What's new

Juliette Binoche in Japan ?

fabinoche

後輩
18 Aug 2002
I've just published a Juliette Binoche fan site on http://membres.lycos.fr/fabinoche/ . More than 600 photos, posters and pics of her films, news, interviews, box office, downloads... Feel free to chek it out
:)

Juliette Binoche so far has starred in European and American films. But would you be pleased to see her in any Asian film, like Jean Reno (who was in Godzilla, Ronin, Wasabi...) who she costars with in her next film ? Or do you just don't care about her ?

Juliette has already said that she would have liked to be in a film directed by Akira Kurosawa, by the time when he was still alive, but they have never been able to work together...

Regards

fabinoche

Juliette Binoche, a French dream

Ah, the "English Patient", one of my most favorite movies, also thanks to Juliette.

What do you mean by "Asian film"? I cannot imagine her to costar with, let's say, Jackie Chan, lol.

As far as I can remember, the only Asian reference in "Ronin" was the film's title (still a great movie!).

Where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, Fabinoche!
🙂

Juliette Binoche and Asian films

Hi Thomas,

You're right in saying that Ronin isn't an Asian film, though it deals with Asian culture. It was just to help you see who Jean Reno is, in case he's not very famous in Asia...

As for Asian films, I may advise you The Wedding Banquet, Eat Drink Man Woman, and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, by Ang Lee, After the rain (Ame agaru) by Takashi Koizumi, Dreams (Yume) by Akira Kurosawa, Hana-bi by Takeshi Kitano, In the mood for love (Hua yang nian hua) by Kar Wai Wong... just to remind that the Asian do make very interesting films besides action movies (even though Crouching tiger... is an action movie), if necessary.
It's true that their action movies are better known in Europe or in the US. But it's a shame, in my opinion. Well, of course, that's just my opinion.

Thanks for your reply

fabinoche

Juliette Binoche, a French dream

Re: Juliette Binoche and Asian films

Fabinoche,

mentioning Jackie Chan was a deliberate provocation, please forgive me.
:)

I've watched some of the movies you mentioned above, and I could well imagine Juliette Binoche to act in such "artistic kind" of cinema. I'm not sure about the U.S., but I don't think that Europeans reduce Asian movies to Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee.

Takeshi Kitano or Juzo Itami are well-known to an interested audience, their movies are even screened on TV. Here in Vienna we've hada lot of film festivals focusing on Asian directors. I am sure that Asian cinema gets even more attention in France, I know that there are quite a few excellent French web sites on that topic, such as Cineasie.com

=> CineAsie.com is for sale | HugeDomains (with a definition of J-cinema)

PS: I've moved this thread to our movie section.

Back
Top Bottom