What's new

I need the Romaji for the sentences below

TurkeySloth

後輩
8 Jul 2008
Thanks for all the translations you've provided me thus far.

I have a jidaigeki-based character named Koyama Ryuu, who always introduces herself in polite Japanese before correcting herself and doing so in English. Thus, I need the Romaji for the sentences below.

Greetings, I'm Lord Koyama. But, those close to me may call me Lady Ryuu.

Thanks for all the translations you've provided me thus far.

I have a jidaigeki-based character named Koyama Ryuu, who always introduces herself in polite Japanese before correcting herself and doing so in English. Thus, I need the Romaji for the sentences below.

Greetings, I'm Lord Koyama. But, those close to me may call me Lady Ryuu.
The editing time limit's biting me again, now.

I'd like the personal pronoun to reflect Ryuu's humble nature, please.

Who is the addressee? What is the relation between the speaker and addressee? What is the situation where it's said? The answer differs depending on many factors.

Here's the Roomaji from Google Translate with a setting-appropriate pronoun (watashi was provided) and honorific (josei was provided before her name). I added in a truncated apology as well. Does something like that work in kana or kanji?

Aisatsu wa, soregashi wa Koyama-dono desu. Shikashi, soregashi no chikaku no hitobito wa soregashi o Ryū Gozen to yobu kamo shiremasen. Su...

Google Translate is useless especially for natural conversations. Also, they don't use classical Japanese, needless to say.

Soregashi is not used by female.

Honorific titles such like "dono" are never used to the speaker themselves.

What is the situation where they meet? She meets them formally in a place for her to see guests in her castle, for example? The strangers look like commoners or high class people?

Just for confirmation, is Ryū 仮名 kemyō "the name usually used" or 諱 imina "the real official name" in your setting?

You also need to know that daimyō almost always have their official post/title, and they use it for official introduction, for example 織田上総介信長 Oda Kazusa-no-suke Nobunaga for Oda Nobunaga. Kazusa-no-suke doesn't mean that he was a real vice-lord of Kazusa province. This is a kind of symbolic title.

Incidentally, Nobunaga's kemyō is 三郎 Saburō, and his 幼名 yōmei "childhood name" was 吉法師 Kippōshi, so he used to be called as Kippōshi or Kippōshi-maru before 元服 genpuku "coming-of-age ceremony". I know your character is female, but a female lord 井伊直虎 Ii Naotora also had her kemyō 次郎法師 Jirō-hōshi.

Of course you might not need to follow the real rules thoroughly, but at least the settings should be settled strictly, I think.

All of those points are very useful. I'll be responding to them as a if I were asking questions in a post.

1. I know web translators tend to be stilted, but I felt I needed somewhere to start because none had posted here in two days
2. According to TV tropes, soregashi was "{u}sed mostly by men, usually samurai..." But, I'll change it if you say I should. Additionally, I chose it because she's the lord of Mautu Province [mɔː.tuꜜ] (all of present-day Shikoku) and thinks all provinical higher-ups ought to use masculine-sounding pronouns. Granted, she keeps the belief to herself because she knows a directive to that effect would be unenforcable.
3. Okay.
4. I imagine her profile being read by all racesand classes from different settings, so it should sound neutral-but-dignified.
5. It's her imina.
6. As mentioned in (2) above, she's the lord of Mautu, so it looks like I need that Roomaji as well.
7. I'll, probably, keep the naming system as close the historical as possible.

Well, it doesn't seem to me that two days is a long period. Forum members have their real lives, as you know.

Also, I think there are things you should do before doing something you know unhelpful. For example, you didn't give any response to nice gaijin-san's reply in your thread regarding IPA. He took his time to answer your question. It's polite to acknowledge him and tell at least if you understood it or not.

I imagine her profile being read by all races and classes from different settings, so it should sound neutral-but-dignified.
Does that mean it's her written self-introduction in media or something, not an oral conversation to people in front of her?

I totally agree that two days, genrally, won't be enough time for something like this because of real life. However, you've been responding to my other, admittedly, much less taxing topics within a day, which is great and I can't offer you enough thanks for doing. Thus, I've probably grown a bit too accustomed to the quick responses.

I just responded to nice gaijin-san's post ad apologized for the wait. I understood him perfectly but needed a bit of time to get my exact wording without making myself look dumb by having to reword thins after the edit limit.

Correct, it's not a conversation.

I see. Here's my attempt.

