What's new

Grammar

Both? 友達は近所に住んでいます?
外国語を習ったことがありません?
Yes and yes.

What's the sense of comma and "ー" sign there?
What the difference if it was just written 絶望に抗え?
It's dash ―, not the long vowel marker ー. It's for remaining an aftertaste/aftereffect.

速くなったほうがいいですよ。
It doesn't make sense.

I would say テキパキ動いた方がいいですよ。
I see, thanks.
What about these:
授業で先生を聞いて、ノートを書かなければいけません。
"You must listen to teacher and make notes at the class"
授業で勉強しなくて、電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
"You have to study at the lesson and not play games with the phone." (Can I say it, or another sentence where one must do one thing and not another, with なければいけません?)
うちを掃除して、料理(食べ物)を作らなければいけません。
"You must clean the house and make/cook the food/meals."
シャワーを浴びて、花を買わなければいけません。
"You must take a shower and buy flowers."
子供の時、学校に行って、授業に取らなければいけませんでした。
"As a child, I had to go to school and take classes."

Last edited:
授業で先生を聞いて、ノートを書かなければいけません。
"You must listen to teacher and make notes at the class"
先生を聞く doesn't make sense.
Similarly, ノート is not the object of 書く.

授業で勉強しなくて、電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
"You have to study at the lesson and not play games with the phone."
電話 usually can't refer to cellphone/smart phone.

(Can I say it, or another sentence where one must do one thing and not another, with なければいけません?)
It's impossible only with なければいけません. You need to use both なければいけません and てはいけません.

うちを掃除して、料理(食べ物)を作らなければいけません。
"You must clean the house and make/cook the food/meals."
シャワーを浴びて、花を買わなければいけません。
"You must take a shower and buy flowers."
The subject can be "I". You need to use a sentence final particle to avoid this ambiguity.

子供の時、学校に行って、授業に取らなければいけませんでした。
"As a child, I had to go to school and take classes."
授業に取る is wrong.

先生を聞く doesn't make sense.
Similarly, ノート is not the object of 書く.
授業で先生を聴いてノートを作らなければいけません。
電話 usually can't refer to cellphone/smart phone.
授業で勉強しなくて、携帯電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
It's impossible only with なければいけません. You need to use both なければいけません and てはいけません.
Like 勉強しなければいけないで、授業をサボってはいけません?("You must study and must not cut classes")
The subject can be "I". You need to use a sentence final particle to avoid this ambiguity.
うちを掃除して、料理(食べ物)を作らなければいけません
シャワーを浴びて、花を買わなければいけません
授業に取る is wrong.
子供の時、学校に行って、授業に出なければいけませんでした。
ーーーーー
Do you read その他 as そのほか or そのた? Can I translate it as "Miscellaneous"?
Shouldn't there be 医 in the end of each word (besides 医者)?
Clip2Net — screen capture tool for Windows, Android, iPad, Mac, Linux

Last edited:
授業で先生を聴いてノートを作らなければいけません。
The problem is in the choice of the particle, not kanji.

授業で勉強しなくて、携帯電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
I said it's impossible, i.e., 勉強しなくて is wrong, too.

The -te form can't be used there. Instead, し is used to list examples.

うちを掃除して、料理(食べ物)を作らなければいけません
シャワーを浴びて、花を買わなければいけません
子供の時、学校に行って、授業に出なければいけませんでした。
You got it.

Do you read その他 as そのほか or そのた? Can I translate it as "Miscellaneous"?
It depends on the context/situation. Both might be possible or only one of them might be correct. The same goes to the meaning.

Shouldn't there be 医 in the end of each word (besides 医者)?
It's said "office", i.e., it doesn't refer to doctors.

The problem is in the choice of the particle, not kanji.
授業で先生に聞いて、ノートに書かなければいけません。
I said it's impossible, i.e., 勉強しなくて is wrong, too.
授業で勉強しなければいけませんし、携帯電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
勉強しなければいけないし、授業をサボってはいけません。

授業で先生に聞いて、ノートに書かなければいけません。
先生に聞く means "to ask teacher". Actually, what you must listen to is what teacher says in the class. You need to say in that way in Japanese.

