What's new

Help How to properly cheer on Twitch streamers in Japanese?

Jinxie

Registered
14 May 2022
I am currently studying Japanese with Genki textbook.

I have been watching Japanese Twitch streamers to immerse myself more into the language and have been able to chat lightly with them. However, when it comes to cheering on a streamer, I find myself worried about saying the wrong phrase. Would it be the same as cheering on a sports team?

I say the traditional がんばって often to wish them luck.

I am interested to know what else I could say in other circumstances!

For example: When they lose a match. When they win a match. Cheering them on to not give up. How to properly say, "Oh no!" when something bad happens in the game.

Google translate is so literal at times that I don't feel it helps in instances like this. My text book hasn't touched on this either so I appreciate the help. :)

good on you for trying to find realistic ways to put your new language skills to use! I'm afraid I'm neither young nor hip enough to use Twitch so I can't really speak to the Japanese game streaming culture, or the current internet slang, so aside from standard phrasing like がんばって、おつかれさま、おしい etc I would probably be learning new phrases myself.

When trying to find the appropriate phrase or response to a given situation, your best resource is going to be observing how native speakers react. I would spend more time looking at what other viewers say in the chat and start compiling new vocabulary lists from that with the context of what was going on when they were said, and you can look them up or post them here.

That is a good idea to see how they react during the stream! I am not the best at kanji so I have been using Google translate to help me a little through the conversations but it has been helping me learn. Listening to the streamer has helped me with some slang too. :)

I will be sure to share any new vocabulary on here so others can benefit!

Back
Top Bottom