一言ご挨拶を申し上げる。小山宮内少輔(or 土佐守)竜と申す。尤も、近しい者からは単に竜御前と呼ばれておるが。
Hitokoto goaisatsu wo moushi ageru. Koyama Kunaisyōyū (or Toas-no-kami) Ryū to mousu. Mottomo, chikashii mono kara wa tan ni Ryū Gozan to yobarete oru ga.

Kunaisyōyū and Toas-no-kami are both Chōsokabe Motochika's official post/title, who was a famous sengoku daimyō in Shikoku. The former is a post in the imperial court, and the latter means "lord of Tosa province". You need to change it to other official post/title you think appropriate for her.

Okay. Thanks for the attempt. I'll keep monitoring this topic for other Roomaji translations as well. Incidentally, I'd put the Koyama clan on Shikoku before re-reading Ryuu's description, which mentions her skin tone as being that of an Osaka area native. Thus, I'm swpping Mautu from Shikoku to the Kii peninsula.

I've changed the last sentence so it flows slightly better. The new translation I need is below. Additionally, as before, the pronoun should exhibit humility/self-deprecation. It sould be noted that I swapped her profile to Toritoribe-san's current translation to remove my mangled Google Translate-based version.

Greetings, I'm Koyama Ryū, Lord of Mautu. However, my closest confidants may call me either Lady Koyama or Lady Ryū.

Incidentally, I'd put the Koyama clan on Shikoku before re-reading Ryuu's description, which mentions her skin tone as being that of an Osaka area native.
Well, "skin tone as being that of an Osaka area native" doesn't make sense at all to me. It doesn't have any difference from other areas of Japan. Or, it's your settings?

I've changed the last sentence so it flows slightly better. The new translation I need is below. Additionally, as before, the pronoun should exhibit humility/self-deprecation. It sould be noted that I swapped her profile to Toritoribe-san's current translation to remove my mangled Google Translate-based version.

Greetings, I'm Koyama Ryū, Lord of Mautu. However, my closest confidants may call me either Lady Koyama or Lady Ryū.
Any first person pronoun is not used in my translation. It's quite common not to use it in Japanese sentences, or rather, the first and second person pronouns tend to be avoided being used.

There is no expression equivalent to "Lady Koyama" for a female lord. It's the same as "Lord Koyama", and it's not used for the speaker themselves, as I already wrote.

Anyway, my translation is the same. Lord of Mautu can be "Mōtsu(or Mootsu)-no-kami".

Thanks.

I believe I wrote her original description thinking there's variation in native Japanese skin tone for a reason I can't remember at the moment. However, I'll either simplify it to "Japanese native" or remove it entirely when I get around to that part of her revised descritpion.

As for the au spelling, Wikipedia mentions there being two types of long o throughout the Middle Japanese period (both Early and Late), with au as [ɔː], ou as [oː], and eu as [joː] citing Yamaguchi (1997; pp. 86-87). Thus, I figured I'd preseve that distinction in my setting to give the language an archaic feel.

Indeed those euphonic changes occurred mostly in Muromachi period.

This is a bit off-topic, but I'm familier with the change "au to [ɔː]" because, unlike Kyoto dialect, i.e., standard Japanese at the time, [ɔː] changed to the long vowel "ā" in the later period in some dialects, including my hometown's.
e.g.
行かう (the classical volitional form of 行く) -->
standard 行こう (long vowel ō)
dialect 行かあ (long vowel ā)

さうな (the classical attributive form of an adjectival conjugational suffix そう) -->
standard そうな (long vowel ō)
dialect さあな (long vowel ā)

However, these changes are mainly found in inflections of conjugational words like verbs or adjectives, and it didn't occur on the dictionary form of verbs/adjectives. Thus, 買う/かう (to buy) doesn't change to こう "kō" in the present Kansai dialect or かあ "kā" in my hometown dialect, even though the past form is こうた "kōta" and かあた "kāta", respectively.

Similarly, the euphonic change didn't commonly occur in nouns (except the ones derived from verbs and adjectives, of course). Thus, it would be rare that a location name like なかうみ(中海) Nakaumi changed to なこうみ Nakōmi.

Anyway, if you want to use "mau" for the pronunciation [mɔː], you need to distinguish it from the common pronunciation of まう, which is also written as "mau" in romaji, I think.

That makes sense. Wikipedia may mention the restriction as well, but I focused on the changes, simply, happening when I thought of the province's name. Thus, I may be changing that to something else. As for the native rendering, would a combination of hentaigana do the trick? Sadly, these forums don't seem to support those characters natively because they show up as empty boxes on my screen. For example, the following box should be the final character in the table's ma column: 𛃖.

Back
Top Bottom