What's new

Japanese Speech

Kirakira1232

素敵な冒険始まる!
6 May 2008
Hello everyone :)

This year...I've decided to enter the National Japanese speech competition in the open beginner division. Even though this is a "beginner" competition we are encouraged to write a piece that does have an opinion.

I have not let my teacher check this yet (I'm sending it to her via email right now) but I would like some opinions from everyone here on JREF. I attempted to write this using everything I have learned so far, so forgive me if it sounds textbookish but as long as it makes sense I'll be happy. As a practice run, my teacher will be making me perform this speech in front of my class.

(The kana in brackets is the reading of the kanji which is for my benefit).

私は高校で日本語の音楽を始めて聞きました。友だちは日本から帰って来て、宇多田ひかるのCDをくれました。「さくらドロップシ」の歌が始めて聞きました。大好きでした。その時からたくさんの日本語音楽をきいて、日本語が好きなのは始めました。もっと日本語音楽を聞いて、日本語をもっと知りたいんです。その音楽が好きだけど歌の言葉が分からないんでした。言葉を知りたくて、文化を知りたくて、では日本語を勉強し始めました。今、異文化間(いぶんかかん)コミュニケーションは国際(こくさい)の社会で大切だと思います。では、私はいつも訳文(やくぶん)と通訳(つうやく)を感心しています(かんしんしています)。

韓国の女性の話はひどい経験(けいけん)の対二次世界大戦(だいにじせかいたいせん)についてを聞いた時に、異文化間コミュニケーションが大切だと思いました。通訳の人がいたけど、ぜんぶ話が通訳できてしまいませんでした。それにも拘らず、悲しみの気持ちがしました。では、この時代で第二言語(だいにげんご)は勉強できることがとても大切だと思います。

今、アジアへ世界の経済(けいざい)が移し替えています(うつしかえています)。だから、第二言語を勉強することはもっと大切になります。もっと外国の人はオーストラリアに住んでいて来て、ではオーストラリア人は他の文化が分からなければならないんだと思います。他の文化が分かることが必要だと思います。だから、今日本語を勉強することが真剣にことにします。

このスピーチを聞いていただいて、ありがとうございました。

Thank you to everyone that helps /bows.

Last edited:
第二次世界大戦 I'm sure it was a typo, but...

I don't understand your second paragraph or the last line of your first paragraph. Those need work.

オーストラリア人 は他の文化が分からなければならないんだと思います。他の文化が分かることが必要だと思います This is repetitive.

A couple of other things: I think you do not understand how to use では and even if you did, it would never be used that much. Nor is it used after a comma.

Motto is similarly overused.

On the whole, though there are a number of mistakes, the first and last paragraphs are understandable and seem like good material for a speech. A couple of times you seem to use words that are "too big" for your current level, which might make them hard to understand, so I would try to avoid that if possible.

Hmm yeah I think I may need to work on the second paragraph a lot. I'm trying to prevent my speech becoming into something descriptive. I'll try to do something to mix things up a little bit.

As for the second paragraph I'm trying to describe an experience I had listening to a Korean woman describe her experiences during World War 2 (第二次世界大戦). I was trying to say that even though there was a translator present not everything could be translated completely. So learning a second language is important. In my mind I thought that if -te shimaimashita meant an action is "completed" then conversely the negative would mean "not completed".

For the last sentence of the first paragraph I'm trying to say that "I've always had an interest in Translation and Interpretation. My first thought was to use "ga suki" but I found kanshinsuru had meant "to have an interest in, concern for" so I thought it might fit better.

I'm not really sure how to simplify some of the more complex nouns....

Thanks for the fast critique.

As for the second paragraph I'm trying to describe an experience I had listening to a Korean woman describe her experiences during during World War 2 (第二次世界大戦). I was trying to say that even though there was a translator present not everything could be translated completely. So learning a second language is important. In my mind I thought that if -te shimaimashita meant an action is "completed" then conversely the negative would mean "not completed".
-te shimau does mean completion but it emphasize the sense of completion and its result, and depending on the context it also implies speaker's feeling such as regret/disappointment/surprise (often negative ones).
I don't think te shimau fits into the sentence in question, as what you intend to write is a simple statement of the fact (that you could not understand).

For the last sentence of the first paragraph I'm trying to say that "I've always had an interest in Translation and Interpretation. My first thought was to use "ga suki" but I found kanshinsuru had meant "to have an interest in, concern for" so I thought it might fit better.

Kanshin suru does not mean to have an interest, but to be impressed.
Also there are two different "kanshin":
感心する to be impressed
関心を持つ、関心がある to have an interest

Some errors I've noticed:
私は高校で日本語の音楽を初めて聞きました。友だちが日本から帰って来て、宇多田ひかるのCDをくれました 。「さくらドロップ【シ】」の歌を初めて聞きました。大好きでした。その時からたくさんの日本 語音楽をきいて、 日本語が好きになり(始め)ました。もっと日本語音楽 を聞いて、日本語をもっと知りたいんです。その音楽が 好き だけど歌の言葉が分かりませんでした。言葉を知りたくて、文化を知りたくて、【で は】日本語を勉強し始めました 。今、異文化間(いぶんかかん)コミュニケーションは国際(こくさい)【の】社会で大切だと思いま す。【では、】私 はいつも翻訳(ほんやく)と通訳(つうやく)に関心があります。

【韓国の女性の話はひどい経験(けいけん)の対二次世 界大戦(だいにじせかいたいせん)】第二次世界大戦での韓国の女性のひどい経験について【を】聞いた時に 、異文化間コミュニケーションが大切だと思いました。通訳の人がいたけど、ぜ んぶの話を通訳できて【しま】いませ んでした。それにも拘らず、悲しみの気持ちがしました 。【では、】今の時代【で】第二言語(だいにげんご)を勉強で きることはとても大切だと思います。

今、【アジアへ】世界の経済(けいざい)の中心はアジアに移行しつつあります(うつしかえています)。だから、第二言語を勉強 す ることはもっと大切になります。より多くの外国の人がオーストラリアに住むようになって来ているので、【では】オーストラリア人は 他の文化を
理解しなければならない【んだ】と思います。他の文化を理解することが必要だと思います。だから、今日 本語を真剣に勉強すること【が真剣にこと】にします。

このスピーチを聞いていただいて、ありがとうございました。

Note:
Red parts are the correction I suggest. (There can be other words/expression, so my suggestion is not the only possibility. ;) )
【】 means the words to be deleted.
Many では in your speech does not make sense, I'm afraid - if you mean "so" "therefore", then it is not では but だから.
I made only small corrections and did not make big changes because it would change your style of speech, so I keep the original words/sentences as far as they make sense.

Wow, undrentide. Thanks! I hope this wasnt too much trouble for you guys I'm really appreciative :)

I was very uncertain with te shimau....so yeah I guess I should say I just didn't understand.

Yeah I did mean "And so" when I used "de wa" ><;; I have a long way to go with my Japanese...

皆さん、ありがとうございました。

Back
Top Bottom