's "I'm open to the idea but let's keep it secret". Obviously there's something in the original Japanese that says otherwise (I'm not doubting your interpretation).
It's clear from the 嬉しいけど. That's the precise point where the reply (sadly) switches from "I was really happy about your letter" to "but I'm afraid I'll have to say no."

To mention other factor(s) than their feelings is a typical way of refusing (e.g., I'm happy, but the rules prohibit it, so I can't), and "no problem with talking if it's only via LINE" connotes that there is a problem with talking directly face to face (in school or private).

To mention other factor(s) than their feelings is a typical way of refusing (e.g., I'm happy, but the rules prohibit it, so I can't), and "no problem with talking if it's only via LINE" connotes that there is a problem with talking directly face to face (in school or private).
What does that mean? With the problem talking directly..

Probably there is no problem with talking to him like you have been so far, but he would be troubled if you talk to him so closely like between lovers.

for instance, I would not mention this letter or its contents to him in person or outside of the context of the Line chat, and don't attempt to cozy up to him, as it's improper for him in his position.

He's a 17 year old teaching assistant? Is this a high school Japanese class or is the teacher a relative of his or something?

for instance, I would not mention this letter or its contents to him in person or outside of the context of the Line chat, and don't attempt to cozy up to him, as it's improper for him in his position.

He's a 17 year old teaching assistant? Is this a high school Japanese class or is the teacher a relative of his or something?
It's like a high school credit course outside of school that happens once a week that is provided by the Japanese culture centre in our city. And these international Japanese high school students would come and help out I guess.. And I'm a year and a half younger than him..

ahh, ok thank you for the context. I'd recommend to just keep it professional then, and consider any Line interactions as well to just be for language practice and cultural exchange :emoji_relaxed:

I confessed to the boy again today, face to face somewhat. But because of our lack of understanding of each other's languages, he ended up writing a letter by hand and can anybody please tell me if I have a chance now, or did anything change? (if he hinted liking me in any way..) I understood the general meaning. Thanks

急にこんなことを言われて正直驚いています。初めて告白されたので 「自分のどこが良いのか」 と思いました。

りさちゃんみたいに努力家でもないし、機転が良いわけでもないのに大丈夫かなと思っています。あと数日で日本に帰りますが、りさちゃんの思いは受け取り帰ろうと思います。しかし、ご存じの通り私の学校は恋愛をすることは許されておりません。

りさちゃんも人より頑張ているし、自分よりも全然違う別の世界の人間だと思っています。私を選んで (好きになってくれて) ありがとう。これから会えなくなる日があります。

りさちゃんにも素敵な人生が待っていると思うのでりさちゃんはりさちゃんで頑張ってほしいと思っています。もしも、この先どこかであったとしたら、りさちゃんにも恥ずかしくないような大人になり、昇進していきたいと考えています。これからは文通やソーシャルネットワークサービスで会話をしていく仲を続けたいです。

2017. Nov 25

短い間 どうもありがとう

こんな私に恋してくれてありがとう 神户にぜひ遊びに来てね

私の卒業を待っよりも、あなたはあなたの人生を歩むべきだと思います。

He very gently and very politely explained that while he is very grateful for your confession (the first he has ever received), it simply can not be.

He wishes to continue being just friends via correspondence/SNS.

Back
Top Bottom