What's new

Japan Photos 2024

@thomas Yes, lichen--I misspoke.

These two are from an area in the adjoining town, which borders really close to us (野々市市本町). It's on what was once an old road thru this part of the country.
A.JPG

B.JPG

And a couple oddballs.
C.JPG

D.JPG

Splendid, @johnnyG! Can I add them to our article on Eiheiji?

Eiheiji Temple

Temple  Eiheiji Temple

Eihei-ji (永平寺), the "Temple of Eternal Peace", officially known as Daihonzan Eihei-ji (大本山永平寺), is located in Fukui Prefecture, about 15 km east of Fukui City. It is one of the two main temples (大本山 daihonzan) of the Sōtō School (曹洞宗 Sōtō-shū) of Zen Buddhism. The other head temple is Sōji-ji...

How did you shoot the ceiling? Free-hand, tripod or lying on the floor?

Can I add them to our article on the Eiheiji?
If you think any of them are good enough, sure. You're welcome to them. Ceiling was just handheld. Lying on the floor would've worked but there were still some people milling around in that hall. Both of those are with my widest, 15mm equiv, f4.5, 1/70 sec, ISO 12800.

It was nice, and in spite of quite a few people being around (even for a weekday), I managed to get some shots without anyone in them.

But it would've been good to have had a big enough day bag, a small backpack(?), to carry my shoes in, instead of the plastic bag they supplied--so carrying that bag occupied one hand throughout. Other hand was either on a railing or keeping the camera from swinging around.

I wasn't expecting so many steps! (my hip wasn't happy about that)

Out for a ride earlier, at my turnaround point: (くじらのくも, and that's a cherry tree)

skywards.JPG

And these from the same jinja that I pass going out and back. I talked to someone there last time and they said they do flowers like this from the 1st to 10th of every month, so since it's the 1st I stopped to look.

les fleurs.JPG

My biggest issue has been resizing iPhone photos for the forum. The raw shots range between 2-6MB (4032x3024px at a resolution of 72 px/inch), and resizing them to a reasonable size in Photoshop results in terrible quality loss. Any ideas?

resizing iPhone photos
As a mac user...

iPhone photos go automatically to the Photos app on my laptop (via iCloud, tho sometimes there is an annoying delay before that happens :mad: ). Then from within that app I drag anything I want to post (resize) to the desktop, and double-clicking on them there will open them with another mac-native app called Preview. In Preview go to Tools > Adjust Size and choose a height or width.

I have it set so the size is in pixels. For square format, I think I usually choose 6-700 pixels, since that will also define vertical. For something in landscape mode I usually choose the width--maybe 900 pixels max. That depends a little on the aspect ratio--3x5 is widest with the least height, so 900 width is okay, screen wise; for a 4x5 ratio, more nearly square, maybe 800 max width, even 750.

Similar with the big camera. SD card from that goes into the card reader slot on the side of the laptop, those are imported to the Photos app, and then for posting resized the same as above.

As pervasive as the recommendation is to shoot raw, I don't. (Yeah, two demerits and sit in the corner for 10 minutes.) I also have yet to use Lightroom. All my editing is in the Photos app. That's mostly good enough, but I do know that one thing I'd like to use (or at least explore) is using masks, at least initially to adjust exposure in one part of a picture. Maybe I should spring for LR one of these days...?

My biggest issue has been resizing iPhone photos for the forum. The raw shots range between 2-6MB (4032x3024px at a resolution of 72 px/inch), and resizing them to a reasonable size in Photoshop results in terrible quality loss. Any ideas?
I'm assuming you are resizing smaller, correct?

Maybe give GIMP a try. I have had great luck with photo resizing with it.

Lightroom works well too though if you just want to mess with one image at a time GIMP might be better, and it's free.

Mount Fuji, as seen from the Tamagawa today (iPhone "tele" resized with Lightroom, not Photoshop).
Being Western and Central Japan centric, every time I hear Tamagawa, I think of this place in Yamaguchi Prefecture. ;) Sadly, it has been merged with Hagi , which seems strange, as it's not exactly next door.

Being Western and Central Japan centric, every time I hear Tamagawa, I think of this place in Yamaguchi Prefecture. ;) Sadly, it has been merged with Hagi , which seems strange, as it's not exactly next door.

To us Kantocentrists, there's only THE TAMA, the one and mighty. :LOL:

It seems, there are several homonomous rivers and streams (玉川, 多摩川, 田万川).

Back
Top Bottom