What's new

Japan Photos 2024

The first one I've done before, but this time got better exposure/clarity on the interior. (also for privacy, spent a couple minutes erasing some details on the car plate)

小西.JPG

And just another place along the same street. No signage, not sure what kind of shop it is.

storefront.JPG

I'm not an architect, but those old places, as exemplified in those first three pics, above, pretty clearly adhere to something that I'd informally call "the principle of 3-1/2."

In the first two pics, from left to right, there's the door (which is a certain width, then some windows, and then the rightmost section is solid. Note that the windows are in two sections (and each of those sections has two parts). The key point is that the width of the door section, is the same width as each of the window sections--making three sections--and then the final, solid part is a half--a half width of one of those sections.

This structural thing carries on thru the second floor, too. The third pic is the same thing but reversed--the door section to the right, then two window sections, then solid on the left. And if I'd included the second floor, I'm sure that would have been similarly the same as the first two pics.

Formulaic building and construction techniques... (maybe the origins of the Levittown style of planning!?!)

Once upon a time (decades ago) I met in passing a fellow by the name of Azby Brown, who was at the time working at a local technical university (KIT). He's long since moved on (kanto) but is apparently quite an authority on Japanese architecture.

This is not framed at all well, just a quick phone shot. But believe it or not, this was at an ancient bicycle shop right down in the center of town. Talked briefly with an old guy there, he didn't know how long the shop had been there, "maybe 100 years". I'll try to stop by there sometime with the big camera to do it better, but until then:

tools.JPG

I've been cycling, trying to stick with it. This is this morning's turnaround point, over by the port. In the distance is 白山/hakusan, the white mountain (2700m): (and this is not the port, or this is just for smaller fishing boats. The actual port, for big ships, is a few hundred meters to the left of this, which is taken from here)

view.JPG

Quick Solo box. Located in a shopping and dining area, it's a short term rental for when you need some quiet and solitude. Good for making evening conference calls. For quickies of another sort you'd have to block out the window somehow I suppose.

IMG_0854.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom