What's new

Look what's headed my way.

We should be getting the typhoon sometime tomorrow or Sunday. The only thing I really don't like about it is the rain perpendicular to the ground, as alluded to before. I usually have the narrow top part of my patio windows open, but I won't be able to when the typhoon hits!
Glad to hear that you're doing alright, Obeika! I hope DrP's doing well also!

Be safe, I hope you are in an area and a structure that is able to withstand the winds.

I have been in any number of typhoons here in Okinawa, one about 6 or 7 years ago that I actually feared for my life. Long story there, but in the past so now I can actually laugh about it. Just to give a bit of an idea here, I was in a van, Nissan Largo, and the water was above my knees while I was trying to drive.......

This typhoon has similar characteristics, Mikawa_san be safe. My thoughts are with you.

I am most concerned about the southern part of Kyushu, mostly because of the enormous amount of rain that is falling there. Just by rain alone, there is going to be a total of A METER of water from what has already fallen with what is projected to fall. (Unless I understood wrong.) Mikawa will get far less rain than that.

The only time I ever feared for my life in a typhoon was 5 or 6 years ago when I went with a friend for ramen in the middle of a typhoon (don't ask). After I left the car and was heading towards the restaurant, the big plastic sign (think McDonald's golden arches in size) fell down where I was standing not but seconds before.

I truly felt lucky that day!

I am most concerned about the southern part of Kyushu, mostly because of the enormous amount of rain that is falling there. Just by rain alone, there is going to be a total of A METER of water from what has already fallen with what is projected to fall. (Unless I understood wrong.) Mikawa will get far less rain than that.
The only time I ever feared for my life in a typhoon was 5 or 6 years ago when I went with a friend for ramen in the middle of a typhoon (don't ask). After I left the car and was heading towards the restaurant, the big plastic sign (think McDonald's golden arches in size) fell down where I was standing not but seconds before.
I truly felt lucky that day!

I wont ask, but I am willing to bet it was the same typhoon. I was literally scared crapless as I attempted to push my van through chest deep water, I am about 194cm, deep water, passing k-cars that were totally submerged in water, nearly 250 meters, with me holding the steering wheel, and 100 to 125 mph winds pushing in my face, at high tide.

I got some help for the last 30 meters or so but I was shaking so badly that I couldnt even hold a can of beer in my hand that a guy gave to me to "chill" out. Talk about the ultimate sacrilege for a guy from Wisconsin.

I get the feeling that everyone has some "story" or two about some idiotic behavior.

I won't go into details of how I spent my day, but I will let you all know that I am well. Long, Long day and tomorrow will be just as long doing the cleanup!

Power is out all over the island, but in spots. I hope Kyushu survives!

I won't go into details of how I spent my day, but I will let you all know that I am well. Long, Long day and tomorrow will be just as long doing the cleanup!

Power is out all over the island, but in spots. I hope Kyushu survives!

Glad to "hear" from you here, we lost power for over 12 hours, but fortunately before it got too bad I was able to get to a Lawson and buy a few blocks of ice.

I hope you and your family are well, your "area" evidently sustained some damage, at least according to NHK news that is.

I also pray for Kyushyu, this one is big.

Luckily I installed a generator last year! We rode out the storm in comfort while many of the neighbors were in the dark!

They are not cheep, to wire an entire house with enough power would cost quite a pretty penny. It doesnt happen enough for me anyway to justify the cost expenditure. In over 20 years of living here the power has gone out in the house I live in a total of 2 times.

Granted I agree with you that DocP's preparation was showing great planning and foresight but I cant spend that much money on something that will pretty much just sit there and do nothing.

I can buy small generators that will keep one refrigerator and a couple of fans running but to make an entire house comfortable needs something with maybe 10 to 15,000 kwatts of capacity and those run upwards of $4,000.00 (US) for the generator alone without including installation costs.

Still I am glad he is fine as well, there are a number of people here that were injured.

It cost me $800 for a generator, and I wired it myself. Just enough power to run the downstairs, and keep us comfortable during a storm. No TV, PC, but a couple of lights, fridge, AC. Just the basics.

Just a little update from this part of the country.

It rained yesterday and around 11:00 it started to pick up some more. I was awake on and off until 2:30, but we missed the circle of strong winds at the center of the typhoon. It is true that we got a warning for the winds, but the truth is that they remain to our south.

If you turn on the news right now you'll see that it is very close to here, but it's not windy or rainy at all. It's kind of like being in the eye of the storm except that the eye should be located further south.

I had expected a lot more from this typhoon in this area, but I don't think I should complain about that if I see how bad Kyushu got hit.

It's now pretty sunny up here and I will be able to play some catch ball with my brother in law.

Rains yesterday were on and off (and by "on" I mean raining hard, and "off" would be raining not so hard) with negligible winds. Today I woke up and the light was streaming through my shades, so I thought that the storm must have passed. Then I looked out the window.

It's a pretty consistent downpour, with relatively strong winds as well. I think I'll stay indoors today.

Lots of wind and a little rain but other than that a bit anticlimactic here in Fukuoka. Nishitetsu stopped their trains around 3pm for the rest of the day yesterday but by this morning and atm it is a nice partly sunny day with not a drop of rain in sight and calm winds. The typhoons of the last couple years were much more severe imo.

looks like the storm has turned away; the rains have stopped for now, and the weather forecast is looking significantly brighter

Back
Top Bottom