What's new

Lost in Translation?

jEsteR_bOy

後輩
14 Dec 2005
Should Lost in Translation be considered fully American or part Japanese movie? I mean, it was filmed in Japan, with some Japanese characters, and some of the crew were Japanese.

Its an American movie. But I thought it was really cool that they had a scene on Mathew's Best Hit TV, I used to love that show!

If you liked that one, there is a really good German movie about two middle age Germans who go to Japan to stay at a Zen temple. It was a kind of comedy similar to Lost in Translation and I laughed my *** off at it. The Japanese title was Mon Zen, I know there is an English version available but I'm not sure what the title is.

I love Lost in Translation even though it makes me sick. I hate people who have the chance to go to Japan (or any country really) but don't realize what a gift they've been given. Whereas I'm stuck here in middle America wishing, dreaming and hoping to someday go to Japan and I know there's a lot of people like the ones in the movie who are there RIGHT THIS SECOND but all they can think is, "I wanna go home!" Ugh.

its some fully american mess and there's probably about three other threads on it in these forums if wanting other opinions on it
because i think some of the members who would have posted in this thread are all talked out about it
they may post or may not
peace and good luck searching

I hate bumping older threads, so I'll just comment here--- First, I'll say that it would be really quite difficult to put Bill Murray + Scarlet Johansen in a light commedy and have it be completely horrible--- I don't think it's any shock that it did well.

I do think that people like those whom write at lostinracism.org are a bit daft--- I mean, do Asian New Yorkers really need to come to the defence of Japan?

It's a movie, and some parts can seem racist, because people aren't perfect by any means--- the movie wouldn't even be the same movie if both the characters treated each new experience as if it were their personal pleasure to endure it... that's just the way it goes---

The best part of the movie, as mentioned, is the part w/ Mathews Best Hit TV...

That german movie which you mentioned is called "Enlightenment Guaranteed" in English, and is a very good movie as well. It has its slow parts, but overall was fascinating to watch and funny at times. Good stuff.

i just didn't think it was fair that they didn't bother to translate (subtitle) what the Japanese people were saying

It is an American movie, with an American director, Sofia Copolla. She appearantly wanted to make a film as a tribute to Japan and Japanese culture since she lived there once..

I actually liked the film, and I loved Bill Murray's character.

yah he is always funny
caddyshack is a classic loved the gopher dance at the ending
i suppose i agreed with the elemental truth of the story
washed up old fart gets to play footsy with someone else's young hot wife only cause they both speak english
thanks for the pov

budd said:
i just didn't think it was fair that they didn't bother to translate (subtitle) what the Japanese people were saying
I'm not certain, but I think Coppola did that in order for people to be as equally confused as say the protagonist would be. I think it helps to describe a sense of isolation they have without the actors having to un-naturally give some sort of soliloquy to state that sort of thing.

Lost in Translation is a great movie. Well, at least I think so. Now if I could just get my DVD back... :p

tbh I was quite disappointed in Lost in Translation. I think it was because I fell into the hype surrounding it by critics and didn't meet my expectations (same thing happened with Coffee and Cigarettes lately lol).

One thing I don't question is the actress (Scarlett Johansson I think) is stunning.

i think her chin is too long (please no double entedres i am being serious -- kind of), but if she hit on me at a party, i would probably date her for a few weeks at least

i wouldn't call "lip my stockings" a tribute, but its only my opinion
its not like korea or japanese movies and tv shows don't do the same thing also so oh well
but i remember the scene on the train with the man looking at the book
right then and there it says (to me) that she came over to Japan and judged the country according to her (lax? dunno donnocare) judeo-christian beliefs
i always have to bump heads here with people thumping around calling Japan a pagan country and what not so the whole scene just smelt like it

It's an American movie that takes place in Japan.

Is Braveheart a Scottish movie?:eek:

Brooker said:
It's an American movie that takes place in Japan.
Is Braveheart a Scottish movie?:eek:
i know the people in braveheart were scottsmen, but was it filmed in scottland?

Back
Top Bottom