What's new

How to use time/days words correctly?

21 Mar 2021
Is there specific particles to use beside words related to time, like days (today yesterday tomorrow etc) or time (like morning, night etc)?

At first it seemed it could be に but I saw in words like 今日 明日 etc its used は as particle, and it seems no particles are used in some sentences

But theen I eventually learned the word 夜、and soon got to the association of 夜に駆ける、so I wonder if for moments of the day に can be used (similar to "in the morning" and "at night), but not for days?? Or do they vary according to the situation?

Also how it would be for specific days or time, like a day of the year or what exact time of the day, are there specific particles to be used, or it depends on the contexts?
Thanks

The basic rule is that に is used for "absolute" time such like 2021年, 6月, 16日, 水曜日, 8時, etc., while に is not used for "relative" time, which is decided by "now", such like 今日, 昨日, 明日, 今週, 先週, 来週, 今月, 先月, 来月, 今年, 去年 or 来年. 夜 belongs to the former ones, so に is attached to it.

However, there are many exceptions, and the particles also differ depending on the context, so it's a bit complicated, indeed.

Allow me to post links to some of our time-related articles. :)

は, including には, is used for topicalization or contrasting, so it can be used for "relative" ones.
e.g.
今日は晴れです。
It's fine today.

明日(まで)には手紙が届くでしょう。
The letter will have arrived by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom