What's new

Japanese Journey - Blog

jborchardt

Registered
8 Feb 2016
I will move to Japan with my Japanese then wife in July. That's why I started a blog named Japanese Journey in Januar. You can take a look at it here.
I use this blog for two purposes:
  1. Keep me on track while learning Japanese. Every week I challenge myself to make a certain progress, like "learn x new kanji and finish chapter y of 'Genki'". To get an Idea, click here.
  2. Write about anything interesting I experience related to Japan. This includes culture, travel and tools for learning the language.
Here are some examples of the second part:
At the moment I'm releasing one new article and one new challenge every week and am planning to keep this frequency up or even increase it a bit.

Please feel invited to check it out, any feedback is always welcome.

Wow, nice blog! Keep writing, I found it very interesting.

Two questions, though: About the love hotels, don't you have it in Germany? I didn't find it that strange since I've already seen a lot of them here in Brasil (Though they are not as techno as the Japanese ones, I guess).

And about the Anki, I'm thinking about using it, but I can't help this feeling that flashcards are just too much of an artificial way of learning an idiom... I mean, isn't it better to remember the Kanji by actually reading them in real Japanese texts? Do the flashcards really work?

Hi _Ruuka_,
About the love hotels, don't you have it in Germany? I didn't find it that strange since I've already seen a lot of them here in Brasil (Though they are not as techno as the Japanese ones, I guess).
Nope, don't have them. At least none that I know of.

And about the Anki, I'm thinking about using it, but I can't help this feeling that flashcards are just too much of an artificial way of learning an idiom... I mean, isn't it better to remember the Kanji by actually reading them in real Japanese texts? Do the flashcards really work?
For me, flashcards and Anki are one part of my learning process. When I learn vocabulary or kanji, I'm building stories in my head so that I can remember them easily. Anki then helps me to keep these stories in my head and check if it they need to be altered.
Once I remember a word or kanji it becomes more easy to use when speaking or writing. Usually I need some time to recall things in the beginning but that's getting better of course.
Furthermore, the deck I'm using for vocabulary at the moment has many voice clips attached, which help a lot when it comes to pronunciation and identifying words when listening to someone.
Of course flashcards alone do not make a fluent speaker. I find myself often in the situation of asking someone "what does this mean" and then realizing that I have asked this question before but just didn't keep the answer. So that's where it's a huge help for me.
On the other hand, language is of course use it or lose it. This is what apps like HelloTalk or other tandem learning partnerships (or Japanese partners) are really helpful for.

Very nice infographic!

PS: I should read before posting, lol.

Back
Top Bottom