What's new

Question How to type interpunct?

29 Jun 2018
I've been searching 中黒 into Google and copy pasting until now, but I figure there is a better way. All the alt codes I've searched so far are wrong (see below), could someone show the correct one?

Alt + 0183/250: · (too small)
Alt + 0149: • (too large)

It should look like this:・. Because of the space between the "・" and the period without a space being typed in it on its own, it is certainly a Japanese keyboard character that way.

I'm using Google Japanese Input for my keyboard, which is a typical United States layout. Typing "/" results in /.

There may be other ways, but I can get this by typing てん into the keyboard and picking that from the list. It will then default to it in subsequent uses.

A similar way to mdchachi-san's, you can also get it by typing なかぐろ.
nakaguro.jpg

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, neither of your proposals works. てん has 96 entries and なかぐろ has 12, but none of them seem to be the actual interpunct. Could you relate what IME is in use?

I'm just using whatever comes with Windows when you install the Japanese language pack. Both Windows 8 and Windows 10 work fine. There are nowhere near 96 entries for てん . Are you on a chromebook?

I type なかてん

Change your IME and see if that helps.

Like I said in the original post, I was using Google IME. I just checked on Microsoft IME, and ・ works as なかぐろ、なかてん、/, etc., there. Unfortunately it seems I can solve the problem by going back to Microsoft then (would have preferred alt codes). I can't remember the exact details of why I switched away, but Microsoft was clunkier in some way. Thanks anyway everyone; I guess I'll just keep two input methods installed.

Typing "/" results in /.

I installed Google IME to check it out. It worked fine for me from the start.

I am therefore not sure what is wrong on your system, but have a suggestion for eliminating the appearance of the forward slash.

Right-click on the text icon just to the left of the main Google IME icon in the system tray (lower right of screen) and choose 'Properties'. On the 'General' tab, look for 'Symbol style', and choose the first option (「」・). That should eliminate the problem of the forward slash appearing when you hit that key.

If you are still not getting the proper interpunct at that point, let us know what symbol is appearing instead, and maybe we can offer other ideas.

Another place to look in 'Properties' is the 'Advanced' tab. Make sure the interpunct is set to 'Fullwidth'.

You can also hit the 'Reset to defaults' in the lower left of the 'Properties' window to see if that helps, but it would eliminate ALL customization you have made, so be careful with that.

I installed Google IME to check it out. It worked fine for me from the start.

I am therefore not sure what is wrong on your system, but have a suggestion for eliminating the appearance of the forward slash.

Right-click on the text icon just to the left of the main Google IME icon in the system tray (lower right of screen) and choose 'Properties'. On the 'General' tab, look for 'Symbol style', and choose the first option (「」・). That should eliminate the problem of the forward slash appearing when you hit that key.

If you are still not getting the proper interpunct at that point, let us know what symbol is appearing instead, and maybe we can offer other ideas.

Another place to look in 'Properties' is the 'Advanced' tab. Make sure the interpunct is set to 'Fullwidth'.

You can also hit the 'Reset to defaults' in the lower left of the 'Properties' window to see if that helps, but it would eliminate ALL customization you have made, so be careful with that.

That seems to have fixed the problem, thank you. I do like typing "/" as well however, so I will keep my settings to "/" by default and share an interesting trick I just learned accidentally: if you press "space" with "/," "・" is an option. It works vice versa too.

I don't know if this method works well in Google IME, but try typing "30fb" and then push "F5" key, or "2126" + F5. You can get "・" at least in MS-IME.

I've just installed the Google IME to see what all the fuss was about, and as Mike already suggested, なかてん gets it to show up just fine for me.

to get・or • I use the / key and hit spacebar to choose from the converted characters (I'm on mac but i remember doing this in google IME).

Back
Top Bottom