What's new

Lost In Translation ; Japan/Bill Murray

Satori said:
But here's what I'm dying to know: What did the director say to Bill Murray's character? Since I don't know Japanese, I missed a lot in that scene!! His assistant kept translating it as "more intensity," but I know there was a lot more to it than that. What did he say to him?? (Inquiring minds want to know!)
As far as i've understood he was telling him how to pose, there's no time to lose, and giving him advice
but globally it was "put it in more intensity" ^^

dreamer said:
As far as i've understood he was telling him how to pose, there's no time to lose, and giving him advice
but globally it was "put it in more intensity" ^^

Oh, okay. Thanks! It just seemed like I missed a lot in that translation (just as he felt), and that part wasn't subtitled on the English versions.

I have yet to see it and I want to. I'm always way behind because I have no one who goes to the theater with me. Nobody wants a few hours away from their kids, they live too far away, or they just don't like movies... :rolleyes:

So, I will see this once it comes on HBO/Cinemax/whatever. Like always.

with the r/l thing, I saw the movie with some one who doesn't know much about japan and they didn't get it at all. I was laughing and they were just sitting there with a blank look on their face :D that just made me laugh more

Suzu, i know what u mean. Same happened to me. I didnt get the r/l thing. It was kind of confusing, especially the part when bill murray is in the hotel room with the japanese woman. So im sure you would have laugh at me too because i was in a blank look too! :p

I will have to watch it again.. 😲

Satori said:
Oh, okay. Thanks! It just seemed like I missed a lot in that translation (just as he felt), and that part wasn't subtitled on the English versions.
It wasn't subtitled in the french verstion as well ^^

the movie was gold, pure gold...although i found it hard to tell if scarlett johanson and bill murray's relationship was just friendship or a bit of love....

that part really baffeled me, but I think that it was just friendship. but hey, what do I know?

As An Old Married Guy About The Same Age...

I think it was just a close friendship; more like a father daughter thing. A man of principle wouldn't be looking for a sexual thing with a girl that much younger in that type of encounter. Part of being older is letting go of the sex-thing and going for the deeper plutonic relationship.

Frank

:mad:

I know this isn't going to be very popular around here and most of my friends disagree with me, but I was very disappointed with this movie. I was really looking forward to seeing Japan in a movie and maybe I built it up too much, but I thought it was painfully slow and pointless. But my biggest disappointment was that the story didn't really have much to do with Japan. They could have done the same story in a hotel in Pittsburg.

And now everyone who saw the movie and hasn't been to Japan thinks that Japan is a boring place. I think Japan is a very interesting place and try to spead the word to others. The characters seemed to have a very "it's different so it's weird" attitude toward everything. Everything is going to suck if you approach it with a closed mind. Maybe those characters weren't there to see Japan, but I don't think Joe Average Film-goer who's never been to Japan is going to take that into account.

I know it's just a movie, but movies do shape people's perceptions of things. I wasn't offended by the movie, there was just nothing about it that I enjoyed. However, I appreciate that a lot of people saw something in it that they really liked, and that has value.

You may now proceed to tear me apart.....

Hum...the movie's not meant to show exactly what japan looks like.
The aim of the movie was to show 2 western people lost into an eastern country.
S. coppola said herself that she was trying to represent what she was feeling back then and i think she successfuly gave us her personnal experience.

OK, I just got it off the internet and watched it...

And I give it 3 stars out of 4. In retrospect, I'd give it more if I'd seen it before I came to Japan. Still a good film. Bill Murry is awesome. On a side note, did anyone else love the "Suntory Times" part? That part had me rolling on the ground in laughter.

:D :D :D

Brooker: We're a friendly lot here... so there's nothing to worry about!

Check a little earlier in this thread, as we had some discussion on that very subject... I loved the movie, but I definitely agree that the movie's plot wasn't reliant on the film being in Japan. However, I was thrilled that the film *was* set in Japan, and the setting just convinced me more that I'd like to visit that country someday...

But here's an interesting exercise, as it seems like some fans of Japanese culture may have entered this film with some pre-conceived notions: How would you have portrayed Japan differently in the film? What was it about her portrayal that disappointed you?

My argument from above was that you can't enjoy the film if you try to put yourself, a fan of Japan, into the place of the characters... these aren't devotees of J-Pop culture we're dealing with here. The Scarlett character would be the "expert" of the two, and that's only because it looks like she's been in Tokyo once or twice... Bill Murray's character never had any interest in Japan, but he certainly seemed to be picking up things that he enjoyed, even telling his wife at one point that they should start eating more Japanese cuisine at home.

But that's a good question, I think: What about Japan do you feel was underrepresented? How could Sofia Coppola have used Japan as a setting that would have pleased you more?

Nice to meet you, by the way...

🙂

You raise some good questions Stevie. I don't think my objection was so much to the portrayal of Japan, but to the unenthusiastic response by the characters in the story. And those characters are entitled to any response they want, but I was disappointed that Japan wasn't portrayed as being the awe-inspiring place that it was for me - but I'll live. And, you're right, as a Japan-devotee I wanted the story to be more about Japan and I really didn't care about the story of the characters at all. So, yes, I admit, I did have a bias going into the film. But the story really didn't hold my interest no matter where it would have taken place.

Oh, nice to meet you too.

I'll agree with Brooker on that; I did find the main character's response to Japan annoying. But like its been pointed out, it's not really a movie about Japan, eh? Still, here's a question:

Which did you like better, Lost in Trans. or The Last Sam.?

Which had more cliches?

I really liked "The Last Samurai"! It had a lot more to do with Japan, but not just that, the story was interesting regardless of the location.

The subtle story telling techniques of "Lost in Translation" were similar to the techniques used in the movie "Pi" which I also didn't like because it was too slow to hold my interest.

I'm not an action movie fan, but I need a little more "action" than those movies offered to keep me interested.

I loved LIT and it made me want to go to Japan even more. I'd post a longer review, but I pretty mch agree with what other people posted here. ;)

I thought the movie was ok, but completely lacked in depth. Murray did the character that suits him best, also seen in for instance The cradle will rock or even Groundhog day, but Johansson her character was so undeveloped. She studied philosophy apparantly but where does that reflect itself in the movie? also the depiction of japan itself is completely lacking. ok we all laughed with the stereotypes, and yeah americans could probably use a more diverse menu, but what about the rich culture and mythology that makes japan into the most beautiful country in the world? i understand that the main focus was the relationship between the two protagonists, but why all this occurs in a Japanese setting per se, I can't say...but apart from all this, the movie does indeed have it's merit, it's just that the scripting could have used a lot more work and maybe it could have been a lot better still if it were made by someone else than "the daughter of"...just my two cents, feel free to disagree :)

I know this post is a little bit late, but...

the director tells him that the santorini whiskey is the best and very expensive. so he should act like he's meeting old friends and wants to sell it to them.
i don't know how to interpret it but this scene is supposed to tell the non-japanese speaker that japanese is such a long language. i think sofia coppola included some gags only for japanese-speakers. because when bob goes to the talk-show and the host says in japanese "you look like an idiot but, of course, i'm very happy to have you here!" 😊

hehe.. since this wound has been opened again ... i'll say i was alittle dissapointed in the movie as the silent moments or romantic-looking-out-the-window moments got drawn out too much..

some of the quotes are golden though and at times i was laughing my *** off..

"short and sweet, very japanese. I like that"

i think japanese girls are short and sweet too! 🌹 me and Bill are like, totally the same!

It's ba-ack.

This was one of the first threads I ever posted on, and now it's back. :mad: Wow, look at me now. ✌️

Back
Top Bottom