What's new

Tijana

Registered
28 Nov 2017
Hey guys!

I have been training aikido for quite some time now and this month I finally got my sensei to upgrade our website. I will be an administrator and I will be responsible pretty much for anything on the web page from context too gallery. However, one thing caught my eye here and that is the kanji which is conected to the name of our dojo and the kanji design of it. As far as I am familiar the dojo name should be used for it if I am wrong please correct me.
Anyway, a name for my dojo and club is Aikido club Karadjordje (dj is read as j in (:じょう)). This the kanji that is on our website :
Belgrade - Google Search

Sorry for the link it won't open it on its own.
Name Karadjordje is the name of famous Serbian hero and leader of revolution Karadjordje so dojo was named after him. Can anyone give me the translation of the given kanji in the link or give me at least suggestion where to look for it. If its wrong I would like to give me suggestions for other possible designs.
Thank you all in advance.

ありがとうございます

All best,
Tijana.

The kanji on the graphic you linked to is "誠" (makoto - truth or sincerity).
There are no kanji for Karadjordje in Japanese. It would be rendered phonetically using katakana, something like カラジョジェ, as almost all foreign names are. Thus, your dōjō's name would normally be rendered as 合気道クラブカラジョジェ
("Aikidō Club Karadjordje").
The kanji 誠 isn't an inappropriate kanji to use as a symbolic reference for your dōjō. It reminds me of the Shinsengumi (Shinsengumi - Wikipedia

Thank you so much. I only know how to read hiragana and katakana and very few kanjis.
I guess that its okay then. Moto of our dojo is "truth, path, love". I guess that whoever done design back in the days at least got one spot on. Thank you so much for your reply and for the Shinsengumi article it is rather interesting.
Thank you so much one more time!

In case you ever find yourself needing to express the name Karađorđe in Japanese, the established way to do it using katakana is as follows:

カラジョルジェ

(Note that two of these characters are smaller in size than the others.)

Some people of note around the world who lived several centuries ago MAY have once had a kanji version of their name in use in Japan, but these names have all been replaced with katakana today, and it tends to be difficult to find the kanji renderings which were once in use. The Chinese still use kanji (hanzi) for name renderings, but those versions are almost always different from the Japanese versions, due to character pronunciation differences.

If there once was a Japanese kanji rendering of Karađorđe, and you were somehow able to find it, please note that it would consist of at least five characters, and probably more. So it would be unwieldy to use in the dojo logo design.

There is no obligation to use only the dojo name in the kanji that appear on the dojo logo, so there is nothing wrong with what you have now.

When I was in college I belonged to a Wado-ryu circle called 誠心会 (Seishinkai, aww I'm getting all nostalgic now), The character used for "Sei" is the same as the one in your logo, and is not uncommon for karate clubs to use, either as part of their name or as a standalone thing.

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the mark you have now, and if "truth" is a big part of your club's motto, I would leave it as it is, and keep the club's name legible for your members. Putting it in katakana wouldn't serve any purpose other than to make the name look exotic

Back
Top Bottom