What's new

Japanese Trend Sites?

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Guest J. Grabano asked:

Do you know any cool Japanese trends site, preferably in English?

Thanks,

It depends on which trends you are refering to (music, fashion, underground...). You will be able to find a lot of suitable pages in our directory. :)

Guest J. Grabano replied:

The works...Japanese fashion, music, film, etc.

Directory search

Dear J. Grabano,

I just went to our directory and made an advanced search for trends in japan. It resulted in 7 pages found, many of them might be very useful to you. Then I went on to our new (and more precise)
alpha search and did the same, with one search result, a web site called "Trends in Japan".

I would also like to add that there is a subcategory entirely devoted to fashion and trends.

Thank you very much for your visit.

Hi Nahoko, nice to meet you!

I think Trends in Japan is a pretty good site about contemporary developments in Japan. But I have to admit, that I don't know many sites concerning this issue, although I would like to know more sites too. So, if anyone knows a great site, let us know :)

Thx,
Alex.

P.S. A year or two ago I thought about setting up a colourful homepage concerning trends in Japan because once (on a Sunday afternoon) I have done a photo series (called "Tokyo Colours) in Shibuya with 12 pictures of pied Japanese Elvis-Presley-doubles, etc - but unfortunately never had time for it :(

Hold on, although it seems a bit commercial, J-Streetstyle has some nice galleries too (found through the advanced search form)

Cheers,
Alex

Originally posted by halloalex
A year or two ago I thought about setting up a colourful homepage concerning trends in Japan, because once (on a sunday afternoon) I have done a photo series (called "Tokyo Colours) in Shibuya with 12 pictures of pied Japanese Elvis-Presley-doubles, etc - but unfortunately never had time for it :-(

We'll always offer you a platform to show your pics! ;)

We plan to set up a photo gallery where visitors may upload their J-related pics. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hey Thomas!

Well, I think, it's a great idea to offer the users the possibility to upload their own Japan-pictures. Because I would definitely like to use it. But I am not sure, if there are many other users, who have their pictures already scanned - since I figured out, how long it takes to scan photos a few weeks ago. So better wait a while till more users come up with such an idea. However, whenever you need my pictures or I may upload them anywhere, just drop me a line. Be sure, I'll be the first. Or there is anyone out there, who believes that he could be faster??? :)

Yours,
Alex.

You're lucky, Alex, I am so bored, I'll start to install the gallery right today! j/k :)

Btw, there's a fantastic new gallery script (which I happened to port over to English, hehe):

=> http://www.4homepages.de

But seriously, I think it's a good idea, adds interactivity to a web site. People just love to watch personal pics.

I hope I can accomplish that today. Glad you liked my screenshots! ;)

Thanks for inviting me to the forum, Thomas. I think the trending page is a great idea. Especially to allow other people to post pictures. I am looking forward to what you will come up with.

Some other sites that are worth watching. Many show trendy youths or fashion:

My own site has a daily updated page with shots of trendy youths:
http://ikjeld.com/street/lastmth.html

A monthly updated site with shots of young Japanese (in Japanese!):
http://galsoops.com/snap/index.html

Japanese street fashion:
http://www.j-streetstyle.com/

A site on Fashion in Japan:
http://www.fashioninjapan.com/

Great trendy e-zine:
http://www.shift.jp.org/

ENJOY!

Hi Kjeld,

welcome to the board, it's a pleasure to have you here!
:)

Thanks for the update on J-trendy web sites.

I was wondering why the big fascination

with Japan and anything Japanese? What about China, Singapore, Malaysia and all the other asian cultures?

Japanese pop culture is in at the moment: Jpop, sushi and anime everywhere, it even influences surrounding Asian countries more than some are willing to admit (Korea). Perhaps it's more than just a trend...
;)

Btw, there are many web sites catering to other Asian niches (oh, chinareference.com is not related to our site, lol).

I always thought that fashion....

was started in Paris or is that old thinking. By the way, I just glanced at a few photos of the fashions...aren't there any fat Japanese?...not counting sumo wrestlers.

While Paris and Milano are capitals of fashion (at least in regard to "haute couture"), there are a lot of other places that can be considered as trend-setting, take London or Tokyo for instance.

Fat Japanese? Well, first of all, fashion models are perhaps not that representative, as they still have a propensity to "twiggy-ism", hehe. Furthermore, Japanese eating habits do change. I have no statistics, but the number of fat people and malnutritional diseases is on the rise. Take a look at the following page

=> http://dandoweb.com/e/fat.html

Land of the Amazons: The Japantoday forum post with the title, "Growth hormones". ...Pretty much sums it all up.

Hormons or not, my wife enjoys to tower over her bosses.
:D

lolololol ... Japanese girls getting taller. hehehe.... somebody is forgetting another anatomacial part ... hehe

A basic change in diet has occured in Japan. Baby weights also increase quicker now than in the past. I would acount much of this to a wider spread intake of milk and meat products and the horrid convience syndrome (7/11, AM - PM, Lawsons and such).

Also, another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the almost total decrease of [seiza] sitting on the knees like a samurai. Couches and sofa's have basically replaced the [zabuton] square thin cushion. I've seen a growing number of girls with straighter and longer legs. (no complaints here! -- men eh!)

And a final mention, the almost non-existance of kimono owning young ladies. I wonder if looser fitting shirts don't help in some aspects ??

Obesity, in folks other than Sumo wrestlers is a very limited part of the population. Although, I know a few who probably are putting their health at risk. Listening to many friends and acquaitances talk, I imagine this low count of heavy set folks is probably due to the fact that food serving portions are almost 1/3 of what you would be served in the States. A student just came back from Italy and she complained about the servings size being way too much. In her opinion, she mentioned that that serving would easily satisfy 3 or 4 adults.

just read the japantoday site. lololol ... I'm gonna stay away from the comments about the Americans. My sister would kill me ... lolololo

Japanese Trend Site 2

Hey guys!!
Check out this site called "Japanese Trend Watch", which I found by chance.

ttp://japanesetrend.client.jp/

It basically is a blog talking about emerging trends in Japan, speciafically in auto, entertainment, fashion, gadget and sports field.
He also put up some YouTube file something relating to that topic!!
Enjoy!!☝

Back
Top Bottom