What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

electronic music in japan

windcheater

後輩
Reaction score
hello everyone, genki?

just discovered these forums, look good..

i am returning to japan in a month for a few years and am interested to know more about the electronic music scene in japan. any recommendations?

i like all types of music and i also produce my own stuff. i am wondering if there is any market for me in japan however small. i produce mainly breakbeat based tracks but would like to do some stuff with vocals in the future

if you fancy having a listen to anything i have done you can find stuff here

http://www.soundclick.com/windcheater

funnily enough one tune i have done using japanese samples has been chosen to feature on a promotional site for the new nokia phone here in europe. whether it will be enjoyed is another matter....:)

cheers

Ami

iami5o4
Reaction score
Well, the only sort of electronic Japanese music i've heard was from The Mad Capsule Markets. heh... thats the only one I know and can recommend. :D

Gaki

Emperor Gakihito
Reaction score
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, and the others already mentioned.

kinjo

Sempai
Reaction score
Originally posted by Gaki
Plus-Tech Squeeze Box, and the others already mentioned.
Ah! They are great... I've only heard one song by them and that was Early Riser which was in a advert in the UK for a sports drink :p

I need to find songs by them.....

/me sends his spies abroad

windcheater

後輩
Reaction score
thanks for the suggestions everyone, i will be checking them out for sure

lineartube

free spirit
Reaction score
Nice beats, windcheater. I'll stream the other 5 ones asap. :)

Good luck with your adventure.

budd

先輩
Reaction score
huuuu... those are pretty punk/rock related imo
you said breakbeat... hold on
edit: what about some of the compost artists/collaborators?
kyoto jazz massive
toshio matsuura (ufo)
yukuhiro foukutomi (misspelling jic)
___not under compost per se__
sunaga t experience
shinichi osawa

windcheater

後輩
Reaction score
hey cheers budd. will check these out very soon...off on holiday tomorrow :)

budd

先輩
Reaction score
in that case, just check out the last two!

Chipi

Yancha
Reaction score
->to the same breath then, if I go to Japan, how can I find a good,deacent party of electronic music (Iツエm personally interested in electro, electroclash, techno,drumツエnツエbass...) ? Now I donツエt mean a regular disco with regular hit songs, no way...a party with some serious electronic stuff,but people with a good attitude.. :)

And anyways, how common it is to listen to electronic music in Japan? Iツエve got some friends from there, and they donツエt know anything about the scene, and that really surprised me, I have to say. And then, I could use some names of good J-djツエs..like Ken ishii ;)

Twisted

That man in the corner
Reaction score
Anything from Denki Groove is good.
Budd mentioned the Japan for Sale series which features former Denki Groove members Takkyu Ishino and Yoshinori Sunahara.

Furthermore you might like Gaball, which is a trance-unit featuring Globe frontman Tetsuya Komuro.
And do check out Joujouka, which is brilliant techno / trance from DJ Tsuyoshi.

And you might wanna dig into the past by listening to The Yellow Magic Orchestra and Logic System.

budd

先輩
Reaction score
"if I go to Japan, how can I find a good,decent party of electronic music (Im personally interested in electro, electroclash, techno,drumnbass...) ? Now I dont mean a regular disco with regular hit songs, no way...a party with some serious electronic stuff,but people with a good attitude.."
http://www.bento.com/othclub.html

"And anyways, how common it is to listen to electronic music in Japan?"
i would say it's about the same as here. my friend larry heard says he's always amazed at the crowd's reaction... but then the people probably come from miles away (just like anywhere) -- they gotta represent!

"Iツエve got some friends from there, and they donツエt know anything about the scene, and that really surprised me, I have to say."
it's just like the elec fans over there asking an average american? recommending brittany spears? eminem? 50cent?

"And then, I could use some names of good J-djツエs..like Ken ishii"
sunaga t, ryuichi sakamoto... edit: thanks to those for giving me credit! :clap:

kinjo

Sempai
Reaction score
does anyone know a japanese electronic band doing stuff thats a bit like shpongle? i know shpongle is hard to beat and are called the beatles of electronic music but i dont mean a band thats better then them but just have a style that is a bit the like... i love shpongle 😄
theyve such a relaxed electronic style with flutes and stuff and the songs are each so different and unique :) on http://www.shpongle.com you can listen to party of their songs. they even have a gallery there because theyre artists too... though they seem to be on drugs mostly when creating music and art (well it sounds a bit that way and the art looks that way) but i guess most artists are/were that way... ah whatever, i just love their music, just listening to their song "and the day turned night" makes my skin creep :)

budd

先輩
Reaction score
dou itashimashite!
also, nice link! the matador site over on the left should have some realplayer vids also available? check em out!
edit: this weekend i saw something by a dj hori on nite grooves, but i need to do more research...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom