What's new

Grammar

店員 is a common word that everybody knows.
店番 is uncommon (based on the fact that I didn't know it and because a Google search yields only 500K results vs 22M for the other).

Thank you. But おいしいし? Maybe, おいしい?
し is used to list verbs, adjectives or clauses, just like と for nouns.

−し
((接続助詞))
1 〔事柄を並べて示す〕
彼女は美しいし気立てもいい
「She is beautiful, and, moreover, [Besides being beautiful,] she is good-natured.
雨は降るしおなかはすくし,もう一歩も歩けなかった
What with rain and hunger, I was unable to walk a step further.
しの英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英

Is there a diffrence between 店員 and 店番?
The former refers to a clerk who is really employed by the shop, whereas the latter just means the one who looks after the shop, so it can be, for instance, a neighbor who is asked to look after the shop for a while. 店番 is also commonly used. Those two words have different meanings/functions, as I wrote above.

If I were to be in a class in Japan, or some other place I would want to ask to go to the restroom, is it okay to say 「トイレに行ってもいいですか」 or what?

Last edited:
Yesterday.
○○君、悪いけど店番頼めるかな。

店員 is an occupation, whereas 店番 is a role/task, so it's possible to say, for instance, 店員に店番を頼む.

based on the fact that I didn't know it
残念ながら根拠としてはちと弱そうですね。;)

Yesterday.
○○君、悪いけど店番頼めるかな。

店員 is an occupation, whereas 店番 is a role/task, so it's possible to say, for instance, 店員に店番を頼む.

残念ながら根拠としてはちと弱そうですね。;)
rikaikun extension is so useful thing, might feel like cheating.
Another question, what is level of formality or rudeness of メチャクチャ? Could you describe this word and situation it's used? (Saw/heard in some anime (Yes, I know, anime is no great source for learning Japanese if it's for real speaking))

There are words that are marked "usually written with kana [alone]. Should I learn how it's written in Kanji? What if I write them in Kanji?
P.S. please delete my post about deleting and your conversation, if it's okay for me to ask that

It differs depending on the word. Some are no problem in kanji, and some might not make much sense. I think you don't need to remember the kanji version in most cases.

P.S. please delete my post about deleting and your conversation, if it's okay for me to ask that
It contains useful information for other members now, so I think it's better not to delete it. It's OK you just delete the whole sentences and write something like "mispost" or "duplicate" next time, then moderators will notice and delete it.

It contains useful information for other members now, so I think it's better not to delete it. It's OK you just delete the whole sentences and write something like "mispost" or "duplicate" next time, then moderators will notice and delete it.
I mean your conversation with the other member in Japanese. Or it also contains useful information?

愛してる. Can you decompose it? What grammar is used? Is a verb in dictionary form or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean your conversation with the other member in Japanese. Or it also contains useful information?
VII. Post ownership, account and post deletion

Posts are considered the opinion of the poster and are not necessarily endorsed or approved by Japan Reference (JREF). When posting to the Japan Forum, you grant perpetual non-exclusive rights to Japan Reference (JREF) to republish, in any form, the posted material.

Please note that we do not delete accounts, posts and/or threads unless they violate our Forum Rules or Terms of Service.
Forum Rules | Japan Forum
It's not even off-topic, in the first place.

愛してる. Can you decompose it? What grammar is used? Is a verb in dictionary form or what?
a very common contraction of 愛して
Contraction (grammar) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you. But おいしいし? Maybe, おいしい?
after - i adjectives, - na adjectives + だ, and verbs in 連体形 (-u/ru form) indicates that some addition is about to follow. So in Toritoribe's example おいしいし indicates that in addition to being tasty it also possesses another attribute, being cheap in our case. Often times second part is omitted. One may say でも、あのレストランは高いし。Implying that there are some other things they don't like about that restaurant, maybe it's too noisy or staff is rude etc. Although the addition not necessarily attributes to the same object as し like: でも、あのレストランは高いし、この前食べてお腹いっぱい(だ)し、ちょっと忙しい。

Last edited:
Just an additional note. This is a bit advanced to you, but は works as a contrastive marker there, thus, it has a nuance that foods are tasty and reasonable, but there is something bad there (for instance, foods are good, but drinks are not, or the restaurant is noisy, not clean, always crowded, etc.). が is more appropriate in that case.

Could you possibly speak about this a little more? I had a feeling from the sentence with は that there was a reason they didn't like to go to the restaurant. Is there some type of implied が there? Do you know what I mean by that?

In English sometimes saying something nice about a place can imply that you want to go somewhere else even if you don't state it. I thought it might be something similar. Such as if someone were to ask you to go to a certain place to eat. A: "Would you like to go to this pizza place for dinner?" B: "That pizza place is okay, their food is pretty good." So in this case person B would be using the word okay to say that it's not their first place leaving an implied "but" so what B really is implying is "That pizza place is okay, their food is pretty good, but I prefer to go somewhere else."

Thought that might have been the case with the は in that case. xはいいですがy. (I'm terrible at explaining things)

After reading that thread though I understand what you meant.

Last edited:
Yes, 料理はおいしくて安いんですけど has that nuance as an answer to a question "How about that restaurant?". However, when it's said after あのレストランによく行きます。 as in the original, this clause just more clearly shows "foods are tasty and reasonable but (there is something bad)" than 料理はおいしくて安いですから, and can't connote "I don't want to go there".

Because of the function of the particles.

部屋は家族一緒で構いません。
みんなが出ていって一人になった。
あとを二人に託した。

Back
Top Bottom