授業で勉強しなければいけませんし、携帯電話でゲームをしてはいけません。
It's not wrong, but 授業中 would sound more natural than 授業で.

勉強しなければいけないし、授業をサボってはいけません。
いけない is non-polite.

先生に聞く means "to ask teacher". Actually, what you must listen to is what teacher says in the class. You need to say in that way in Japanese.
I exactly thought that it means "to ask" but couldn't guess better particle after を. (at least is it correct to say "to listen to music" as 音楽を聴く?)
It's not wrong, but 授業中 would sound more natural than 授業で.
I understand, I've seen 中 in such meaning somewhere if I remember correctly, so no problem for me.
授業中先生が言うことを聞いて、ノートに書かなければいけませんよ。(Now that I think about it, I probably should よ for clearance here, too? Also, can I add に,は, comma or any combinations of these after 授業中? What sense would it make then?)
授業中勉強しなければいけませんし、携帯電話でゲームをしてはいけませんよ。
勉強しなければいけませんし、授業をサボってはいけませんよ。

You finally got it.

at least is it correct to say "to listen to music" as 音楽を聴く?
"Music" is exactly what you listen to, but you actually listen to what teacher says, not teacher, as I wrote.

Now that I think about it, I probably should よ for clearance here, too? Also, can I add に,は, comma or any combinations of these after 授業中? What sense would it make then?
は can have a contrastive nuance, but the meaning is basically the same with/without に or comma after 授業中.

It should be 鍵をなくしたみたいなんです。or something like that for #4, but 鍵をなくした doesn't make much sense as a reason of 緊張している in the first place.

食堂の食べ物は味気なすぎます。(The food in the cafeteria is too insipid)
味気なすぎます

Does 禁漁期 mean moderator?
禁漁期 - Jisho.org
It's translated "as closed season for fishing or hunting"
It exactly means "closed season for fishing" (猟 is used for hunting).

It should be 鍵をなくしたみたいなんです。or something like that for #4, but 鍵をなくした doesn't make much sense as a reason of 緊張している in the first place.
Well, I thought one could get nervous thinking he had probably lost his key which would prove to result in problems like not being able to open the door of his house or car or something else. Let it be 試験が難しかったんです。(How do I say "I think I probably did bad on exam? Maybe 試験が悪かったみたいんです or 試験で悪くしたみたいんです?)
As far as I understood 新た is used rarelier than 新しい. Is there a difference in meaning and time when it's preferable to used 新た?

If I want to say I do a thing every day/regularly, how do I know whether to use います or ています? It's 英語を教えています for I (regularly) teach English but I read newspapers everyday is 毎日、新聞を読みます (I don't really know why there's a comma).

Does 行けなければいけません (must go) sound okay?
For example, 買い物に行けなければいけません。

Well, I thought one could get nervous thinking he had probably lost his key which would prove to result in problems like not being able to open the door of his house or car or something else. Let it be 試験が難しかったんです。(How do I say "I think I probably did bad on exam? Maybe 試験が悪かったみたいんです or 試験で悪くしたみたいんです?)
The point is that 緊張している in Japanese is not completely the same as "to be nervous" in English. 緊張している doesn't fit that situation. The same goes to 試験が難しかった or 試験の結果が悪かった. 緊張している can't be used for the result after you got an exam. See the example sentences in the dictionary.
彼女は試験に対して緊張している。
She is nervous about the test.

私は学校に行くことにまだ緊張している。
I am still nervous about going to school.

彼らは試験のことでとても緊張している.
They are all keyed up about an exam.

面接を受ける人は待合室でやや緊張しているようだった。
The interviewee looked a little bit nervous in the waiting room.

試験の結果が発表されるまで我々はみな緊張していることだろう.
We will all be on the rack until the exam results are published.

