What's new

Japan faces shortage of information-technology workers

I know a guy from Singapore living in Tokyo. He's an IT expert, married to a Japanese, speaks fine nihongo and hasn't been able to procure a job in months. So I'm not sure if they just don't hire foreigners or if the entire sector suffers from stagnation.

:confused:

Last edited:
Originally posted by thomas
My wife just told me that she met a guy from Singapore living in Tokyo. He's an IT expert, married to a Japanese, speaks fine nihongo and hasn't been able to procure a job in months. So I'm not sure if they just don't hire foreigners or if the entire sector suffers from stagnation.

:confused:

Based on that article, I'm guessing companies are just deciding to not bother hiring the people they need, to save money.

Originally posted by Erik
Based on that article, I'm guessing companies are just deciding to not bother hiring the people they need, to save money.

I agree. My brother-in-law (my god, I've got a Japanese brother-in-law.... that's weird), works in IT - it seems a lot of companies are trying to save money by cutting their staff (rather than other more long-term means).

Short-termism could be a problem.

"IT expert" can mean a lot of things. If you are an expert in a technology that someone needs that's the trick. Also it's possible to be too senior. Many times people want cheap, competent I.T. people not experts.

I work in IT so to speak, that is I work with computers, as a Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer/Admin with some Oracle DBA work and the market for UNIX/Linux/Oracle is quite strong in Japan.

One thing is to have your name around the industry and you can get work based on your reputation. If you are going to Japan cold, than it might be more difficult.

If you do Windows then you might have a problem there is currently a glut of MS/Windows people so....

Back
Top Bottom