What's new

Grammar

How do I say someone intends to do something when it's more than one thing using つもり? For example, Mary intends to go shopping and eat Korean food in Korea? メアリーさんは韓国で買い物して、韓国の食べ物食べるつもりです?

"お腹なか空く - to become hungry"
"私達はまだあまりお腹空いていない。"
Why は not が? I also thought that nounがadjective is used with が but I if remember correctly I've seen it は, too.

は works as the contrastive marker there, thus, お腹は空いていない has a nuance that you are not hungry but... (for instance, you are thirsty, you are tired, etc.).

は works as the contrastive marker there, thus, お腹は空いていない has a nuance that you are not hungry but... (for instance, you are thirsty, you are tired, etc.).
Okay, thank you. Could you translate and explain the underlined sentence? ので part is the problem.

Attachments

• Clip2net_160626200428.png
    Clip2net_160626200428.png
    261.2 KB · Views: 96
The clause preceding ので indicates the cause/reason of the main clause; "because".

1) Why 何もなりたくなかった, not 何にも?
2) Why not 誰にも? Or both are okay?

Attachments

• Clip2net_160630023837.png
    Clip2net_160630023837.png
    295.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Clip2net_160630024305.png
    Clip2net_160630024305.png
    56 KB · Views: 103
1)
The given answer is wrong (probably just a typo). The correct answer is 何にも.

2)
You want to become "something/an occupation", not "someone". It's What do you want to become? , and not Whom do you want to become? also in English, right?

1)
The given answer is wrong (probably just a typo). The correct answer is 何にも.

2)
You want to become "something/an occupation", not "someone". It's What do you want to become? , and not Whom do you want to become? also in English, right?
I understand both English versions are probably usable. Anyway, I speak Russian, and in Russian it's "Whom do you want to become?". "What" in Russian is generally used for inanimated objects and maybe for animals. Actually, I want to become someone, not smth. I mean, we don't call people "a thing" as I understand. Policeman, firefighter, singer are "Who" not "What" is how I understand. That's why "What do you want to become" feeks kinda awkward to me, I guess. Anyway, it's my understanding, thanks for clarifying.

Again, the questioner is talking about the kind of occupation/profession, not a person/people. That's why 何 is used, not 誰. (Another way of saying; It's "what kind of occupation", not "who", right?)

Again, the questioner is talking about the kind of occupation/profession, not a person/people. That's why 何 is used, not 誰. (Another way of saying; It's "what kind of occupation", not "who", right?)
Yeah, okay. Thank you very much.

What word do you use to say "more or less"? For example, "He can more or less speak English" or "His grades are more or less satisfactory".
Can I say "一応英語をはなします"?

What word do you use to say "more or less"? For example, "He can more or less speak English" or "His grades are more or less satisfactory".
Can I say "一応英語をはなします"?

No. Largely because there is nothing there which indicates "can". Have you learned how to create the potential form of verbs yet?

No. Largely because there is nothing there which indicates "can". Have you learned how to create the potential form of verbs yet?
Yes, but "to more or less speak English" is also fine, right? How is 「多少英語を話せます」or「英語を多少話せます」? How does 「だいたい英語を話せます」sound?

Last edited:
How is 「多少英語を話せます」or「英語を多少話せます」? How does 「だいたい英語を話せます」sound?
The first two is OK. 大体 expresses frequency; something like "almost always".

What is difference between 強力な and 強い?
Roughly; powerful vs. strong. The latter is broader in meaning.

Please, check my translations.
2)
You can omit 私の.

7)
It describes "no experience".

2)
You can omit 私の
Both? 友達は近所に住んでいます?
7)
It describes "no experience".
外国語を習ったことがありません?
=====
What's the sense of comma and "ー" sign there?
What the difference if it was just written 絶望に抗え?
http://cs636526.vk.me/v636526773/15859/cO6xQJNa-1o.jpg

Please, check my sentences
A: 痩せたいんです。
B: たべすぎないほうがいいですよ。
もっと運動したいほうがいいですよ。
A: 友達とけんかしたんです。
B: 友達と話したほうがいいですよ。
A: お金がないんです。
B: 買いすぎないほうがいいですよ。
働いたほうがいいですよ。
A: 成績が悪いんです。
B: もっと勉強したほうがいいですよ。