先生がとびとびにあてるので, 生徒はたえず緊張している.
As the teacher calls on the students at random, they have to keep on their toes.
「"緊張している"」に関連した英語例文の一覧 - Weblio英語例文検索

As far as I understood 新た is used rarelier than 新しい. Is there a difference in meaning and time when it's preferable to used 新た?
新た is mostly used as the adverbial form 新たに or the attributive form 新たな. 新たな sounds classical than 新しい, but the meaning is the same.

If I want to say I do a thing every day/regularly, how do I know whether to use います or ています? It's 英語を教えています for I (regularly) teach English but I read newspapers everyday is 毎日、新聞を読みます
毎日、新聞を読んでいます has no problem. This -te iru form expresses the present habit. The key is the temporal adverb or adverbial phrase/clause. 今、英語を教えています can be the present progressive, and 先生は英語のことわざを毎朝一つずつ教えます is the present habit. The type of the verb (punctual verb, durative verb, state verb, etc.) is also the key, though.

(I don't really know why there's a comma).
There is a well-known newspaper 毎日新聞, so 毎日新聞を読みます can mean "I read Mainichi Shimbun".

Does 行けなければいけません (must go) sound okay?
For example, 買い物に行けなければいけません。
No. 行ける is the potential form, so 行けなければいけません means "must be able to go".

Genki - Answer Key.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Genki - Answer Key.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
If I am not mistaken it means something like "cloudy weather with rain sometimes". But I don't really get how they are connected, at one place, "rain" is going first, and at another, "cloudy weather" is. 曇り is noun, right?
Can I answer 日本語のクラスは宿題が多いと思いますか with 多いと思いません? Just 思いません? 多くないと思います is correct as I far as I know.

I'd appreciate it if you could check this, too FLTに出た方いいです。

I think in this case both 雨 and くもり(曇り)function as adjectives, describing the weather. (rainy with occasional cloudiness). Or, if くもり comes first, the weather is predominately cloudy with occasional rain.

Can I answer 日本語のクラスは宿題が多いと思いますか with 多いと思いません? Just 思いません? 多くないと思います is correct as I far as I know.
多いと思いません? is a question, so you would be answering a question with another question. It would be OK if you removed the question mark.

For the FLT questions, if the question is structured as 何をしたほうがいいですか? aren't they expecting your answer to come in the same format? ~をしたほうがいいです。

多いと思いません? is a question, so you would be answering a question with another question. It would be OK if you removed the question mark.
I think the question mark is for "Can I answer" at the top of the sentence, i.e., his question.;)
Those are all correct, as Majestic-san wrote, but I would answer いいえ、そうは思いません instead of just 思いません.

I'd appreciate it if you could check this, too FLTに出た方いいです。
6)
Besides the things Majestic-san pointed out, you need to use ~た方がいい/~ない方がいい also for the first clause.

7)
There is a typo ~た方いいです.
It means "it's better to do", not "must".
出る is not appropriate for "to visit".

8)
You can't use the -tai form with potential forms. 見られたい is only used as the -tai form of the passive form or as a classical form of 見てほしい/見て下さい (見られる is an honorific form in this case). The latter is a written language.

Thanks. That's right, the question mark exactly is for "Can I answer".
For the FLT questions, if the question is structured as 何をしたほうがいいですか? aren't they expecting your answer to come in the same format? ~をしたほうがいいです。
No, they aren't expecting ~をしたほうがいいです but likely ~た方がいいです. Sample answer from answers book is (かぜの時、)ゆっくり休んだ方がいいです。
I would answer いいえ、そうは思いません instead of just 思いません.
Neat. Can I say「いいえ、そうでは思いません」?
you need to use ~た方がいい/~ない方がいい also for the first clause.
So if want to give more than one piece of advice, I have to attach 方がいい to each one?
6.「寒い所にいない方がよくて、冷たい飲み物を飲まない方がいいです」
7.「FLTを訪ねなければいけません」
8.「日本語で動画や本を分かりたいからです」

No, they aren't expecting ~をしたほうがいいです but likely ~た方がいいです.
I believe Majestic-san meant ~をしたほうがいいです as ~た方がいいです, i.e., "affirmative + 方がいい", while you used ~ない方がいいです in your answer.

