What's new

Looking for mother (Suzuko Noda) in Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan

Have you had success in locating a lost relative in Japan?

• I have been successful in finding a lost relative in Japan.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not had ANY success in finding a lost relative in Japan.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

SheliaWalker

後輩
26 Jul 2003
I am sending this e-mail from Washington, DC (USA) in hopes that someone might be able to give me some suggestions on how I can locate my mother in Japan. She returned to her birthplace (Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan) in 1960 leaving behind 4 children (ages 1, 2, 4, and 5). I have outlined all the information I know regarding her below:

Mother窶冱 Name: Suzuko Noda
Date of Birth: March 26, 1926
Place of Birth: Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan

Last Known Address in Japan:
1 Dagadori 3 Chome, Fukuoka-Ken
Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan

Known Relatives:
Brother: Tsutomu Noda (Note: I was told it is 窶彜toma窶?

Left Japan:
Date: 1952
Left Japan under the name of Suzuko Mahoney

Returned to Japan:
Date: 1960
Returned to Japan under the name Suzuko Mahoney
Returned to Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan

Marital Information:
Date Married: May 8, 1952
Location of Marriage: Married in Kyushu, Japan
Filing of Marriage: Filed at U.S. American Council in Kyushu/Fukuoka Prefecture

Updated Information regarding my search for Suzuko Noda

I have found out that the last know address that I previously posted was not accurate this is the correct "spelling" of the area she was from:

Last Known Address in Japan:
1 Daigakudori 3 Chome
Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City
Kyushu, Japan

Note: I was informed that Daigakudori is now Chiyo, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi

Have you tried putting any of this information into Japanese or contacting the Fukuoka municipal offices with your search? Also, there is no "Stoma" pronunciation in Japanese, so this cannot be an accurate spelling.

Elizabeth,

Thanks for the reply. I will do as you suggested. I'm so glad you told me about the name "Stoma". I had someone reply to one of my messages from Toshima-ku Tokyo that had seen one of the messages I posted about my search for my mother. Based on the information that I posted regarding her last know address [1 Daigakudori 3 Chome, Fukuoka-Ken, Fukuoka City, Kyushu, Japan] he called Fukuoka City Hall to find out what the new name is for the old area 窶廛aigakudori窶 and was told that it is now known as 窶廚hiyo, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi窶? Then he looked in a phone book for Fukuoka-shi and based on the last know address for her found a person with the following name and address:

Susumu Noda
3-45-1-1203, Chiyo, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi

Since I can't speak Japanese I have asked someone who is Japanese to call to inquire. I have not gotten a reply to my request yet, put I'm praying that the person will make the call for me.

Again, Thanks!!!

Sheila,

That would be an amazingly fortuitous outcome. One thing strongly in your favor is the rarity of the name Noda, both in numbers and spelling. I believe 窶禿ャ窶彡 is the only possible character combination in fact, whereas some first and even family names come with multiple (even hundreds) of possible variations. At any rate, really do hope things work out in this case ;).

Latest info regarding the search for Suzuko Noda and thanks to those who helped me!!

This posting is for all the people that have been so kind to respond to my posting regarding my search for my mother Suzuko Noda:

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone that responded to my posting on this web-site regarding my search for my mother. Its been really nice to see how kind hearted some people can be and how a person's heart can be touched by a complete stranger asking for help. That's rare, but very nice!!!!!

I wanted to post the latest information on my search for Suzuko Noda. I窶况e received some disturbing news regarding my mother, and I窶冦 not sure what next step I should take, if any. I窶冤l bring you up to speed with where things are and also ask that you let me know anyway that you think you can help me. About 2 weeks ago the American Consulate Fukuoka asked the Citizens Section of the Hakata Ward Office to help me locate my mother. This is the response that I received from the American Consulate regarding their request:

Dear Ms. Shelia A. Walker:

Thank you for your e-mail dated February 18 addressed to the American Consulate-General Osaka-Kobe. Osaka-Kobe forwarded the e-mail to the American Consulate Fukuoka for reply since your mother's last known address is located in our consular district. The Consulate does not normally get involved in searches for persons who were last seen such a very long time ago. Having said that, we made some effort to try to locate your mother, Ms. Suzuko Noda.

The following describes what we did to try to locate your mother:

1. We tried to get telephone numbers of Ms. Suzuko Noda or Ms. Tsutomu Noda with the given address (Chiyo, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka) and found that no telephone numbers are registered under these names. We even called several persons with the family name of "NODA" living in Chiyo, Hakata-ku, but we were not successful.

2. We called the Citizens Section of the Hakata Ward Office. A clerk of the section, kindly searched the office's records and found a person named "Suzuko Noda", who shows the same place of birth but a slightly different date of birth (only the year matched). The record also shows she was married to a U.S. citizen named Henry Mahoney (not James H. Mahoney). The ward office thinks that this is probably your mother's record, but since the birthdate was wrong, he will not release any information on this person's whereabouts and on whether or not they are still alive.

However, before he can release any further information, he wants you to find out Ms. Suzuko Noda's parents' names (preferably in "Kanji" 窶鼎hinese characters) and any other information on her relatives other than her brother, Mr. Tsutomu Noda. It would be best for you to call him directly and to convey this information yourself. However, if you provide us with new information (see our fax number below if you need to fax any Kanji character information), we will try one more time to convince him to release information.

If possible, please contact the Hakata Ward Office directly to provide them with the required information. By doing so, there is a chance for you to obtain the certified copy of this person's family register, which shows her present status and address.

The Citizens Section ("SHIMIN-KA")
Hakata Ward Office
2-9-3 Hakataekimae
Hakata-ku
Fukuoka, Japan 812-8512

The disturbing news is that after I called the Hakata Ward Office I was informed that since I don窶冲 have the correct birth date and can窶冲 give them her parents names they will not release the records. But I was informed later from the American Consulate that the Hakata Ward Office told them that 窶廬F THEY HAVE THE RECORDS FOR THE PERSON THAT I窶儁 LOOKING FOR窶 that she died in 1977, which would mean that she died at the age of 55. But I still can窶冲 get them to release the family records to me. I窶况e been trying to get the correct birthdate to give to them to see if they will release the records to me but I窶冦 having a very hard time here from the US.

I窶况e decided not to give up completely and to try to find out if my mother has any living relatives so that I can at least try to find them and find out about my Japanese heritage. If you can help me to get her birth certificate or death certificate I would then have the information I need to ask for the family records.

With Sincere Thanks!!!

Shelia Walker

Words of encouragement for those looking for relativesツ….

My search for my mother is over!!! As I mentioned in my previous posting, I found out that my mother died in 1977, but recently I was able to obtain her Koseki Tohon from the Hakata Ward office.

When I received the Koseki in the mail I cried like a new born baby, I was so happy!!! The people at the ward office were extremely helpful to me. Not only did they send me my mother's Koseki, but they also sent me the Koseki for each living relative and provided notes for me in English to help me understand the information. It turns out that I have an uncle that lives in Nagazumi and one in Yoshizuka. I have written them both a letter to see if they are interested in communicating with me.

Soツ….. I hope my story has encouraged someone to KEEP LOOK for their loved one or loves ones!!!!!!

Congratulations on reuniting with your family. I wish you great luck and happiness in the coming days, as you try to communicate with your uncles. Hope it turns aout to be a success for you.

Back
Top Bottom