What's new

Japan Photos 2020

I always loved good night shots. When I was stationed in Japan , I bought a Yashica camera that took perfect night pictures. It was not that expensive , but the pictures always came out perfect.

I always loved good night shots. When I was stationed in Japan , I bought a Yashica camera that took perfect night pictures. It was not that expensive , but the pictures always came out perfect.

Did you scan some of your pictures from Japan? I would love to see some of them! :)

I just deleted 14000 political pictures from my computer now that the election is over. My 8 hour days on Facebook fighting over the election have come to an end. I am under threats of death from my wife if I don't start down loading all my slides stored in the cellar. I will make it a point to start with the Japanese slides.

I've tried copying some old slides using a camera with a macro lens. Camera on a short tripod pointing down at the slide, which is placed on a cell phone screen set to white (and bright). Use a thin section from a conbini bag between the phone and the slide to diffuse the light from the phone, to avoid getting any grid/pixels/moire.

The results can be great, and you end up with a 'scan' that is many times better than most scanners (but you also end up with huge files, and some scanners do have software that supposedly cleans up some 'noise' in old pics/slides). ((And I think a good cell phone can copy slides the same way, but I haven't worked out or googled the details on that.))

It depends on your eventual use, and goals. Most snapshot-like pics would be fine using a scanner, then posted on the web. Likely plenty of resolution, etc (tho I've seen some such copies with weird artifacts). For pics that are your favs, or that you want to preserve better (or work on a little), using another camera is one way to go.

Here are a couple of camera-copied slides (korea, '72), shrunk in size for posting here. In the one with the sky, the slide obviously needs some cleaning. The shoe shop slide had its emulsion torn up lower right, probably something I did, since I was processing my own slides at the time.
woman-sky.jpg

tunnel.jpg

shoe shop.jpg

They are really amazing, @johnnyG! Better than any of my iPhone 6 HDR shots. Looking forward to more vintage photos, also from @Uncle Frank. :)

Here's another iPhone stitch with photos taken this afternoon. Can anyone tell what this location used to be?

former-tsukiji-market-2.jpg

Here's one of the train bridges over the Han River. At the time it was no problem opening the door and standing on the end of the last carriage.
bridge landscape.jpg

Probably playing some version of marbles?
playing marbles.jpg

You'd think, "he's going for the ice cream," but I think it's actually two cigarettes on his right hand, and the pack in his left. I'm not sure why...
ice cream and cigarettes.jpg

Last, here's a street vendor, a plumber from the looks of it.
plumbing cart.jpg

Those carts were really common.

A few shots from a bicycle loop around Miura Peninsula today, nothing artistic.

A restaurant in Misaki
full

Frutti di mare (the longish red fish is a やがら, also called 赤やがら, a Red Cornetfish.
full

Toroman and Antoroman at Misaki fish market
full

Hayama Beach
full

A few shots from a bicycle loop around Miura Peninsula today, nothing artistic.

A restaurant in Misaki
full

Frutti di mare (the longish red fish is a やがら, also called 赤やがら, a Red Cornetfish.
full

Toroman and Antoroman at Misaki fish market
full

Hayama Beach
full
Beautiful and natural pictures. Thanks for posting.

It's already February and we haven't started our photo thread yet! 😲

I'm just posting two alibi pictures taken in January, I have it on good authority that @イェンス has more goodies. 😉

View attachment 30849
This is simply amazing: electric spaghetti around Futakotamagawa.

View attachment 30850
Taken on a Sunday morning commute: an empty Sumiyoshi Shotengai.
:)

So beautiful. my last visit in Japan was already in 2010. Trained directly to Wakkanai, Hokkaido. City by city, town by town, stayed in Hokkaido for 7 days. Then, headed south to main island. Met my friend in Tokyo and returned to Canada. Thought I can visit again soon. Suddenly, it's already 10 years.

haha

Back
Top Bottom