Can I say「いいえ、そうでは思いません」?
No, you can't use そうでは with 思いません.

So if want to give more than one piece of advice, I have to attach 方がいい to each one?
6.「寒い所にいない方がよくて、冷たい飲み物を飲まない方がいいです」
It's the same as this case.

8.「日本語で動画や本を分かりたいからです」
Sounds very awkward. Haven't you learned a structure for listing actions ~たり…たり (e.g. ~たり…たりしたい or ~たり…たりしない方がいい) yet?

I believe Majestic-san meant ~をしたほうがいいです as ~た方がいいです, i.e., "affirmative + 方がいい", while you used ~ない方がいいです in your answer.
Oh, I see, my bad.
No, you can't use そうでは with 思いません.
Okay, そうは seems to sound sort of awkward to me, as far as pronunciation is concerned.
Sounds very awkward. Haven't you learned a structure for listing actions ~たり…たり (e.g. ~たり…たりしたい or ~たり…たりしない方がいい) yet?
Indeed, I have.
日本語で動画を分かったり、本を分かったりしたいから。
Shall I better use 日本の instead, or add 日本語で before 本, too?
By the way, I've just read about potential verbs in Genki, and I am now on し topic.
eec1a-clip-48kb.jpg

If I am to use polite form should I use long form before し?

Okay, I saw in the page bottom note it's said to be used with long forms in the very polite speech style.
It says when we use ~そうです("it looks like"), we are guessing what something is like on the basis of our impressions, or when we lack conclusive evidence. Can I say "That guy seems like a bad person, but [ he is actually a really kind one ] /
[ I think / know he is actually really kind ]" ? Like, when some person has some impression, but I don't think that way?
Also, can I use it with noun? (It's described only about adjectives and verbs). For example, some guy is seemingly student: この人は学生そうです。or 学生そうな人銀行に入りました。? (A person who seems to be a student entered a bank)

「あなた、もしは傲慢でありませんですかね~」
Why is there です after ありません, it shouldn't be after a verb, right? (I heard it an anime)

日本語で動画を分かったり、本を分かったりしたいから。
わかる is hardly used in that context (or rather, 動画 or 本 is not appropriate as the object of わかる).

Shall I better use 日本の instead, or add 日本語で before 本, too?
日本の doesn't always mean "in Japanese language". 日本の本 can refer to "English translation of a Japanese book" or "English book regarding Japan", for instance.
It's enough to say 日本語で just once at the top of the sentence.

If I am to use polite form should I use long form before し?
Yes, but ~たり…たりしたいからです is also polite enough.

Okay, I saw in the page bottom note it's said to be used with long forms in the very polite speech style.
It says when we use ~そうです("it looks like"), we are guessing what something is like on the basis of our impressions, or when we lack conclusive evidence. Can I say "That guy seems like a bad person, but [ he is actually a really kind one ] /
[ I think / know he is actually really kind ]" ? Like, when some person has some impression, but I don't think that way?
Also, can I use it with noun? (It's described only about adjectives and verbs). For example, some guy is seemingly student: この人は学生そうです。or 学生そうな人銀行に入りました。? (A person who seems to be a student entered a bank)
Isn't there any explanation about the form that is connected to ~そう of that meaning in the textbook?

「あなた、もしは傲慢でありませんですかね~」
Why is there です after ありません, it shouldn't be after a verb, right? (I heard it an anime)
You misheard もしは since it doesn't make sense. (I guess it would be もしや.)
Yes, it's ungrammatical. It's used there to add a nuance of 慇懃無礼 "polite on the surface but actually contemptuous" by a seemingly ultra-polite form.

Back
Top Bottom