What's new

Grammar

もらう【貰う】
7 〔「…してもらう」の形で〕
彼は論文を妹にワープロで打ってもらった
He had his sister type his essay on a word processor.
すぐに出て行ってもらいたい
I want you to get out of here at once.
部屋代はきちんと払ってもらいます
You are required to pay the rent regularly.
泳ぎ方を彼に教えてもらった
He taught me how to swim.
貰うの英語・英訳 - goo辞書 英和和英

"The -te form of a verb + もらう" means "to receive a favor of doing". There must be a chapter regarding so-called やりもらい動詞 in your textbook.
Please help me understand these two sentences! ~てもらう、~てくれる | Japan Forum

Why is ナ - radical ("narwhal") is written differently in different kaji? Like, one way in 左、友 and another in 怖い、右、布?
P.S. And there's no this radical in jisho.org's search by radical.

Why is ナ - radical ("narwhal") is written differently in different kaji? Like, one way in 左、友 and another in 怖い、右、布?
P.S. And there's no this radical in jisho.org's search by radical.

That's not the radical of any of those kanji.

Yeah, the radical(部首) of 左, 友, 怖, 右 and 布 is 工(こう/たくみ), 又(また), 忄(りっしんべん), 口(くち) and 巾(はば), respectively.

And, I would say Sultan just answered his own question on why learning to write Japanese is important. It is possible to rely on auto-conversion or some other program to help figure out kanji (and I do this all the time myself), but if you learn how to write them, you become less dependent on your gadgets, which isn't a bad thing.

Japanese stroke order is illogical | Japan Forum

By the way, you completely understand all your questions you scattered here and there, or give up to understand them in the end? Is there anything you say about it, in any way? You ignored all our replies.
I gave up on the blog here, I understand somethings, some I leave until I reach them or learn more.

I don't always answer when I understand, just not asking further questions about the thing.

That's not the radical of any of those kanji.
And, I would say Sultan just answered his own question on why learning to write Japanese is important. It is possible to rely on auto-conversion or some other program to help figure out kanji (and I do this all the time myself), but if you learn how to write them, you become less dependent on your gadgets, which isn't a bad thing.
It's not just possible, I use auto-conversion as more or less all people when typing in Japanese. So far I've understood that being learning to write is for remembering kanjis, developing ability to write by hand. But there's the idea that I may spend the time of learning to write on more learning to read. And whether there's really sifficient necessity to write in Japanese by hand. As long as I'm outside of Japan, what could I need to write by hand in Japanese? Even if I get to Japan, typing is much faster as far as Japanese is concerned, is not it? Either way, so far I keep learning writing anyway.

Then the site is simply wrong or misuses the term "radical". The site don't work for unregistered members, by the way.

I don't always answer when I understand, just not asking further questions about the thing.
You should inform it in some way instead of leaving the thread doing nothing. It is not an automatic answering machine but people who are answering your questions in this forum.

I am using wanikani site in addition to my previous things to learn Japanese, and there it was said that ナ is "narwhal" radical and
https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/左
https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/右
https://www.wanikani.com/kanji/友
all are said to contain that radical.

"Radical" refers specifically to the one single element under which the kanji is categorized for placement in a dictionary. Each of those kanji does indeed include that element, as can easily be seen. However, for none of those kanji is it the element used to determine what group it belongs to in a dictionary. In fact, there are no kanji at all that have this as their radical. As you can see, that element doesn't exist as a radical at all.

Not all elements are radicals.

Not all radicals are elements.

Then the site is simply wrong or misuses the term "radical". The site don't work for unregistered members, by the way.

You should inform it in some way instead of leaving the thread doing nothing. It is not an automatic answering machine but people who are answering your questions in this forum.
分かりました。ごめん。下に写真があります。
9b518-clip-75kb.png

"Radical" refers specifically to the one single element under which the kanji is categorized for placement in a dictionary. Each of those kanji does indeed include that element, as can easily be seen. However, for none of those kanji is it the element used to determine what group it belongs to in a dictionary. In fact, there are no kanji at all that have this as their radical. As you can see, that element doesn't exist as a radical at all.

Not all elements are radicals.

Not all radicals are elements.
分かりました。ありがとうございます

So, I'm currently at lesson 9, there's the word もらう
to get (from somebody) (person に thing を)
Then I'm doing an exercise on translation:
6. I don't think Mai received a letter from Mari.
So I wrote: まいさんはまりさん手紙をもらわなかったと思います。
But the answer key is
まいさんはまりさんから手紙をもらわなかったと思います。
Is it the same? Did I understand correctly the vocabulary text (1st quote) (I understood it as "to get smth from smb" has construction 誰か何かもらう).

When associated with もらう, yes. However, somehow まいさんはまりさんから手紙をもらわなかった sounds more natural to my ears.
に is a very versatile particle. It also can indicate the recipient when with あげる. On the other hand, から is always for the giver, so it's no risk of mistranslation or being misunderstood.
e.g.
giver: Takeshi, recipient: Mai
まいさんはたけしさんに/からプレゼントをもらった。

たけしさんはまいさんにプレゼントをあげた。
(In this sentence, たけしさんから is valid, but まいさんから is wrong.)

Thank you. から generally feels more natural to me here but I was concerned I was trying to hard to fit it into my English understanding.

Why 黄色い, but 金色、銀色、灰色? Can you give me a link with basic colors divided by type of adjectives?

Why 黄色い, but 金色、銀色、灰色? Can you give me a link with basic colors divided by type of adjectives?

Of that list, only 黄色い is an adjective; the others are all nouns.

v
The other colors don't have conjugation forms, but 黄色 and 茶色 are the only exceptions. These colors can work as i-adjectives when used with 色.
Thanks, very clear. I can say then 茶色の and 黄色の, too, right?
Of that list, only 黄色い is an adjective; the others are all nouns.
My bad. I should have written it another way.

Back
Top Bottom